Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid fedoras: yea or nay?

PhilosophyDragoon

New in Town
Gents,

I would like to present to you a query that has occupied many a thought of mine. What are your opinions on plaid fedoras? A friend of mine wears them quite frequently; here is a picture of one I've borrowed a few times, myself:

mzZ08.jpg

I do, however, find that plaid hats can clash with the more vintage 20s/30s style I try to go for, myself. I would also like to propose another hypothesis: can the size of one's nose act as a determinant of the extent to which one can successfully pull off a certain type of fedora? As I mentioned, my friend wears plaid fedoras often, and he has quite a large nose. In fact, it's even become an inside joke among our group of friends - whenever he poses a question, someone rejoins with, "who nose?" I have more of a flat nose, myself, and I wonder if this interferes with my being able to wear plaid fedoras - I think he pulls them off much better than I do.

So does anyone else have any plaid fedora success stories? Or inspiration for incorporating them into a more vintage inspired wardrobe? Or should they be avoided being worn all together? Thanks, gents.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
PD, welcome to the lounge - personally I'd say Nay to fabric fedoras!

If you are looking to come up with a 20/30's style, you could do a lot worse than checking out these threads on the forum:

Pre-1940's Stetsons

Pre-1940's Other Brands

You'll find great examples and good info on hats worn in your period of interest.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... uh (this is akward)

....no.

excuse me... :puke:
[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/3514/saturday-night-live-fred-garvin-male-prostitute[/video]

Gents,

I would like to present to you a query that has occupied many a thought of mine. What are your opinions on plaid fedoras? A friend of mine wears them quite frequently; here is a picture of one I've borrowed a few times, myself:

mzZ08.jpg

I do, however, find that plaid hats can clash with the more vintage 20s/30s style I try to go for, myself. I would also like to propose another hypothesis: can the size of one's nose act as a determinant of the extent to which one can successfully pull off a certain type of fedora? As I mentioned, my friend wears plaid fedoras often, and he has quite a large nose. In fact, it's even become an inside joke among our group of friends - whenever he poses a question, someone rejoins with, "who nose?" I have more of a flat nose, myself, and I wonder if this interferes with my being able to wear plaid fedoras - I think he pulls them off much better than I do.

So does anyone else have any plaid fedora success stories? Or inspiration for incorporating them into a more vintage inspired wardrobe? Or should they be avoided being worn all together? Thanks, gents.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I had a plaid Goorin Bros. stingy. I tried selling it on Ebay, kept reducing the price until I finally just gave it to someone. A friend had given it to me and I looked so goofy in it--- so much so that I never even wore it. Plus, my wife HATED it. I say nay to the plaid fedora.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I give it a 'qualified' .......well OK if you must.

If it gets more men (you will note by our avatars that we are all MUCH older than you) into the hat wearing habit then - go for it, but please seek out a more 'proper' hat for your older years.

MP

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am not totally opposed to fabric 'fedoras,' even if I would never wear one myself. But plaid, and in particular, the plaid pictured here, I would have to say no.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
If it gets a person starting to wear hats I am all for it. Wearing hats is a journey. This may be someone's first step to wearing a hat never want to discourage that first step. We all have bad first hats. :)

It is all about the concept of fashions, trends and what group you're hanging out with. If the group you're with is ok with them and you're not blowing rent money to get one -fine.

Degustibus non est desputandum. You can't argue taste.
For me i would not consider them under almost any circumstance I can imagine. They don't suit my tates wouldnot go well with what i wear and might attract physical attacks with verbal abuse. So feel free to indulge for your self.:flypig:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not totally opposed to fabric 'fedoras,' even if I would never wear one myself. But plaid, and in particular, the plaid pictured here, I would have to say no.

clothfed-1.jpg

This is a proper fabric fedora in medium weight canvas & if they could be had, I'd own a dozen.

Even this:
14761.jpg

but no this:
FredGarvin2.jpg

or
targetfedora.jpg
:nono:

my .o2

tealseal

A-List Customer
If it gets a person starting to wear hats I am all for it. Wearing hats is a journey. This may be someone's first step to wearing a hat never want to discourage that first step. We all have bad first hats. :)

Welcome to the Lounge! It's true that it very much depends on what fashion you/your friend is going for. If you're going for a more sophisticated style, then I think you'll need to pass on the stingy linen and get a felt. I've seen some people pull off plaid linen fedoras well enough, but they were more concerned about the hat being a purely stylistic accessory to their designer jeans and polos than having a hat as a functional piece. I don't like the look; I like my hats to be useful as well as stylish, but whatever works.
I had a bad first hat like everyone else; encourage your friend to upgrade!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner