Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is my first deal with Mike at NorthWest Hats. Sun Body are simple straw hat and I asked the hatter to have very defined shape.
They arrived yesterday without any Customs troubles and today they are ready to make their services in the Italian summer.
I like them for their not so common shape here.
2sbveap.jpg
dm9m5u.jpg
In Italy straw means: farmers hats made with wheat straw or Panama, very well made by the most famous Italians hatters. The first are now really hard to find, the second are too inflation and the tourists improve the peak of white hats with black band :cool:
I'm very satisfied with the Mike creations. The details are perfect and really well made.
2iha0at.jpg
fx43ds.jpg
I'm going to prepare a load of old hats to send near the Pacific Ocean to put them in order :)

Landman

One Too Many
Sunbody hats are great. They are actually very easy to shape. I like to buy the open crown versions. Just dunk them in cold water, shape them the way you want and let them dry. If you can, let them dry on your head and they will conform perfectly to your head shape. You will want to buy one size larger than you normally wear because they will shrink after getting wet.

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks, everyone, for the comments on the Playboy and the Knox. They were picked up from Etsy sellers within two days of each other, they had not been listed for long, and they were bargains I couldn't ignore. I gave the Knox a camp fuel bath and it cleaned up nicely, but it's going to need some time in a box with newspaper and then a couple of weeks in the open air to get the mildew odor out of it.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Tonak "Alpha" Seal Velour Fedora

Just got this Tonak "Alpha" yesterday. It's sort of a rich Whiskey color with a cream or off-white ribbon with the bow in back. It's in great shape with the exception of the sweatband which is torn in a couple of places. The crown tip says it is made of Seal Velour so it is very soft and plush. I know that seal fur isn't as common as it once was since there are now international restrictions on hunting seal pups for the fur. Not sure of the age since this is the first Tomak I've owned but I'm guessing 40s or older. I'm sure there are some resident experts on the lounge who could give me an educated guess as the the age of the hat. 2 3/4" brim with raw edge and the open crown is approx 5 3/4 - 5 7/8. I think this is an unreeded leather sweatband although it almost appears to be reeded. There is a thin piece of cloth backing which runs around the circumference of the hat opening which the band is sewn to. The band has a taped back seam.

photo4-319_zpsfd1796e1.jpg

photo5-485_zps837346ac.jpg

photo2-347_zps215c909e.jpg

photo4-322_zps29ad3699.jpg

photo3-363_zps6d9973d3.jpg

photo1-480_zps0cfb41bd.jpg

photo5-491_zpse93bd689.jpg

photo5-493_zps2c2b152f.jpg

photo4-367_zps15630c8f.jpg

photo5-492_zpsc098514b.jpg

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
David, you'll want to post that on Steve's "German and Austrian Hutmachers" thread to get the skinny on it. Very nice! Those 2 holes below the sweatband bow is where the hat hanger cord used to be. I would also guess the ribbon was replaced somewhere down the line, the tack stitches don't look in place for a hat of that quality and age.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thanks Mike, I was looking for that thread. You could be right about the ribbon. Hat hanger cord! I haven't seen any vintage hats I recall with hat hanger cords but that sounds like a good idea. Not always easy to find a place to put your hat. I suppose there would be some indicators as to the age of the hat such as that it was a made at "Plant Huckel" on the sweatband and it's made of "Seal Velour" in addition to the holes where that hat hander cord use to be.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Royal Stetson Deluxe Flagship

This Flagship just arrived today. It's kind of a teal green. It has a 2 3/4" brim with an underwelt edge; 5" crown as show (approx. 5 1/2" open) with 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon and wind trolley.

photo5-505_zps2ef559c4.jpg

photo1-561_zps0d58d33a.jpg

photo3-453_zps54a1ff80.jpg

photo1-564_zps2593fd3a.jpg

photo1-565_zpsd1411ff3.jpg

photo5-503_zps64a69dd4.jpg

photo2-441_zps2b0a4ec8.jpg

photo1-567_zps4ec1a31e.jpg

photo4-445_zpsa2689539.jpg

photo3-456_zps5e13f987.jpg

Lorne

One of the Regulars
New Hat!

Hello folks!

I got this one off EBay. The seller had this as a "make offer", which I did.

The hat is fantastic! Its fur felt and as light and soft as my Adams. Its in wonderful condition, I'm completely jazzed (can you tell?).

TABLET2 - 20140612_195305.jpg

TABLET2 - 20140612_195354.jpg

TABLET2 - 20140612_195404.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR