Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking Fed IV, Richard.

Just arrived for me and still wet from a trip to the shower and a rolling pin crease job - Stetson Bantam.

smugshot_7808747-L.jpg

A lotta lovely lids, lads!
A not-even-out-of-the-house-yet VS classic whippet in whiskey. Be still my heart!
IMG_4198.jpg IMG_4191.JPG IMG_4199.JPG

Although the color is way off in the last photo, I wanted the profile shot. Thanks, Art!

g.durand

One Too Many
Richard--nice work on the crease.

Garrett--that is a stunner.

David--ahh, the rolling pin crease job. I usually start with a karate chop, but then mine morph into diamonds or tear-drops. Looks great.

hats--awesome! Dimensions? Very much like my first VS in color and style, so I'm curious.

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
New hat band, new hat.

Hi Guys,

Not really a new hat but I have replaced the supplied puggaree with a band and ribbon. Since the grosgrain wouldn't curve I put a folded pleat on both sides to correct for this and covered the left hand side with a ribbon. It's the first bit of sewing I've ever done (ever!).

Bad sewing aside, what are the thoughts on the pleat?

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 123

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David--ahh, the rolling pin crease job. I usually start with a karate chop, but then mine morph into diamonds or tear-drops. Looks great.

Yep, I find the rolling pin to be the perfect diameter for a nice centre crease.

DA, I like the idea of the pleat. I've seen custom hats posted here with a similar idea - I believe Mr. Fawcett has done some.

Purplesage

One Too Many
THe Scot by La Salle

This hat is called The Scott by La Salle, Philadelphia. The La Salle Hat Company of Sunbury, PA, was the Saleskys' company, started in 1911. The Salesky's were owners of Champ Brand name, as well as Barrister and others. I'm not sure about the age of this hat but I'm guessing the 20s. It is a size 7 3/8 and has has a 2" brim, 5 3/4" open crown and unreeded sweatband. The felt is a very soft long hair and is easily shapeable. The brim is soft and flexable not like typical Homburg style hats. The hat looks like it has hardly been worn.

photo-1712_zps59680592.jpg

photo-1713_zpsa5d20ad0.jpg

photo-1724_zps59ccfc94.jpg

photo-1743_zpsf6521425.jpg

photo-1744_zpsf381c19b.jpg

photo-1707_zps12412a84.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Josh, you nailed it right off the bat! 6" open with 2 1/4" triple stitch over welt brim.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Based on the un-reeded sweatband, stitched rear seam, and sweatband printing, I would say early 30's on that one. I had contemplated buying it for the longest time on ebay, but its way too big for me. Its pretty rare to see the "La Salle" name printed on their hats, so its most definitely early. I had a "The Champ" by La Salle Hat Company at one time. It was labeled "The Lightweight." Its the only one I have seen posted, but that's the hat that later became a Champ Featherweight.

Absolutely gorgeous hat! Is it a blue heather or black?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, you nailed it right off the bat! 6" open with 2 1/4" triple stitch over welt brim.

PERFECT proportions! That looks like an extremely straight crown profile as well. I have a block that is even straighter than a 52 and measures 6 inches open. The Penn-Craft looks like it was blocked with a similar block. Absolutely outstanding find, Garrett!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Straighter than the 52?! :eeek:

LOL....OH yes my friend. Its from the Lundstrom company. Check this out.........

Its the same block I used to block that Milan I rebuilt

The pictures make it seem like theres slight taper.....There is NO taper. Its literally a square with rounder corners. The top is flat and the sides are perfectly straight. I own 52's and they can't hold a candle to this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic