Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me find this book!

Edward

Bartender
Some months ago, I read about a series of novels on the "What are you reading?" thread. Now I can't find them on there for the life of me - nor can I find anything similar anywhere online. I know I didn't halucinate them!

The basic premise was that a detective from the 30s and one from the present day had been somehow switched in time. The present-day guy refused to leave the 30s, so the 30s detective was stuck in what was for him something of a dystopian future. The books are the latter's story.

Anyone able to offer any help identifying this?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Some months ago, I read about a series of novels on the "What are you reading?" thread. Now I can't find them on there for the life of me - nor can I find anything similar anywhere online. I know I didn't halucinate them!

The basic premise was that a detective from the 30s and one from the present day had been somehow switched in time. The present-day guy refused to leave the 30s, so the 30s detective was stuck in what was for him something of a dystopian future. The books are the latter's story.

I know just the person to ask. It's an interesting premise, for sure. Ed McBain would be proud. I'll get back to you on that!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Edward said:

You're not hallucinating. I'm pretty sure I read about them too. Unfortunately I can't remember the name. :eusa_doh:

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I thought it sounded kinda of like the thread I posted about the guy who acts like a 30's PI. He wasn't transported anywhere in time. It almost sounds like a sci-fi novel rather than an mystery series. Curious to see what the deal is.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
After reading the thread on Ellis' books, I ordered them. I got the second book first, and the first one arrived today. Now I can start reading them. :eusa_clap

The switch in time plot sounds a lot like "Umney's Last Case", a Stephen King short in his 2006 TNT series, Nightmares and Dreamscapes (named for King's book of the same title), wherein William H. Macy stars as modern day mystery writer, Samuel Landry, who yearns to go back to Los Angeles in 1938 - the place and time of his main character, P.I. Clyde Umney. He writes himself into the novel he's writing, and Umney into the present. (Watch for the beautiful red Packard coupe in his neighbor's driveway.) The street scenes are amazing!

That's obviously not the series of books you're looking for, but I like it. William H. macy does a fantastic job playing both roles.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy