Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Political Neckties of the Golden Era

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Some the hardest vintage ties to find are those dealing with national political issues. Below are several from the Golden Era. (They're not mine.)

From the 1932 (or 1936) U.S. presidential race: Franklin Roosevelt and his running mate, John Nance Garner.

5711A.jpg
5711B.jpg

And also from the 1936 presidential race: Republican candidate Alfred M. Landon.

0e_1.jpg

Finally, a tie from 1947, protesting the Taft-Hartley (or "Labor-Management Relations") Act, a U.S. federal law that restricts the activities and power of labor unions. President Harry S. Truman described the act as a "slave-labor bill" and vetoed it. The United States Senate followed the United States House of Representatives in overriding Truman's veto on June 23, 1947.

The back of the tie has a label that says "Union-Made".

0f_1_edited-1.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Those are fascinating. I knew something like that had to be out there.
Thanks! (again)

I have not seen any, but there have to be W.I.N. ties from the '70's, I like Ike ties, etc.

That Taft-Hartley tie has GOT to be extremely scarce.

pikkle69

New in Town
I do own the Taft Hartley tie, in very good condition and have a photo in a book of Walther P Reuther wearing same tie... always wondered what it was worth.!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I do own the Taft Hartley tie, in very good condition and have a photo in a book of Walther P Reuther wearing same tie... always wondered what it was worth.!

Hi Pikkle, if you ever consider selling that Taft-Hartley tie, please do let me know. I happen to be acquainted with the archival curator of a major U.S./Canadian trade union as well as a collector of labor union memorabilia who's collection one of the largest in private hands. I'm sure either one of them would be thrilled to own a Taft-Hartley tie.

pikkle69

New in Town
I would consider selling it actually as I've been out of the vintage clothing hobby for a while, just not sure what it's worth, can find nothing online as to the value. It's been stored in a cedar closet so I'm pretty sure that there is no moth damage. I will post photos or email them when I'm back in town.

pikkle69

New in Town
Hi Pikkle, if you ever consider selling that Taft-Hartley tie, please do let me know. I happen to be acquainted with the archival curator of a major U.S./Canadian trade union as well as a collector of labor union memorabilia who's collection one of the largest in private hands. I'm sure either one of them would be thrilled to own a Taft-Hartley tie.
Yes I would, not sure of fair market value though, it is in pretty good condition. Here's a link to a photo of Reuther wearing the same tie, pretty cool: https://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/8559

Contact me at Patrick.owen.j@gmail.com to discuss further

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner