Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
C. G. Wilke "Platina"

A really fantastic tiny gem of a hat. The felt is the lightest and softest I have ever encountered. Probably the early 1930s maybe a bit earlier. I doubt it was worn much at all. More in the German - Austrian thread.

15973362486_6fb36796fc_b.jpg

15813147389_55ff839c74_b.jpg

15998480822_02521c5cab_b.jpg

15811912960_6a44fb4b59_c.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
C. G. Wilke "Platina"

A really fantastic tiny gem of a hat. The felt is the lightest and softest I have ever encountered. Probably the early 1930s maybe a bit earlier. I doubt it was worn much at all. More in the German - Austrian thread.

Steve, love that deep, clean black! It must be REALLY soft for you to make that comment!!

B

Bill, Yes the dye work is also fantastic. The photos don't do it justice. I wish I knew the felt content.

Harv, The brim is only 2 inches and the crown just over 5 inches. This hat is tiny with fantastic proportions / form.

I don't recall seeing a boater woven like that, Alan. Rather cool (in both senses).

I see the colonel has gotten himself banned again.

Hi David... it shares some characteristics with this earlier Royal Stetson boater, though the weave and feel are different. I think it is the variation in straw and weave that makes boaters so interesting to me. Despite my best intentions, I've wound up keeping a dozen or so and though the form is so structured, no two are alike. Perhaps it is the stiffening ingredient required for the style form that allows so much diversity in material and weave.

royalboatera.jpg

royalboater2.jpg

And on the colonel, yes... another life gone. Must still be four or five left.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Heaven help me - I've purchased another top hat. Crossing my fingers that this one will fit properly. I've contacted the seller and had her verify measurement around the sweat, which *should* fit me. If all else fails, I can always attempt to re-sell it. I'm planning to sell the smaller one when this one arrives.

Top Hat.jpg

HERE'S the listing. If nothing else, the hat was priced fairly low for the condition it's in.

Great find! It also has a mourning band.

Sorry I didn't notice the Etsy link. R. Hecht Theater Passage is the store that sold it. The box doesn't match the store. There might be a paper label behind the sweatband with more information.

Last edited:

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
It appears to be of German make. From the listing - "The hat is marked "R. Hecht Leipzig Theater-Passage Grimmaische Ste. 12" The box is marked Fabrik-Lager Feiner Seiden,-Filz-u. Modehüte." on the top and "Pelzwaren-, Hut- und Mützen-Lager Eduard Grunzel Annaberg Buchholzerstr. 15a"

I wasn't sure if what was shown was a mourning band or, per the listing, a covering to protect the hat. The listing indicates the hat is beaver, but to my inexperienced eye it looks more like silk plush.

tommyK

One Too Many
Heaven help me - I've purchased another top hat. Crossing my fingers that this one will fit properly. I've contacted the seller and had her verify measurement around the sweat, which *should* fit me. If all else fails, I can always attempt to re-sell it. I'm planning to sell the smaller one when this one arrives.

View attachment 21235

HERE'S the listing. If nothing else, the hat was priced fairly low for the condition it's in.

looks like you hit the lottery, Hope it fits!

It appears to be of German make. From the listing - "The hat is marked "R. Hecht Leipzig Theater-Passage Grimmaische Ste. 12" The box is marked Fabrik-Lager Feiner Seiden,-Filz-u. Modehüte." on the top and "Pelzwaren-, Hut- und Mützen-Lager Eduard Grunzel Annaberg Buchholzerstr. 15a"

I wasn't sure if what was shown was a mourning band or, per the listing, a covering to protect the hat. The listing indicates the hat is beaver, but to my inexperienced eye it looks more like silk plush.

I am fairly sure R. Hecht is a store. The Passage is across from the Leipzig Alte Rathaus. The box / case might be the maker but often the hat doesn't match up (although the location is close to Leipzig). It's made of Silk plush and it has a mourning band. When it arrives check for a paper label behind the sweatband. Also please post it in the German - Austrian thread.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Cervino

That is a new hat that arrived yesterday.
az5le.jpg
It is a stingy brim of the "first generation" produce by Cervino. Brand never meet in my life.
2rppa1y.jpg
It is a typical Alps hat with very curve crown and short brims.
vs2j9h.jpg
The felt is stiff but very pliable, made of a melange of fur felt and woll.
Dimension are: 12 cm. crown and 5 cm. brims.
o6mgs3.jpg
With a small puff of steam I give it this shape very common for the hunters in the past.
ff4sis.jpg
As you see it has the brims are not raw but finished with silk ribbon, the only concession to the elegance.
xcptnb.jpg
szju3n.jpg
So it is a city hat with an "Alpen form"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy