Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me choose the right hat for my TV appearance!

silvershadow

New in Town
Hello Loungers!

I'm flying from Sydney to Melbourne tomorrow to film my appearance on "Australia's Got Talent". I've chosen the suit but I can't decide which hat to wear. I'd prefer to wear one of my Homburgs? Which do you like?

Herbert%20Johnston%20Homburg_edited-1.jpg

Herbert Johnston, London, c.1940s Brown Homburg

---------------------------------------------
Akubra_Brown_Homburg.jpg

Custom made Akubra Brown Homburg. (Custom made because Akubra generally only make them in Black or Grey)

Akubra%20New%20Grey.jpg

My most recent acquisition, a beautiful Grey Homburg in size 61. Just picked it up two weeks ago.

Stetson%20by%20Akubra%20Black%20Homburg.jpg

Stetson made in Australia under licence by Akubra. When I purchased this hat new about fifteen years ago it cost $80. I wish they were still that price now!

Sid%20Beck's%20Bowler%20Hat.jpg

This 1920s Bowler hat belonged to a very famous Australian Comedian, Sid Beck, who died in tragic circumstances in the 1940s. His body was found lying dead next to a railway track in Brisbane. I don't want to wear this on the programme for the simple reason that I have a new Christy's Bowler hat on the way from Miller Hats and would prefer to wear it when I hopefully get through to the next round.

Thanks for viewing and any feedback will be gratefully received! If you're in Australia, please vote for me!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
The custom Akubra and pulled down like in the 2nd pic!:D

Yep - they all seem to be a little small and riding high...

And if I'm sticking my foot in my mouth, forgive me - is that the suit you're going to wear? Was the lighting where & when the pictures were taken a little dodgy, or might the camera have been acting up? I ask because it appears to be gray but there's some blue strobing or similar effect in the photos. I know TV does some strange things with otherwise non-descript patterns. I remember a couple Tonight Shows where Johnny or a guest wore something striped or checked that had the cameras going berserk for the veiwers at home. Again - it could just be the example photos - maybe there was blue lighting around and most of it was washed out with the camera flash, just leaving some "bluing" in the shadows.

If the suit's gray - I'd say the gray as first choice, black as second. If the suit's more of an olive or brown, I'd go with brown Akubra. That's just personal preference with me - brown with earth tones, gray with black, blue or grays. I'm just one who has never liked mixing brown with blues or grays or black.

Stoney

Practically Family
My 2 Cents

Wear the Herbert Johnson Homburg, It appears to be an extension of yourself, rather than just another hat. The end result is that it just looks better on you. I assume this is due to you being most comfortable in the HJ.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

FATS88

One of the Regulars
I like the grey homburg (3rd pic) on you the best,
and it complements your tie as well.

"Break a leg"

FATS88

silvershadow

New in Town
thanks for the comments

Thank you all so much for the great comments - I really appreciate your time in giving me the replies.

I think it's the Herbert Johnson or the new grey Akubra Homburg.

The suit is a 'tonic' or 'shot' material - it's essentially grey with a sort of brown/orange woven through it. My tailor tells me it was a popular material in the 1950s - and when I saw the bolt of material in the shop I thought it would look good under the lights when I'm playing the piano on stage. Since then I've had other similar suits made in green and blue with that orange/brown going through it. Usually I'd wear a dinner suit, but they don't want heavy black fabrics on camera.

Thanks again! Glenn.

Foofoogal

Banned
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
You are marvelous no matter what you wear!

Loved this one:
the Linda Barcan/Glenn Amer "Femme Fatale" showreel

Ande1964

Practically Family
I like the Herbert!

And, I'm so glad your friend shared that link. You're remarkaly talented... Bravo!

Anj

wldthistle

New in Town
Another vote for the Herbert. To me, it looks the most dignified. I'm new at this though, so I'd also say to wear what you're most comfortable in!

Break a leg!

-Greg

Socrets

Familiar Face
I think the Herbert Johnson Homburg looks best on you. To me, the Akubra looks a little small and the gray hats don't really complement the way the suit glows. By the way, I actually kind like the nice ethereal effect that the flash had on your suit. You'll definitely look sharp in front of the camera. Don't forget to break a leg!!! (Heck, go for the full body cast!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I like the Herbert Johnson. Do you have clips of your act on Youtube? Maybe seeing you perform will help us decide. At any rate, please post clips of your performance afterward. Break a leg!!!

J.B.

Practically Family
Yes, let us know how this turns out!

Oh BTW...
Lord Rabscalion said:
Hello All. I have enjoyed reading your wonderful forum and have always wanted to post...

...Thank you Lord, for your presence here today.

dnjan

One Too Many
Agree on the Herbert Johnston. I think that the Akubra brim is just a bit small for your face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran