Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Justin, Alan, I am simply floored. What noses you guys have!

Er... I hope that comment was received as intended-- you know, noses for sniffing out great lids!
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Justin, Alan, I am simply floored. What noses you guys have!

Er... I hope that comment was received as intended-- you know, noses for sniffing out great lids!
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I have often wondered as much as my Husband comments about some folks seem to have a "hat radar" to find those gems. You can just tell how special yet different both the hats are, Alan's hat...that felt seems as smooth as a newborn baby's rear end...smooooth. I myself am still learning about textures of felts, and even though my personal hats (all 3 of them) are vintage and nice as one would say, "hand" they just do not compare with the upper end vintage. There is much to be said about a Stetson 100 or hats that are up past a 20X, seems that after you are spoiled by those, picking up a normal three X hat just makes a person want to cry! A close look at the picture of Alan's hat, you can about "feel" the smooth surface of it...cream.

Thanks very much for the comments. This hat was sniffed out by another very sharp nosed Lounger who shared the aroma with me. It is a high end beaver hat of delicious quality. More soon!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice, Alan. Was attracted to that hat when it was first listed but the price was less than delicious. Hope you talked him down a bit prior to pulling the trigger.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I will post more information and photos on this one a little later, but an interesting find from a short lived company with an interesting provenance. The felt body was likely made by Machlachlan. Many similarities in style and quality to the Knox 100 now owned by Lotsahats.

WOW! Now that is a vintage hat! The pics show some really special felt and work. The pic of the liner, leather band is interesting. The sticking and the felt marks are intriguing. I am curious to follow your future posts to get edified as to the features. It is an eye catching fedora. You may have to work up getting some custom duds to wear with a hat that special.:D

Alan congrats sir.

I have often wondered as much as my Husband comments about some folks seem to have a "hat radar" to find those gems. You can just tell how special yet different both the hats are, Alan's hat...that felt seems as smooth as a newborn baby's rear end...smooooth. I myself am still learning about textures of felts, and even though my personal hats (all 3 of them) are vintage and nice as one would say, "hand" they just do not compare with the upper end vintage. There is much to be said about a Stetson 100 or hats that are up past a 20X, seems that after you are spoiled by those, picking up a normal three X hat just makes a person want to cry! A close look at the picture of Alan's hat, you can about "feel" the smooth surface of it...cream.

Beaver fur has a high ability to felt (same with other water animals such as Nutria, Muskrat) but doesn't always produce the best results based on desired finish. For example specific Hare varieties (Saxon Hare, Russian Hare ) were used for the highest quality Velours that were usually at the highest price point. They also possessed exceptional softness / touch (not be confused with pliability / stiffness which can vary based on hat style). Hare doesn't felt well so the carroting / pickling processes (see the impact of the banning of mecuric nitrate, ect) along with fulling processes become much more important . Also small amounts of Beaver, Muskrat or Nutria fur can / could be added to improve felting.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/140-die-hutmacherkunst-ein-handbuch-fuer-den-klein-und-grossbetrieb-by-carl-bortfeldt-1902/#entry973

Last edited:
R.& M. Wegener, measures 58.5cm, crown 6 inches open, brim 2 1/2 inches, 1920s maybe older. This is the first pre WWII Wegener I have encountered, after looking for a long time, so a rare find. All the original parts are in place except for the sweatband ribbon, although the bow looks original. What is interesting is the crown tip patch is off center. This could be why the patched survived. There is a paper label behind the sweatband but I do not want to take a chance damaging the sweatband.

15156114570_3106e7ea6b_h.jpg

15343055585_5d3a9c157d_h.jpg

15156075019_b7c68a422d_h.jpg

15319833266_64ea9afb7e_h.jpg

15156304658_3f11aadc56_h.jpg

15342899735_c6c59a1d05_h.jpg

15342727515_2915705334_h.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
So, I bought this really neat straw hat. The seller thought it was from the 1920s, but I think it could even be from late in the 1800s. That is just a vague feeling of mine, though.

It really does have the look of a pre-fedora era hat, though, the sort you'd see men holding or wearing in old tin types.

The maker's label simply says "Best Make" and I don't know if that is the manufacturer name or just a quality designation.

I have not gotten the thing in the mail yet, so I don't yet know if there are any stickers behind the sweatband.

Unknown-Straw_01.jpg
Unknown-Straw_04.jpg
Unknown-Straw_05.jpg

Whatever the case, it is at least a 30s era hat, I'd feel. But still, I really want to believe it is older than the 30s. After all, the interesting shape and label style seems more antiquated than what we think of during the "fedora era" which I always consider the time from 1920 onward.

But, if any of you guys have some more concrete info than my admittedly vague feelings based on nothing but observations, I'd love to hear it.

Great find. It has a really fantastic look. I can't add any details. It might be worth searching through some old catalogs / ads. Looking forward to more details.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy