Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picked up a Vanson Comet

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Was traveling through the west side of Wisconsin this weekend and stopped at Croixland Leather in Osceola. Ended up picking up a Vanson Comet because it fit so well, and I have been wanting a jacket with only two chest pockets for a while. Similar to my model b, but fits better (more "v" shaped). Vanson claims that the Comet is 24" so I never considered one, but this one is 25" - just covers my belt. Got a good deal too. Leather is a bit lighter than my other Vansons, but I'm kind of over super heavy, stiff, it hurts to wear it leather... I know that's heresy around here... Lol!

Model b will be going up in the classifieds.

Attachments

• 0FECA6B4-7BFB-49D7-8967-4894F735EDAF.jpeg
    0FECA6B4-7BFB-49D7-8967-4894F735EDAF.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 3,589
  • ED2382C0-A8F7-465A-8FE2-425C1BCBECE0.jpeg
    ED2382C0-A8F7-465A-8FE2-425C1BCBECE0.jpeg
    897.5 KB · Views: 3,545

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice fit. In the past Vanson has been very particular about the thickness of their competition weight jackets. It could be that this isn't a competition weigh jacket?

Last edited:
Yep, fits you great! Looks great too tho they must've changed the tanneries or something. Haven't handled this new(er) stuff. Wonder what it's like.

My competition weight Vanson stood on its own for months, maybe a year. Now it is relatively soft and very easy to wear.
That hide is gone. At least for now. The z150 will stand up but it's not as thick. The angry comp weight of old seems to have sailed on.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Yeah, as noted in other threads, Vanson lost their tannery a while back that made what we refer to as "old" or "vintage" competition weight leather. If I'm not mistaken, they've been working with a couple of tanneries trying to nail down their leather. The new stuff isn't as smooth (old was glass smooth), and it's thinner. The biggest difference is the feel. As Ton commented, way softer which for me is a good thing. I sold my Lost Worlds J23, which was by far the most beautiful jacket I ever saw, because it was just a chore to wear (too heavy, too long in the front, and not enough mobility). After nearly a decade of super stiff heavy leather, I'm leaning towards softer. Don't get me wrong Vanson is still a solid riding jacket with heavy leather... by no means a fashion jacket.

^Agreed. Kind of like sausage and pepperoni. Both are unique and both are good. Of course it's best when they are served together.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on the Comet! I picked one up a little while back here from the classifieds and it has become one of my go to jackets. Simple, stylish, and easy to wear.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m gonna be riding New Glarus to Mount Horeb tomorrow in my model B...thats WI, and home of spotted cow beer!
I’ve been really trying to put time in on this Vanson. I don’t know what their older leather was like, but tougher than this would drive a man insane.

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
I emailed Vanson about their new leather, the response was rather.. Harsh.

It is funny because it's contradictory to their "never compromise" statement.

My Comet is the older comp. weight. Pretty much broken in at this point. My Hardcore Highwayman is the new leather, not as broken in but definitely worn. One would be hard pressed to see or feel the difference. Feel equally thick. The Comet is a bit glossier in areas, but in others identical to the Hardcore. Both go on line armor. That said, I prefer the shinier leathers so if I could magically snap my fingers, “to the old”. The new stuff ain’t no slouch though. I still like it better than most everything else.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I bought the exact same Vanson Comet jacket brand new from a Motorcycle shop retailer here in Australia 6 months ago

Clearout of Vanson new stock. My Comet was a 44 and fits snug ( like they are supposed to !)

Zips real close in the sleeves , again like a motorcycle jacket should, and I really like it.

It is not too heavy , and is actually now my go to motorcycling jacket on a warmer day , say 28 to 30C

20 to 28 C I will wear one of my Schott options or one of my Eastman Luftwaffe incarnations

I also bought a Vanson Sturgis size "L" at the same time from the same retailer, Zip draught sleeves/back are wonderful !

If I leave the house early doors say 14C , and it has to be 35 by midday , that is the jacket for those days !

Now these Vanson jackets were an excellent buy at the time , especially considering the now automatic 10% that will apply to any US/UK sourced jackets bought on ebay or whatever and shipped to Australia. Add eBay's "global shipping" cost ( NON NEGOTIABLE !!) to that and you have a real expensive proposition !

Last edited:

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I’m gonna be riding New Glarus to Mount Horeb tomorrow in my model B...thats WI, and home of spotted cow beer!
I’ve been really trying to put time in on this Vanson. I don’t know what their older leather was like, but tougher than this would drive a man insane.

I have a model b as well and am debating if I want to sell or keep for riding. It's such an amazing jacket that I don't know if I can sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB