Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Watch + Chain + Lapel Buttonhole + Pocket

AntonAAK

Practically Family
AntonAAK I don't see one listed on Chris' site, did you 'phone him and ask or did I just miss it?

MP

Because the site uses frames I can't link directly to the page but if you follow the Watch Straps link the item you are looking for is 'Brown Leather Military Style Pocket Watch 'Albert' Straps'.

He just emailed me to say that he is out of stock of the brown ones but is expecting some more in a couple of weeks.

Anton

MikePotts

Practically Family
The 2 brown Albert's arrived last week:

I touched them lightly with some Neatsfoot just to soften them a bit,

P1000877.jpg

P1000878.jpg

I think that, due to the nickel finish, in this case the bar should be behind the lapel on a brown jacket. If it were brass or gold I may think differently

P1000879.jpg

I also got a 16mm grey NATO strap for my aged Swiss Peerex, I think it looks pretty cool;)

P1000880.jpg

MP

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In my experience, the most difficult type of vintage "chain" to find is this buckled version:

1930sEsquire062.jpg

They were originally made in brown leather (with brass or sterling buckles) for British officers in World War I. In the 1930s, more colorful examples were marketed to Americans.

Earlier in this thread, we saw Fred Astaire wearing one:

TheGayDivorcee.jpg

We also saw the fellow below:

AuctionphotosApil027.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In my experience, the most difficult type of vintage "chain" to find is this buckled version:
I came across one with a sterling buckle and findings at an auction a few years ago. Unfortunately it was attached to a watch that was of no interest to me, as well as being in a lot with a dozen other less than interesting trinkets. I hate it when that happens.:mad:

MikePotts

Practically Family
"In my experience, the most difficult type of vintage "chain" to find is this buckled version:" - Marc Chevalier

Oh great, thanks......... another Quest, :mad: :p

MP

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I know a personal example of this. An old photograph of my great grandfather, Maurizio, has what appears to be him wearing a pocket watch with a chain through the lapel buttonhole. Here is the photograph, although I have no idea what decade it was taken.

Screenshot2011-07-27at23456AM.png

He was born 1906, so this might have been during the 1930s or 1940s. I have never met him, but he was a good man.

SteveFiddle

New in Town
Thanks for the info in this discussion! I've been wearing pocket watches for about 30 years now, and have often worn them in the breast pocket of my jacket with the chain linked through the lapel button hole (chain forward). Since reading these postings, I've now made a leather watch guard using a vintage watch strap buckle and some vegetable tanned goat hide. It looks much better on my favourite tweed jacket than the fine gold chain, and I dyed the watch guard black to match the leather patches I had to put on the elbows...

Great site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy