Please help Mr Vim pick out a bar for his home.

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by Mr Vim, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

Well, the title says it all, or most of it anyway.

I would love to have an authentic midcentury modern bar for my living room and stock it with respectable liquids but unfortunately I live in Juneau, Alaska, one of the most inaccessible areas of these United States. Either most people will not ship their vintage bars to me, or they want more than what I would pay for the bar for shipping.

So I am looking at new bars, as the shipping is cheaper, but most are not what I am looking for. I hope there are some connoisseurs here that maybe have had similar issues as I and can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Vim.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Sorry, I will not be party to such decadence.

:p

3. Burton

Burton One of the Regulars

Had a similar situation on a remote island that was rectified by having some very talented crafts people design and build one that caught the flavor of the place. We did end up ordering the bar top but could have used local materials. I'm sure in Juneau you have many talented woodworking folks who could do such a thing. Good luck!

4. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Just remodel your basement like so....
    [​IMG]

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'd pass on Cheers... not a show I ever quite "got", but then I don't care for Friends either. Frasier, now that was vastly superior (at least until they jumped the shark by getting Niles and Daphne together). Anyhoo... I think If I was doing something like that, I'd be looking to Rick's Cafe American for inspiration. ;)

6. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

I love Cheers and Frasier, watch it daily. Never got into Friends though.

7. Bourne ID

Bourne ID One of the Regulars

Now you're talking!! One of the greatest movies of all time!! I'd agree with Burton on finding a local cabinetmaker to work with. As a cabinet maker myself I've built more home bars than I can recall, each one a reflection of the owners tastes and vision.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Also try checking Craigslist, restaurant supply houses and any antique/resale/second-hand/thrift/consignment shops in your area.

9. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

Thanks fellas, I'm still working on it, and will keep you all posted.

10. rkwilker

rkwilker One Too Many

11. HectorTorta

HectorTorta New in Town

Vim, I'm on the same hunt so let me know if you find something!

12. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

Hector, you're better off being in Seattle, did you try searching ebay under antiques? There are a lot of cool things and I think they were listed in Seattle.

13. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

Well folks, my place continues to surprise...

I was removing old paneling to put new in and discovered a built in bar cabinet in the kitchen island! I will not post pictures right now, as it needs some cleaning and paint, but when it is done, you'll be the first to see it! Then I just have to stock the thing.

14. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Now that is some kinda luck!