Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javadave61

Practically Family
Flea Market Finds

Since discovering the joy of hat hunting (thanks to all of you), I've been scouring the area for any hat suppliers. I found a "hat outlet" inside a huge local flea market. The owner says he gets hats "directly from the factories," and I'm assuming they are hats that are either seconds, or never shipped out, or got discontinued... or whatever. He sells them cheap, around $20. I picked up a Bailey fur felt hat the first time I was there, and there's a black permanent marker line right through the logo. The hole in the leather hatband made me wonder if that dumped as a 2nd. It appears to be a Bailey Madison, normally a pretty expensive hat.

I picked up these two today.

He advertised this as a Borsalino. But it has a Bailey pin. I inquired. He says "Borsalino made this for Bailey." I've read descriptions here of the Borsalino crushable hats, and the felt on this was as soft as I've ever felt. And very "floppy" like the Borsalinos described here. The brim is 2 1/2" with an elastic sweatband inside. I searched for Bailey fur felt crushable, and this is the closest hat I could find. Bailey Noble Fur Felt Hat but it's $350. Is it really possible to pick up a $350 hat for $35 (he wanted more for this one). Heck, if it's worth $50, I'm happy. It feels great on my head.

IMG_3733-2.jpg IMG_3738-2.jpg

The second is this interesting Bailey's fur felt hat with a pink liner and a funky label (marked through): Bailey 1/10 John Malkovich. After a quick google search, I could not find anything close to this specific hat, but I did see that Bailey of Hollywood once carried a line designed by John Malkovich (the actor). It's got a 2 1/4" brim and an elastic sweat band. It came with a silk paisley hat band that wasn't my style, so I put a traditional black one on it. Like the hat above, it feels as smooth as a baby's bottom (and I changed diapers on three kids! So I know!) Got this for $20. Happy camper.
IMG_3730-2.jpg IMG_3741-2.jpg

I'd love to hear the wisdom of the lounge on what I now possess. Thanks!

Justdog

Practically Family
Frame

Well the Biltmore I got from Joshua finally arrived.
A very different felt from all my other hats and nice how it can capture colors. I'm pleased but I have to do something to that up brim.
Even being marked as a 7 1/8, it fits perfectly!

Just mho
I think the way the brim is finished and frames your face is really a good look. It may be a bit different than what your used to but given just a bit of time you might get used to it. Nice to have a bit of a different block, quite classy.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The two blacks arrived early this morning and the grey is one of the sleeper in the cabinet from to much time not to see the light.
2q3bssk.jpg

They are homburgs in different EU intepretation:
10crfv7.jpg

Austrian Peschel
wujfbl.jpg

Italian Borsalino
24dneau.jpg

German Brabant

More to come in the Homburg Nation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members