Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - How old...?

Jessica

One of the Regulars
I live in St. Helena, CA. (The heart of the Napa Valley). You are right, price are insane. Such a shame, because I was born and raised here, and it's terrible that a gal can't afford to own a home in her home town.

JerseyJones

Vendor
Mine in NJ was built in 1902 and has the durability to prove it ( and yes the annoying problems of an old house with a HORRIBLE TINY kitchen)

Ken

Here are a few pictures of mine that I promised:

house.jpg

From the street.

garageandlaundryroom.jpg

Part of the backyard and the building that used to host a radio station back in the 20s and 30s. The antenna used to be where the clothes line is folded up. Man those weeds grow fast. :p

Regards to all,

J

hats4me said:
My house was built in 1931, not sure if it would be called a Craftsman or a Bungalow, it has been called both.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx6/budshome/SmithHouse

Looks great. Are the horses pictured on your property? That would be great but where I live I don't think people would appreciate me riding down the street on horseback. With that entrance way it sort of looks like a colonial to me. Kind of like this on a smaller scale:
style-georgian-170.jpg

I think they called those colonial revivals in the 30s.
It could also be called Cape Cod style but the porch makes it kind of iffy:
capecod-sears.gif
Nice house in either case.

Regards to all,

J

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Looks great. Are the horses pictured on your property? That would be great but where I live I don't think people would appreciate me riding down the street on horseback. With that entrance way it sort of looks like a colonial to me. Kind of like this on a smaller scale:
style-georgian-170.jpg

I think they called those colonial revivals in the 30s.
It could also be called Cape Cod style but the porch makes it kind of iffy:
capecod-sears.gif
Nice house in either case.

Regards to all,

J

Thank You, the horses stay out at the ranch, this is the in town house. The picture is deceiving, I have found only 1 other house like it. The front that you see is backed up by 2 other sections to form the house. There are numerous angles when looking down from above. The inside however is a racetrack layout. There is no main hallway, each room opens up to the one next to it. That coupled with every room having at least 4 windows allows for the air to flow freely and makes the home very comfortable during the milder months. It has been re-wired and central heat and air added a few years before we bought it. We added a screen poarch off the master 2 years ago as well as a BBQ and patio area. We have only been in it for 5 years, but it is one of my favorite houses that I have ever lived in.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Almost 100, built in 1919. We're in the process of starting some much needed remodeling and are trying to preserve the character of the place for the period when it was young, which basically would have been Prohibition Era. We're starting with the bathroom since that needs the most attention. I'm trying to find examples of vintage 20s-30s era bathrooms here, but can't seem to find much.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Mine was built in 1955.
Funny how the carport isn't wide enough for a Tahoe, but it was wide enough for a 55 Chevy? :eeek:
Because of this, I have a smaller car parked there.
The build quality is way better than many houses 10-15yrs old. Like that's a shock.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The big house was originally built as a Greek Revival in '52, and was subsequently doubled in size and remodeled in the "Tuscan Villa" style which was so popular during the Johnson administration.

The little house is a true Bungalow which went up in '12.

ortega76

Practically Family
1927. Great apartment building with plaster walls and 1930's tile in the bathroom. Hardwood floors too. They just do not build them like this anymore. I feel like this building could withstand a direct missile attack!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Our house was built in 1921 as part of the garden city movement, the estate we live on provided and indeed proovides housing for all stratas of society we have London plane trees aplenty and a wooded pond area too, I was told returning men from the great war made up most of the workforce.
We still have the original pitch pine doors and many of the original features though sadly the original wooden sash windows with leaded toplights were ripped out by the local council in the late 1960's as were the original Deco doors....criminals!

1873, according to the plaque on the first house on the small (6) row of cottages. We were built as speculative housing in the London rail building boom in the 1860s-80s, bringing the city to the countryside. It would have been a nice view back then. Now it's just rows and rows of uniform, unchanging, terraced housing all put up in the 1890s-1910s.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Late 19th Century semi, backing onto the edge of fields. Cosy until you get a North Easterly wind when you realise it's flat fields and marshes until you reach the North Sea...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy