Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks all. Honestly, there are a number of hats that get repeated use and quite a few that are more collection than wearers. Some of the more delicate and ancient ones only come out for special occasions with good weather conditions. If they've survived this long I don't wantto be the one to destroy them.

Can we boil this down to make something of a pledge amongst all Loungers?

With my size being so rare in vintage, I've espoused and practiced this philosophy for many years, but also have felt that ALL vintage hats are golden, irreplacable links to the past. Who are we, but stewards of such treasures!

Thank you Robert, for your leadership on this issue.

Super low crowned, extremely stingy Stetson Sovereign 20 Mode Edge.
Brim = 1 3/4"
Crown (when popped open) measures ~5" in height.
Very comfortable due to being a generous 7 5/8 LO.
IMG_5270.JPG

Looks like it is too small to fit down on your head properly to me Sam.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It actually fits fine as far as the opening goes. I just popped it on when taking the photo and didn't push it down on to my head so it's sort of floating on top of my hair. It was a hot day and I didn't want to sweat up the hat. As it's a 7 5/8 LO it stays put even when left floating like that. A round oval would be unstable unless pushed down tight.

Stetson Clear Nutria blonde

This one benefited from removal of felt strips behind the sweatband and will benefit more by a steam and clean. More photos after.

nutriablonde1.jpg

nutriablonde2.jpg

It actually fits fine as far as the opening goes. I just popped it on when taking the photo and didn't push it down on to my head so it's sort of floating on top of my hair. It was a hot day and I didn't want to sweat up the hat. As it's a 7 5/8 LO it stays put even when left floating like that. A round oval would be unstable unless pushed down tight.

Gotcha. You look better with more crown & brim tho...JMHO

jbucklin

Practically Family
Vacationing in Laguna Beach and found one hat shop. The only hat that looked good on me was the Biltmore Casablanca panama. So I bought it. :)
Image1_zps5d3ed75f.jpg

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
So what does the experts think of my new hat? I had been looking for this exact hat for a while and found it at a store in Vienna.
Any opinions about the model?
Does anyone know about the manufacturer?

LzyJPUU.jpg

uYKAKDd.jpg

bx45Z1g.jpg

Naaffxb.jpg

That's a beauty, Broccoli!

Here is the well-travelled MacLachlan, cleaned, re-blocked, upsized, and re-ribboned in a more respectable (IMO) way. Last photo shows best color rendition, compared against a Granite (left) and Oxblood (on the right). The original sizing was on the scant side of 7-5/8. The stretch necessitated a new sweat and ultimately loosing the hallmark "vent" crimps in the front of the felt. I didn't expect to need to go to this extreme on the stretch. I have mixed feelings about it. One thing is for certain... THIS hat will hold a special place on the display/rotation line-up for me!

IMG_2401.jpg IMG_2399.jpg IMG_2403.jpg IMG_2404.jpg IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2407.jpg IMG_2410.jpg IMG_2412.jpg IMG_2398.jpg IMG_2388.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
jbucklin, the Biltmore does look good. I'll second the question: What was the name of the hat shop? My brother lives very near there and maybe this will help introduce him to the world of fine headgear!

Wow-- missed your post while typing, hatsrme. That is a beauty!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy