Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Selentino....

This came today. Can anybody shed a little light on this one for me? It's called a "Selentino". I don't know too much about it. It's age orgin, don't even know if it's Italian made or not. I can tell you that the felt is very stiff though, and the sweat is leather, but not very thick....but soft, not like a Borso when it comes to felt, that's for sure. It is a sharp, clean hat though.

This is how it came out of the box, with your average wide center crease & side dents. I wasn't too fond of it so I steamed & changed the bash as you'll notice in the before & after pics...

Selentino5.jpg
Selentino4.jpg

Selentino3.jpg
Selentino1.jpg
Selentino2.jpg

Selentino7.jpg

Selentino6.jpg

Specs:Crown is 5", Brim is 2 1/8" (very snappy), Grosgrain is 1 1/2" w/ a wind trolley, and the sweat is 1 3/4". Camel color. Any help is appreciated, thanks for looking.

Jfala

Familiar Face
New to Me

Here are a couple of "new to me" hats that I acquired from OFAS. The first is a vintage Stetson Royal Deluxe in gray with a silvery-gray grosgrain ribbon and wind-button. Not sure of the age, and maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks can help me out with that :) . When I received it there were two yellowish stains on the ribbon, but after a full cleaning and reblocking it is almost like new. Inside is stamped with the name of the store (Williams in Denver, CO). There is a tag inside the sweat with the lot number as well.

The second lid is a more current Stetson 4x OR (the tag in the sweat states 05/30/06 - which I assume is the manufacture date). Like many have stated about the modern ORs, it is soft and stiff. Has the classic cattleman's crease and I kind of dig it. Does this gain me entre into the OR Guild? :D

Thoughts?

- Jeff

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks JT and Bolthead.

Bolthead, I have a Selintino like yours' only in Black. I believe that I've read on here that they aremade by the Chec Company Tonak who also make many of the fur felts for BCF. Mine like yours is a little stiff, buit hopefully will break in with time.

Jimmy,

I'm working on another new hat as we speak. I'll post something on installing wind cords in the next few days. It's really pretty easy to do.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Bolthead, I suspect Stoney is on the mark about it being a Tonak. Today, I wore a HUCKEL (One of the Tonak brands), that looks like a sibling to your Selintino. About the only difference is my Huckel has no stiffener and no wind trolley. However, the sweatband is stamped "100 % FUR FELT". I believe my Tonaks, from Burlington Coat Factory, are the only hats in my collection which have that particular inscription. :)

GWD

One Too Many
New Mallory Premier Quality

Alright guys, I shaved the goatee donned my suit and took this picture of myself with my first real fedora. I have to admit, it's not easy to take a picture of ones self. Whadayathink?

web.jpg

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Plaudits and commiserations

I'm sympathetic on the plight of photographing oneself. All of the pictures of me wearing my hat were taken using the timer on my digital camera, which was setting upon a perilous tower consisting of my computer table, The Complete Sherlock Holmes, volume I, the hat box, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient Languages, and The World's Writing Systems. Even with all of that, I still had to hunch over in order to be in the frame.

The hat is a fine one and cuts an interesting forward profile. I quite admire its wide ribbon. I think, if I might dare to say, that a wider-brimmed hat would better suit you.

GWD

One Too Many
Delthayre said:
I'm sympathetic on the plight of photographing oneself. All of the pictures of me wearing my hat were taken using the timer on my digital camera, which was setting upon a perilous tower consisting of my computer table, The Complete Sherlock Holmes, volume I, the hat box, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient Languages, and The World's Writing Systems. Even with all of that, I still had to hunch over in order to be in the frame.

The hat is a fine one and cuts an interesting forward profile. I quite admire its wide ribbon. I think, if I might dare to say, that a wider-brimmed hat would better suit you.

I thank you for your input, I have just purchased a Whippet, I'm anxious to see how it looks.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
GWD, Don't throw your first real Fedora away. If you can find a pair of wrap-around sunglasses, you've got a classic look going, there! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You will probably end up liking your Whippet more, but collecting is about variety. :)

Stoney

Practically Family
GWD

Make sure you hang onto that stingy brim. J.T. is correct, as usual.
It looks great on you and you should be quite proud to wear it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have a wide variety of hats, but I still love those stingy brims the best.

BTW You do need a pair of Wayfarers to go with that hat.

"Police..? No Mam, We're musicians.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Stoney said:
GWD

It looks great on you and you should be quite proud to wear it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I agree, I don't usually like stingy brims, but I think this hat works for you.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stoney said:
GWD

I couldn't agree more, and they look great on ya buddy (GWD).....you too Stoney.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
Alright guys, I shaved the goatee donned my suit and took this picture of myself with my first real fedora. I have to admit, it's not easy to take a picture of ones self. Whadayathink?

web.jpg

Kind of an Aldo Ray vibe and the stingy brim suits it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:

I think you look great, GWD! With that expression you look like you should be standing next to Sgt Joe Friday while he's getting "just the facts, ma'am." :eusa_clap

Like what I can see of the tie, too!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner