Pictures of black Aero Highwayman?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HeyZeusPenguin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. HeyZeusPenguin

HeyZeusPenguin Familiar Face

In the future i'm getting an aero, and the one that i feel is the best choice is a highwayman. I typically prefer black jackets, as i wear black boots and dont really like too much wear show, more common in brown shades. Does anyone have any pictures of a black highwayman? Preferably in the heavy steerhide. But anything works.

Mawashi likes this.
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. HeyZeusPenguin

Whats the difference? I only know about the Heavy CX Steerhide. Its 1.7 mm according to a worker from Aeros.

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

The fit.
    Here is @breezer’s jacket he sold...always thought it was the best example.
    4BDA47CF-47A0-467B-A86E-2FF6E066FE2A.jpeg DD9209C1-F61D-4E55-AE2A-DD4016EB01DD.jpeg

Here was mine:
    C0B63564-AB6A-4820-9CD3-563A3FE7765B.jpeg

5. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

It's not 1.7mm. It's about 1.4mm. A CLX steerhide jacket from Aero will come in at roughly the same weight as a Vanson of the same size, which is 6ish lbs in a size 40.

As for pictures, there's a search function on the top right of your screen and then there's google. There's thousands of pictures of Aeros black leather as well as of the HWM.

edit: The CLX goes from black to brown over time. How fast depends on batch. If you don't like that, get black vicenca, that one is black dyed through.

nick123 likes this.
  6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I don’t think the steer wears as quickly as the horsehide.

7. Psant25

Psant25 Practically Family

Here are two of mine black cxl hh. A chips and zip sleeve DEA9192E-A1F3-47D7-A4DA-AAE8C1125995.jpeg 93B0087F-0AD1-4B0B-B33F-86428A6533CC.jpeg

8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Wow, That Highwayman is gorgeous! I can’t imagine my CXL horsehide ever looking like that. Your hide is something special. I don’t think it’s Horween.

Psant25 likes this.
  9. HeyZeusPenguin

Oh thats a bummer! I dont think the vicenza is quite as thick as i would like it :/. The lady at aero must have said wrong then. She said the Heavy steer was about 1.7 and the FQHH was about 1.5. Does Aero offer to make a jacket in a heavier vicenza (in case you know)?

Edit: Vicenza is mid-weight horse hide right? If so thats not what im looking for. How brown exactly will CX get?

10. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Zip sleeve/Black Steerhide. It will, in years' time, gradually show brown.
    5BB3E831-AA71-46B9-89B8-104006131FA0.jpeg

11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Beautiful Nick! I would go for steerhide or grainy Vicenza over CXL FQHH if ordering a new jacket.

nick123 likes this.
  12. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Agree 1000%. And Vicenza mostly retains its color. Rare these days to find a non-tea core vegetable tanned leather (while still exemplifying slight color nuances). Maybe pigment Shinki...Both are excellent choices!

And for black...is it the most vibrant of choices when brown and cordovan are out there? Probably not. But it's a highly wearable, somewhat more conservative color. Understated elegance. Just wish mine had a tartan lining. Super essential lol. Right now, I'm glued to dark seal personally...

13. Psant25

Psant25 Practically Family

My zip sleeve i asked for “extra grainy” hh. It is tumbled black cxl hh at least that is what I ordered. It sure looks better than when new. Was quite “wrinkly” appearing at first that has sort of gone away and left just grain for days. My proprietary break in process and a brief warm water soak helped a lot with that.

14. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

The Tumbled FQHH is the Way to go for HH then!

Psant25 likes this.
  16. HeyZeusPenguin

Does both FQHH And heavy steer CXL have the teacore effect?

17. breezer

breezer Practically Family

haha, I never thought that one fitted me.......you making me have sellers regret! Maybe its its not so much the fit as I never wore it.......wasnt really my style so I moved it on and got an A2 in black - I think I am more of a bomber jacket guy.

Psant25 and jonesy86 like this.
  18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

The A-2 is pretty great too!

breezer likes this.
  19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

FQHH is a a firm and often quite dense 1.2mm or 3oz. Vicneza is marketed as a mid-weight and around 2.5oz. As always batches vary slightly according to whatever qualities they may have at the time, slightly heavier, denser, softer or lighter, etc. I do nor recall Aero ever having 1.7mm in stock.

20. HeyZeusPenguin

Well, if i buy one ill definetely ask for their heaviest batch! But ill probably have to contemplate whether i want FQHH or steer, its a hard decision.