Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - Powder Blue Leisure Suit

I think this suit:

• Stinks like onions

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Is a bit nutty but not offensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Has definite possibilities

• Has me completey rethinking the limitations of my wardrobe

• Total voters
Posted by ReePleat:
This style has a certain rugged masculinity.

You got me thinking about this today, ReetPleat. It actually might have the last hurrah for masculinity as men got a bit emasculated with the cultural changes of the 70s. (perhaps just a snip, but a snip nonetheless)

Well, as it turns out, I was driving the Pony around today and trying to picture the car with the suit (I admit to thinking about these things - Hey, I live in Cinerama) and I think they may clash. This suit seems to scream for an El Dorado with horns on the hood, doesn't it?

As for the trousers, I don't recall their having drastic flares - I think they were almost straight-leg.

Of course, a hat is right out with the suit, too. I couldn't even imagine a Tyrol going with it. But I've wondered about this before: did the death of the hat in the 60s open the door for designers, figuring they no longer had to keep the hat in mind when designing a suit, thus allowing them to go a bit wild? Interesting concept.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Posted by Dr.
Once you have reached 40 it is impossible to wear any post-Rudi Gernreich garment with dignity.

As I've written before - and it's what made me look at the 70s suits in a different way - I saw a guy in his late 40s/early 50s wearing a powder blue leisure suit last year. He had slicked back silver hair, rings on every finger, and was smoking a cigarello. I had to stop in my tracks because he just looked so damned stylish. Perhaps he just captured an era - I don't know - but there was something right about it. He was definitely in shape, reminding me of those shaving commercials with football players from the 70s, so perhaps that's what allowed him to get away with it. I have to say, he did look dignified - in fact, he looked like he'd own any room he walked into. In the end, maybe he was just one of those guys with 'It'.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think you own that suit, Jack. You are wearing it, not its wearing you. Thats a hard look to pull off. But for $180, it can stay on the rack! lol

LD

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
As I've written before - and it's what made me look at the 70s suits in a different way - I saw a guy in his late 40s/early 50s wearing a powder blue leisure suit last year. He had slicked back silver hair, rings on every finger, and was smoking a cigarello. I had to stop in my tracks because he just looked so damned stylish. Perhaps he just captured an era - I don't know - but there was something right about it. He was definitely in shape, reminding me of those shaving commercials with football players from the 70s, so perhaps that's what allowed him to get away with it. I have to say, he did look dignified - in fact, he looked like he'd own any room he walked into. In the end, maybe he was just one of those guys with 'It'.

A lot of older guys, especially if they are from a culture that was slower to change, will wear later stuff with a certain vintage air. Ever see those old guys who are still natty dressers in the thrift store. They have on seventies stuff, but still have a ton of style.

This guys makes me think of a traditional Cuban leasure look or something like that. I can dig it.

If you are ot coming to the style naturally, I generally caution one to not wear something seventies or eighties that will make them look like they never stopped. I breifly datd agirl who wore very trendy clothes including a denim jacket with bloused sleeves and a pinstripe. Very seventies. She was old enough to have worn it in the era and I just thought it did not work for her. Made her look like she was so behind the times. Now an eighteen year old, while I probably wouldn't care for the look, at least looks retro.

Posted by JamesPowers:
I am pretty sure you can guess how I voted.

I was considering the special option of: James, Vote 'No' Here. :D

Thanks, Lady Day. And yes, for that sort of jack, it can stay on the rack.

Also forgot to mention that I could picture HemJones making this work in khaki, and perhaps even make a hat work with it. I'll keep an eye our for ya, pal.;)

Regards,

Senator Jack

hargist

One of the Regulars
This is one of those suits where attitude is everything. Either you own the suit or the suit will own you. You can get away with it, Senator. I, however, would look rather silly.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I am pretty sure you can guess how I voted.
Leave the Cadillac alone. I drove the 75 Eldorado around yesterday sans horns wearing a silk hawaiian shirt, khakis, spectators and my Sport Aire.:D
The leisure suit does have kind of a "Yeah Baby" quality to it though.:p ;)

Regards,

J

Jack, this suit would go perfectly with Power's maroon '75 Eldorado with the white landau top. In fact it just screams Power's name. He should really get it for when he drives that car.

By the way, I had a similar suit back when I was 7 years old. Yeah, yeah, Dad and uncles get a leisure suit so Mom has to buy me one to match.:D

Lincsong said:
Jack, this suit would go perfectly with Power's maroon '75 Eldorado with the white landau top. In fact it just screams Power's name. He should really get it for when he drives that car.

By the way, I had a similar suit back when I was 7 years old. Yeah, yeah, Dad and uncles get a leisure suit so Mom has to buy me one to match.:D

Uh, no thanks. :eek:
That leisure suit you had was your signature look though. :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner