Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOuten2

Familiar Face
Here is the Stallion that I won in an auction. No identifiers other than the stamp in the sweat and the liner. Changed from a cattleman crease to a C crease. It's not bad for under $50.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

TOuten2 that is very interesting to me. I have a Stetson hat with that liner, only below the word "Stallion" in smaller letters it says "by Stetson". The sweat band is not marked Stallion anywhere, just regular Stetson branded, and it came in a regular Stetson box.
daby2yga.jpg

agyqytut.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. It's what I have to work with

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I expected to find the modern bar code sticker behind the sweat, but there was nothing there. The finish don't feel as soft as the Resistol, and the brim is very stff. It looks like a brand new hat. No stains inside or out. No sign of wear at all. I like it for what I've got invested.

Tim

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of two new arrivals today - Vanzina Homburg in lovely condition (black in case you're wondering!):

I'm guessing it's from when Borsalino owned the brand, but dating it is difficult! Any thoughts?

Cool find, Richard. The mark on the sweatband is the same as in my hat, though it is certainly of more recent manufacture. The registration of Vanzina trademark by Borsalino shows a first use in trade of 1972 but the purchase of the company took place earlier than this - perhaps during the 1940s under the leadership by Teresio Usuelli. There are some notes on the company that mentions the purchase of Vanzina here.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Modern Design By Manson

Never heard of this one before. Liner needs cleaned but is in otherwise nice condition. The unreeded sweatband is actually very soft and pliable or I wouldn't have folded it back. Can't figure why so many different numbers are stamped behind the sweatband! The hat has a 2 3/8" bound edge brim and a 5 5/8" open crown. I was thinking maybe early 40s! Maybe someone on the lounge has heard of this hat maker or brand.

photo1-430_zps692a88d6.jpg

photo2-395_zpsa9f3cdbd.jpg

photo5-340_zps17e8ad10.jpg

001363fc-41ed-4c64-b12f-a20bd505bc4e_zps5099ecd1.jpg

photo5-343_zps42ee00e2.jpg

photo1-477_zpsea6b0df4.jpg

photo5-317_zps42624f00.jpg

photo1-429_zps665d7594.jpg

Rogera

Sweet Hommie Richard, can't wait to see head shots!

Purplesage you have a seriously awesome hat collection!

ManofKent

Alan - thanks for the link. Mines probably late 70's early 80's from comparison with the Borsalino's I've got from that period, but it's a bit of a guess! I didn't exactly need another black Homburg, but couldn't resist as it was a very good price and in my size!

Thanks Roger.

Purplesage - nice find.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
One of two new arrivals today - Vanzina Homburg in lovely condition (black in case you're wondering!):

I'm guessing it's from when Borsalino owned the brand, but dating it is difficult! Any thoughts?

Cool find, Richard. The mark on the sweatband is the same as in my hat, though it is certainly of more recent manufacture. The registration of Vanzina trademark by Borsalino shows a first use in trade of 1972 but the purchase of the company took place earlier than this - perhaps during the 1940s under the leadership by Teresio Usuelli. There are some notes on the company that mentions the purchase of Vanzina here.

Alan and Richard, you're right! Borsalino is the Owner of Vanzina. Registration 1973. The pre owner was FABBRICA CAPPELLI DI FELTRO VANZINA, Società per Azioni, 11, via Regina Adelaide, PAVIA, IT.

Very nice Homburg Richard!

ManofKent

My first Whippet. A German Stetson (I now have an English Stetson and a German Stetson, but still don't have an American one... yet :) ). I'm sure it's been discussed before, but to save me searching any ideas who made them in Germany? I'm guessing late 50's early 60's but could be wrong:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
My first Whippet. A German Stetson (I now have an English Stetson and a German Stetson, but still don't have an American one... yet :) ). I'm sure it's been discussed before, but to save me searching any ideas who made them in Germany?

Richard, if memory serves, believe the answer is Mayser.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
My first Whippet. A German Stetson

Congratulations, Richard. That's really nice, and it has a rare color for a Whippet. Except for a handful of sizes, it would make a perfect pair with Manfred's black German Strat :)

I'm pretty sure, Mike is right about Mayser, but if our experts on Central European hats Manfred or Steve see this, we'll know for sure.

Edit: The latter has already been confirmed in this comment by Steve

Last edited:
Yes it was made by Mayser. They acquired the Stetson license in 1954. First Stetson - Mayser Whippet as far as I know. Manfred has a Stetson - Mayser Stratoliner from the same time period.

ManofKent

Thanks folks - it's a tad snug, and the size on the label missing so I'm not sure whether it's a small 60 or not, but a hat stretcher makes it wearable. I don't have any Maysers to compare it with, but it's a nicely made hat with very decent felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou