Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Watch + Chain + Lapel Buttonhole + Pocket

SLOshank

New in Town
Does anyone here have a photo of how to properly wear a pocket watch with a suit coat?

I believe I saw it on the West Wing where the character "Bernard Thatch" had a watch chain "buttoned" through his lapel buttonhole. It I recall correctly the chain was buttoned from behind the lapel into the buttonhole so the chain was routed behind his lapel before briefly appearing and then disappearing into his front pocket.

It looked classic, not affected. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
This looks wrong to me. Surely a pocket watch is designed to go in a waist coat?

240946_007charliewt09wp.jpg

SLOshank

New in Town
That looks wrong; So does this (the only photo I could find on-line):
watchcoat.jpg

Hence my question. I would never wear a pocket watch as I described if I was also wearing a suit with a vest. Sans vest however it is very appropriate -- if I could just remember how "Bernard" pulled it off...

Jayhawker

New in Town
Fdr

It took me a little while to find this again, but here is a link to another picture of FDR apparently wearing a pocket watch in exactly the manner being discussed. http://www.apimages.com/OneUp.aspx?...575460486b6af74&page=1&xslt=1&mediatype=Photo

I've definitely worn my pocket watch in exactly this way (inspired by pictures of FDR). Is that a Phi Beta Kappa key on his lapel in your post Tomasso? If so, I've channeled my inner FDR more than I had originally thought.

K

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That looks wrong; So does this (the only photo I could find on-line):
watchcoat.jpg

Hence my question. I would never wear a pocket watch as I described if I was also wearing a suit with a vest. Sans vest however it is very appropriate -- if I could just remember how "Bernard" pulled it off...

Well sorry if my photo offends you, Sloshank. I posted it as an example of alternative ways to wear a pocketwatch if you didn't have a waistcoat at your disposal. I haven't worn a pocketwatch like *that* in ages. Always with a waistcoat with me (or in my trousers watchpocket if I'm not wearing a waistcoat).

If it pleases you, here's me done up in a more acceptable manner...

brownblue.jpg

Perhaps, but I do not know exactly if it look better when the chain is buttoned from the front or from the back with this attachment bar showing.

Best regards, Dr

It's a habit of mine never to expose the T-bar of my watch-chain. It's unsightly and it just isn't done.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I think it's preferable (but not necessary) to use a leather strap specifically designed to be worn through the lapel if you want to wear your pocket watch this way. That solves the visible T-bar problem.

SLOshank

New in Town
Thanks for the two FDR photos. They say a lot. First, FDR pretty much had to have at least acceptable style as a top politico. Second the bar does indeed enter the lapel buttonhole from the back. Third it's obviously no problem if the bar is visible. The PBC key would be ludicrous in that application -- except for someone like FDR. Thanks again.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
There is no 'correct' way to wear a watch chain. Looking at old and antique photos, you will see them worn in every possible configuration. There isn't even a 'correct' way to wear the toggle on a single albert with a waistcoat, usually it's on the inside and sometimes on the outside. I like to wear my double albert in the upper pockets of my waistcoat when I'm wearing tweeds.

As for the lapel, a watch strap for the purpose is often called a 'watch guard', and can be leather or metal. I wear the toggle on the inside if the distance to the pocket is very short, and on the outside if it's long, but that's just me. Some leather ones looped through the buttonhole and buckled. Of course, single albert chains work as well, and I've even seen double alberts used.

SLOshank

New in Town
There is no 'correct' way to wear a watch chain. Looking at old and antique photos, you will see them worn in every possible configuration. There isn't even a 'correct' way to wear the toggle on a single albert with a waistcoat, usually it's on the inside and sometimes on the outside. I like to wear my double albert in the upper pockets of my waistcoat when I'm wearing tweeds.

As for the lapel, a watch strap for the purpose is often called a 'watch guard', and can be leather or metal. I wear the toggle on the inside if the distance to the pocket is very short, and on the outside if it's long, but that's just me. Some leather ones looped through the buttonhole and buckled. Of course, single albert chains work as well, and I've even seen double alberts used.
Sure there is. There may be no uniquely correct way to wear a watch chain but there are correct ways and incorrect ways. We have seen pictures of both on this thread. I know what a watch guard is but I thought they were typically used by working people when watches were kept in the front pockets of shirts. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm