Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing horsehide leather jacket

Windward

Practically Family
Some of the horsehide jacket got a nice shine but loose it (in a nice way) after wearing - but want to give it back to one of them .... any idea to make a natural polish and very effectiv !?
Thanks

Edward

Bartender
I used shoe polish on an old biker jacket years ago - worked a treat. Wouldn't risk it on a pricey Aero, though! Aside from the like of Pecards (does it keep a shine?) I've seen good results on jackets with cream leather-polish in a tube which is sold for leather seats in vintage cars.

Windward

Practically Family
Used brown shoe polish (Kiwi wax) to fix some ugly scratches on my brown jacket . . . but the whole jacket :eeek: ...not brave enough.
I fear that the solvent - which is best for my Alden shell cordovan - might harm a chrome excel tanned FQ-Horsehide.
Will make a try with colorless leather cream...maybe.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 16736

Somebody recommended Blackrock Leather conditioner on another thread. It's widely used on saddles and tack.

John Lever

One Too Many
I use Kiwi natural shoe shine in a plastic bottle with a sponge applicator. It's clear and dries non sticky and is designed for leather. It cost me a couple of pounds from a shoe repair bar.
Try an area under the arm first as the surface of your leather may be porous.

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Joel...happy to try out new things.
Thanks John - its worth a try - only got kiwi natural wax - will apply a bit and after dried out try to polish the part...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass