Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Watch + Chain + Lapel Buttonhole + Pocket

Qirrel

Practically Family
Sure there is. There may be no uniquely correct way to wear a watch chain but there are correct ways and incorrect ways. We have seen pictures of both on this thread. I know what a watch guard is but I thought they were typically used by working people when watches were kept in the front pockets of shirts. Thanks for the tip.

The only rule you need to follow is: Does it look good or not? This plague of the iGentry, making up rules for how to dress, must be done away with. If you don't like the way someone else wears their watch chain, fine. That does not mean that your subjective opinion (or the opinion of the majority) is and must be the "correct" way of wearing a watch chain.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
If anything, set rules such as these only do good things in a way, encouraging (sometimes) subjectively acceptable levels of dandyism.

Vintage clothes are exactly that - clothes, and meant to be worn in whichever way seems comfortable and appropriate and that goes for the accessories too. Sure, there's dress codes and so-on, but it can be rather more fun to wear things in a suitable way that breaks the norm.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here's an interesting setup that would work especially well with a tweed jacket.

46592d1177387221-paul-vallette-lapel-watch-vallete1.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
There is no 'correct' way to wear a watch chain. Looking at old and antique photos, you will see them worn in every possible configuration. There isn't even a 'correct' way to wear the toggle on a single albert with a waistcoat, usually it's on the inside and sometimes on the outside.
Very, very true.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I'd say it was perfectly acceptable to wear a pocket watch in the top pocket of a country jacket with a slim leather strap attatched to the buttonhole.......and so, apparently does Jeeves:

lg-promo-jeeves-and-wooster-1.jpg

jeeveswooster1.jpg

so that seals it :)

MP

SLOshank

New in Town
The only rule you need to follow is: Does it look good or not? This plague of the iGentry, making up rules for how to dress, must be done away with. If you don't like the way someone else wears their watch chain, fine. That does not mean that your subjective opinion (or the opinion of the majority) is and must be the "correct" way of wearing a watch chain.
The problem with that belief is that it's purely subjective -- it depends on a person's taste. Spin it any way you like but there are correct ways and incorrect ways to wear a pocket watch sans vest. While some are immediately offensive at first glance (except to the wearer!) others are questionable. One way to help make a sound choice is to choose that which has stood the test of time (decades+) by people one respects.

SLOshank

New in Town
If anything, set rules such as these only do good things in a way, encouraging (sometimes) subjectively acceptable levels of dandyism.

Vintage clothes are exactly that - clothes, and meant to be worn in whichever way seems comfortable and appropriate and that goes for the accessories too. Sure, there's dress codes and so-on, but it can be rather more fun to wear things in a suitable way that breaks the norm.
I don't think there are any codified rules for wearing a pocket watch in this manner. Ultimately I know what I like and it's invariably old school -- something that has withstood the test of time. When I saw the character "Bernard Hatch" wearing the pocket watch as he did there was absolutely no question that it was in good taste -- it did not look affected. Sadly most instances of "fun" seem to equate to looking affected and that's just not my style.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bryant Gumbel needs some help with the look

Not bad.......but why the wristwatch!?

Gumbel_Bryant.jpg

Complete disaster

bryant.jpg

Qirrel

Practically Family
The problem with that belief is that it's purely subjective -- it depends on a person's taste. Spin it any way you like but there are correct ways and incorrect ways to wear a pocket watch sans vest. While some are immediately offensive at first glance (except to the wearer!) others are questionable. One way to help make a sound choice is to choose that which has stood the test of time (decades+) by people one respects.

My point is that people worry too much about correctness and these "rules". I will agree with you one your last point, as long as we can call it guidelines, not rules. I can only think of a few offensive ways of wearing a watch chain, like out of ones *** (my apologies); to leave the watch dangling from the cuff buttonhole would not, to me, not look good, but it would not offend me.
Alas, I realize that this world I describe is one where limitations would contradict the ideology and so not wearing any clothes at all in public would necessarily be allowed. That does, however, not mean that we should continue adhering to the notions of "correct" and "incorrect"; ultimately they discourage creativity in dressing.
Besides, isn't that a part of what this forum is about? Wearing what you think looks good and not what everyone else is wearing? I am absolutely sure that not all the tee-shirt and jeans-wearing people out there are passionate about how that particular combination looks.
The problem of looking good is that it is purely subjective.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
TheGayDivorcee.jpg

^ Ol' Fred Is using a Leather Strap but it works for the subject, also you should watch "Addams Family Values" in which Gomez (Raul Julia) wears a DB suit with a great example.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I still believe that some sort of pin through the button hole is preferable to the bar. What kind, I leave to the wearer but I certainly would go looking very hard for something suitable before I wore the bar hanging out in front. Having the chain hang on the outside would be better.

SLOshank

New in Town
I still believe that some sort of pin through the button hole is preferable to the bar. What kind, I leave to the wearer but I certainly would go looking very hard for something suitable before I wore the bar hanging out in front. Having the chain hang on the outside would be better.
At first thought it would seem like the t-bar should not be exposed. But these photos make me feel different. Not only do they identify the exposed metal as a functional watch and not simply an adornment, they have also been worn like that through history and there there are plenty of nice looking "finished" t-bars for sale if anyone is that self conscious. As far as routing the chain, I would always route it behind the lapel (far cleaner) and I would never include a fob -- unless I was someone like FDR or possibly Frasier Crane. I wonder what Mr. Gumbel's fob was in the photos? Was anyone able to identify it?

Feraud

Bartender
I cannot help looking at the following toggles and think these should be hidden inside a vest.
They are finished in a way that asks to be displayed.
fob4.jpg

fob3.jpg

fob2.jpg

fob1.jpg

Fob.jpg

Last edited:

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
After a few years of searching Ebay for a vintage, leather, breast pocket watch strap, I came across a guy in England that sells them new. I just got it the other day, and it is perfectly acceptable quality, etc. If anyone is interested here is the URL: cjbalm.com
As infrequently as they seemed to pop up for sale on line, when I was lucky enough to find one, it was usually beat up pretty badly.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
After a few years of searching Ebay for a vintage, leather, breast pocket watch strap, I came across a guy in England that sells them new. I just got it the other day, and it is perfectly acceptable quality, etc. If anyone is interested here is the URL: cjbalm.com
As infrequently as they seemed to pop up for sale on line, when I was lucky enough to find one, it was usually beat up pretty badly.

Thanks a lot, Hap! I've been looking for one of those for ages and have just made an order.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ