Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleats Down on a Cummerbund?

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Just found out that the part of military, "mess dress" includes a cummerbund, even women wear one as part of the uniform, but that they wear the pleats facing downwards. Please don't ask me to quote the Army/Navy/USMC/Coastguard/AirForce manual or anything, but I heard it, and verified it with an army Lt. buddy, he did not even know, he asked his NCO and the NCO said that yes, pleats face down. Smart Lt. BTW, when in doubt ask the E-8.

We civies wear them up. Does anyone know how it got started and written in stone that Civilians wear them up and the military wears them down? When did this stylistic rift occur? Anybody know or have an hypothesis?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
As I recall (keep in mind I've been out of the service for a very long time), they are worn facing down. Doesn't that keep the bread crumbs out of your cummerbund?

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Perchance

If they are issued to GI's (officers must buy them) and to be turned back in would wearing them face down keep them cleaner longer?

melankomas

One of the Regulars
the US Army men and women wear pleats facing down per AR 670-1. however, the US Air Force must wear pleats up, per AFI 36-2903. i can't, at present, recall when this came about.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Army Air Corps

When did the USAF separate from the Army? Maybe they followed the civilian pattern as that was changing too at the same time in American culture?

griffer

Practically Family
but its to CATCH THE CRUMBS.... oh the madness....

And ties evolved from bibs to protect shirts, and i have ties more expensive than my shirts. and they are notorious stain magnets. and the are uncleanable*.

*trust me, it's a word. i swear.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
griffer said:
but it's to CATCH THE CRUMBS.... oh the madness....

And ties evolved from bibs to protect shirts, and I have ties more expensive than my shirts. And they are notorious stain magnets. And they are uncleanable*.

*trust me, it's a word. i swear.

EXACTLY...pleats up TO catch crumbs. That's where the idea for them came from.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Mr. Sable said:
One could also argue that to avoid getting crumbs in one's cummerbund, one should be a more careful and deliberate eater.

one could also argue that the eating habits learned in basic training, where one must eat what one can in a period of approximately three minutes, are difficult to break. though, in rebuttal of myself, i expect one to be fairly far from basic by the time one is able to sit and eat in mess dress. near to basic, one might stand and serve, but isn't likely to sit and eat.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/images/PlateV.jpg

PlateV.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot