Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please share thoughts: button versus zipper jacket?

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Hey guys/gals.
Im lookinat a new jacket, specifically something like the Thedi Shawl collar. I’ve always had a zipper front jacket, but like the look of the button front and wonder pros/cons.
Can folks that have had both share their thoughts?
Thanks
Bryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys/gals.
Im lookinat a new jacket, specifically something like the Thedi Shawl collar. I’ve always had a zipper front jacket, but like the look of the button front and wonder pros/cons.
Can folks that have had both share their thoughts?
Thanks
Bryan

This isn't that hard of a question, really.

Both methods are prone to issues, especially with heavy, stiff leather.

Buttons are slower than zippers, generally. And are less strong. They are prone to breaking, coming loose, and popping off. The stitching on a button hole can also fray.

Zippers are prone to various failures, especially at the bottom of the tape, where they are subjected to the most stress.

A heavy enough zipper for the leather can help avoid problems. A reinforcing snap at the top, bottom, or along the storm flap, if available, also helps.

They both look good when done well.

Update: since you are looking at the Thedi shawl collar specifically, I can tell you that I'm completely satisfied with mine, delivered a few weeks ago. It has buttons, and I think it looks more "correct" that way. The leather is a bit stiff out of the box, but midweight, and breaks in quickly. Be careful initially until the button holes decide to break in, and you should be fine.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Zippers will more reliably keep you warm and dry. If they're broken, and that happens more often than you'd think, it is quite expensive to replace them. Leather tailors will usually charge you $100+ for that.

The front of all my buttoned jackets broke in much faster than on my zipped jackets, because the leather can move more freely in the front, where as it is restricted by the zipper on zipped jackets. For the same reason buttoned jackets drape nicer in the front. Easy and cheap to replace if they come off. My single button front Teamster never was as warm as a zipped or double button front jacket, air gets in and out between buttons, so for a winter coat I'd go for zips or double button front (my Barnstormer is same lining as Teamster and much warmer).

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion it depends on the look of the jacket/coat in question. An Aero teamster does not work for me with a zipper though a Highwayman could with some alterations to the frontal design, work with buttons. Coat designs tend to look better with buttons to me, especially the older designs such as said Teamster and barnstormer styles. The A1 works with buttons, but with a zip?
Personally I would go long jacket, buttons, short style, zip. Though that is only my personal preference.

holdencain

One of the Regulars
These are the 2 variations I am considering:

3e79d370e21755633cca94fdc32c63d6.jpg

b9e301b4dd493bc4b5ae1e9d53136c0d.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I agree with that. The buttons make that jacket complete.

My girlfriend likes everything about my A-1 other than "it not having a front zip". Go figure.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Buttons on this style, if you ask me. If you go with football buttons, you should be minimise the risk of them snapping, though it'll take a bit of work to get them to slide in easily.

I have the pictured dark brown one...go buttons! The jacket isn't stiff, so there are no issues getting the buttons to close.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Don't now yet. But I sure like the look of buttons. i especially think the Thedi shawl collar is very nice. I am thinking of having him do one in goat skin. I have a Thedi zipper coming in the mail. I think I might have to balance my collection out with a Thedi button too. Better check my credit card balance first. :)
I like buttons.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I concur that the shawl collar Thedi looks best with buttons.
The only button front leather jacket I own is my FQHH Teamster and it was a real workout getting the buttons done and then undone for the first week or so. Now the jacket is broken in and it's a piece of cake.
One nice thing about a button front jacket is thst you can undo the bottom button when you sit down and the jacket won't ride up the way a zipper front jacket tends to.

BobJ

Practically Family
I was going to say that this jacket wouldn't look right without buttons... but then I stared at the zippered one for a while, and it started growing on me!

Zippers are more convenient, but I, too, like being able unbutton the bottom one when sitting down. Could get a double zip, but I kinda hate those most of the time... until it comes in handy.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like the shawl jacket without buttons to be honest. One of the visual issues with this design for me is that if you use buttons there are so many of them - 11 - and I think it looks a little busy. Just my take on it.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with BobJ. Before I saw the pics, I didn't think the zipper would work with this style. Then I saw the photos of the zippered jacket. It looks fine, although I think the buttons look a little better. They are just so fussy, though.

All I know is that the two heavyweight jackets that I have with buttons are a real hassle to button or unbutton. So much that I often give up. I honestly couldn't unbutton the cuffs on my Aero Half Belt. It was a new jacket so I suppose it would've gotten better after a while but I'd wager a bet if I messed with it every day, the button would pop right off long before the jacket got there. . .

Dav

One Too Many
I've got a couple with buttons, more with zips. Hardly ever wear the buttoned these days, not because of any issues, I just seem to always reach for a zippered, that said, if I was going anywhere that required a smarter appearance I'd choose buttoned.

Edward

Bartender
I genuinely like both. I think the zipper would work better with a black hide; buttons with the brown. Even CXL FQHH will be fine with buttnos if you have a little patience while it breaks in, but goat will be grand from the get-go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner