Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Jan

One of the Regulars
It's gonna be tough to find a light-medium weight pomade that has no sheen.

The lighter the pomade, the greasier the sheen. The heavier, the more matte/flat look.

Schmiere Hart and Knuppelhart both give a matte finish.

Or you can look into a wax or cream/paste/clay type hair product.

To really get the James Dean soft look, you can just use Layrite, let it settle, then comb it out. While it does have a dry finish as is, if you comb it after it dries, it gives it the natural, wispy look that James Dean had.

But if Layrite is too expensive to justify, get Grease Monkey by Monkey Brains. It's $4 a tub and works just as well.

ryanc

Familiar Face
hey hey, the problem with petroleum based pomades like murreys is that it is true its not good for your hair. well more the folicles it can clog it up and for most men, they dont need that cause of the threat of hair loss. so im a hairdresser that specializes in pre 60s cuts, and styling. the products i sell to my men are from hawlywoods barbershop in l.a. he makes to me the best water based pomade available its called layrite, i sell alot of it. it literally will let you do what ever you want. murreys is hard to learn how to use. layrite is easy. they make a regular hold and superhold. personally i think the superhold works best especially for side parts with a swoop or a wave in the front. it does take practice to even use the layrite. but its better and even washes out with just water. go on www.layrite.com and you will find it there

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to start off by saying im in NO WAY affiliated with Grant's. I just wanted to take a pictures of all my current pomades. There are water based and petroleum based pomades. As you can see in the pic, I have taken an extreme liking to the Grant's and bought about eight tins of the stuff. It is hard to describe, in that is very different from Layrite. I find Layrite to be a wonderful product, but once its in the hair, i find it a bit unruly. The Grants is almost waxlike in its setup for combing. it doesnt "wet" the hair or curl it, and actually sets up nicely. Unlike Layrite, I can recomb my hair at any time and have the product set it self up again. It leaves the hair looking wet/slick, but not as much as petroleum pomades. Now it does come in two varieties, putty and regular. The putty is a limited edition extra hold for the summer heat. I dont find it to be that binding, and actually have 6 tins of this compared to the two of the regular. Scent is a nice sweet almond.

Pomade.jpg

I just wanted to start off by saying im in NO WAY affiliated with Grant's. I just wanted to take a pictures of all my current pomades. There are water based and petroleum based pomades. As you can see in the pic, I have taken an extreme liking to the Grant's and bought about eight tins of the stuff. It is hard to describe, in that is very different from Layrite. I find Layrite to be a wonderful product, but once its in the hair, i find it a bit unruly. The Grants is almost waxlike in its setup for combing. it doesnt "wet" the hair or curl it, and actually sets up nicely. Unlike Layrite, I can recomb my hair at any time and have the product set it self up again. It leaves the hair looking wet/slick, but not as much as petroleum pomades. Now it does come in two varieties, putty and regular. The putty is a limited edition extra hold for the summer heat. I dont find it to be that binding, and actually have 6 tins of this compared to the two of the regular. Scent is a nice sweet almond.

Pomade.jpg

Is the Grant's water or petro based?

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Its water based. I forgot to mention that if you apply it to dry hair, it tends to give it a wet look. This can be fixed by combing or brushing it out once it has set up. This gives it a dry finish that still holds.

Jan

One of the Regulars
How'd you end up liking the Geo.F. Trumpers?

I like it for the demographic it's aimed towards, slick hairstyles with low/no profile height. A great gentleman's product, but completely different from anything else you have pictured.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I loved the scent. Its a light rose scent. it really doesnt have a great deal of hold at all. Its more of a wet look type of pomade. Its a nice pomade to add to something stiffer to get some shine.

ryanc

Familiar Face
ya ive heard about grants havnt used it yet though. its one of the only ones i havnt used. really in all reality. every diffrent brand of pomade works diffrent in everyones hair. even if they do have a light, medium, and heavy weight choices. and all about how much you use at a time. some people work better using a dime size at a time some people work better using alot at one time. theres a routine to it that each person has to figure out. i will deff have to get grants and try it out. but the superhold layrite has so far sold me. as far as universal for every hair type

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
ya ive heard about grants havnt used it yet though. its one of the only ones i havnt used. really in all reality. every diffrent brand of pomade works diffrent in everyones hair. even if they do have a light, medium, and heavy weight choices. and all about how much you use at a time. some people work better using a dime size at a time some people work better using alot at one time. theres a routine to it that each person has to figure out. i will deff have to get grants and try it out. but the superhold layrite has so far sold me. as far as universal for every hair type

I completely agree with that statement. Each person will act differently with different pomades. So many people can get such great height out of murrays. For whatever reason, mine always falls if I try for a pomp. I am currently sporting a 30's style part to the side and the Grant's is doing well for what I need.

ryanc

Familiar Face
yes what the last post said. i sell and use layrite on all my clients and still believe its the best universal pomade for every type of hair. as he said as it sets comb back throught it and it should get rid of it. and dont use so much the less you use the less stiff it will feel. only use a dime size really work it in your palms and inbetween your fingers, start on the sides and then do the top that way you will have the less amount on your hands when you get to the front and top. no breakouts should occur. and considering you need something cheap. if you only use that much it should last you awhile. so keep your pennies saved.

Twill

One of the Regulars
Malin + Goetz Pomade

Just wanted to pop in and tell y'all about this new pomade I tried for the first time today. I was looking for a natural pomade that would give a firm hold but with a matte finish. This definitely fits the bill. So all you fellas looking for that James Dean dry look, or for the clean cuts who don't want to look wet (like me), this is amazing. It was surprisingly a tad too dry-looking for me, so I was able to use a (very) little spray and not look too crusty or wet. However, be warned; compared to most of the pomades discussed here, this is very pricey. I was looking for a product that was very specific beyond it's performance (see small print below), so it might not be for everyone.

Here's the link: http://www.malinandgoetz.com/index....facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

Like I said, today is the first day for me to use it, so if anyone is interested I'll pop in in a few days or so to let you know about long term use. I'd like to see how long it holds, and if it will dry out my hair too much.

Also, for those of you who care about this kinda stuff, the company is pretty neat. They use locally-sourced, natural, non-irritating ingredients for people who have sensitive skin, so no pore-clogging to worry about. They also use recycled packaging, and is manufactured, packaged and sold in New York... I sound like an infomercial.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think that's more than I would be willing to pay, but it's not all that difficult for me to make use of Dax Wave and Groom to get that style anyway. Acne might be a problem for some however. With the recent summer heat and all though, has anybody been finding their hair drying up more quickly than usual? I used what I thought was a pretty generous amount of pomade and hair tonic in the morning, yet I later found myself sporting a melted down pompadour. It wasn't an awful look itself, kind of like a slick back, but I'm wondering if anybody else's hair melts that fast under the sun. Before I went to the party today, I ended up re-applying my stuff, a little bit for more hold and shine.

On another note, I think pomade attracts bees and maybe other insects...

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I've only noticed that even lighter pomades, such as the Schmiere "Weich" lost its shine pretty quickly (a couple of hours) now during the summer.
When I added some brylcreem as a top coat, the shine was still there the next day! So brylcreem has pretty much become my #1 choice regarding sheen. It's also pretty great when you want a little sheen, but still want your hair to "blow in the wind".

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I actually felt as though the heat and humidity kept the murray's in my hair soft. I could really notice it when I would jump in the work vehicle to go make a delivery and had to endure a few minutes of baking hot car interior - I could smell the pomade.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Hey Pomaders All,
sporting a '0' cut on the sides and a '1' modified flat top for more years than I care to mention, I've never had much use for pomade BUT I do use some sort of goop to make the flat top stand up on occasion.
My hair is now so white as to be almost transparent - is their a 'tinted' pomade out there to disguise my scalp somwhat?

MP

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
I have been using American Crew pomade here in Iraq. It is not difficult to wash out at the end of the day. It stays soft yet holds my hair even during the heat of the 120 plus days.

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
I used Dax for a while and it would dry my hair out. I use a water base pomade. I washes out easy. Layright works great I also used the new three flowers water base pomade and its stay shiney all day.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I used Dax for a while and it would dry my hair out. I use a water base pomade. I washes out easy. Layright works great I also used the new three flowers water base pomade and its stay shiney all day.

You're talking about Dax Wave & Groom, right? It does have a tendency to dry up in a matter of hours. In fact, with almost a year's experience using the product under my belt, I'm thinking that it's a decent product for achieving the James Dean look, although it isn't completely dry; there is still some shine in my hair even when I do find it dry looking, if that helps make a description. It's not like using hairspray where there's no shine at all, there'll be some. I find that using Dax Wave & Groom by itself also leaves my hair a lighter color than if I used Brylcreem or Royal Crown Pomade.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today, I ran out of the hair-product that I've been using for the past three months, some sort of gel-like gunk called, rather unimaginatively, "Hair Goop". It comes in this sickeningly bright green squeezy-tube and smells like cactuses. It holds my hair nicely and I liked it, but I wanted to try something different. So off to my local Hairhouse Warehouse to see what they had.

On being told that they had no gel ("not many companies make it anymore" was their explanation), I asked for something soft and pliable which I could work into my hair. The young guy who was helping me directed me towards a collection of waxes and muds and lord knows what else. Being young myself, I guess he thought I would want something similar to what he used. He said something about various products being good in that they didn't give your hair the 'wet' look.

Well I'd become pretty keen on the wet look in the past few years, so I told him I wasn't phased. So he kept on. Eventually he headed off and let me make my choice on his suggestions and summaries. Bored to death with the modern gunk and not wanting to go back to the fantastically racy and kinky and oh-so-naughy Filthy, Hard, Dirty Muk (yes, that's actually a brand, go look it up) that all guys my age are addicted to these days...My eyes suddenly fell upon a bright orange metal tin:

Murray%20light.jpg

Oooooooh!!

Never used pomade before, although I'd heard of it. I'd always wanted to try one of those oldschool hair-preps. Haven't been able to find Brilliantine and Brylcreem (which they were probably clueless about anyway) and certainly not wanting to try macassar-oil, I decided to give this 'pomade' stuff a crack.

I bought the tin, took it home and, following the old Brylcreem jingle, dabbled a bit onto my hands, rubbed it around firmly to soften it up (although to be fair, it was rather soft already) and then slooped it through the hair.

Nice and soft and supple and pliable. Smells nice. Nice glossy look to it. Doesn't hold my hair in place like gel does (a bit of a disappointment), but all in all, I think it's not bad. I may start using this stuff regularly.

I have read however, that it can be tricky to get out...hopefully not!!

Dan'l

Practically Family
I've been using Sweet Georgia Brown (Blue can) and Deluxe pomade for the past four or five months and like them both. I'm not wearing them both at once ;)

I have thick, coarse hair and the SGB does a great job of holding it in place (without fly aways) and it adds a great shine to my fading red hair.
The Deluxe, well just as the can says, "for the neat and tidy look."

Both have a pleasant smell but the Deluxe has a mild scent of mint which I really like.

I gave up using the modern crap a couple years ago.

I have used Murray's at different times over the past several years but it's hard to work with compared to other pomades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran