Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Intrigued by this find today at an antique store. I paid $10 for this Dynafelt that seems to be mimicking an open road / stratoliner, minus the bound brim. I had no idea what "dynafelt" was and would never have guessed this was a wool blend (85/15) hat from first handling it. Except that it weighs twice what my Open Road weighs. I decided to get it as a beater, since I seem to be on pins and needles when I take out my OR. This gives me that open road feel on my head without a concern in the world if it gets beat up. The "leather" sweatband is a fatal flaw on this thing. It was so brittle that I cut most of it out and left just enough to hold it to my head. The felt on this thing is designed to far outlast its sweatband, unfortunately. In the end, I found a stylish beater that probably won't die even when I want it to.

View attachment 26466 View attachment 26467 View attachment 26468 View attachment 26469

Feh.

It's a good looking hat Javadave. I feel where you're coming from. I have a dynafelt hat I picked up cheap that I use when the weather is crappy or I'm doing something that might be detrimental to one of my better hats. I work for a living and have kids at home to feed, so am not in a position financially to easily replace one of my nicer hats if something were to happen to one.

javadave61

Practically Family
It's a good looking hat Javadave. I feel where you're coming from. I have a dynafelt hat I picked up cheap that I use when the weather is crappy or I'm doing something that might be detrimental to one of my better hats. I work for a living and have kids at home to feed, so am not in a position financially to easily replace one of my nicer hats if something were to happen to one.

Thanks dh66. I've been looking for a yard / cigar hat. This might do the trick. And I'll practice my hand at sewing in a new sweatband with this thing. Nothing to lose! And I'm telling ya, I know wool is the redheaded stepchild around here, and I sure love my fur/beaver felt hats, but this thing looks and feels nothing like the cheap wool hats I've seen and it surely will survive the coming apocalypse!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How would you compare the dynafelt to Akubra's Heritage line? For that matter, I was wondering how the new Stetson Excellent Strats would compare. My recently acquired CD seems like it could stand up to quite a bit, but I'm wondering if it'll see a whole lot of use in the warmer months.

javadave61

Practically Family
How would you compare the dynafelt to Akubra's Heritage line? For that matter, I was wondering how the new Stetson Excellent Strats would compare. My recently acquired CD seems like it could stand up to quite a bit, but I'm wondering if it'll see a whole lot of use in the warmer months.

My only Akubra is Imperial felt, so I've never handled the Heritage line. I'm sure as far as quality and durability goes, the Heritage beats Dynafelt hands down. But for $10 and the cost of a new sweatband, this thing will last far beyond its value. This particular durafelt is quite vintage in age, so I'm guessing that's why it feels hardy to me. It had quite a bit of wear and dirt when I bought it, so since I had nothing to lose, I soaked it, scrubbed it, pounded it, etc., and it came out looking brand new and shaped up decently with a little steam. One day, I'll own an Akubra from the heritage line. And even then, when it comes to dirty jobs, I'll still abuse the heck out of this one.

I work for a living and have kids at home to feed, so am not in a position financially to easily replace one of my nicer hats if something were to happen to one.

I hear you there. The commercial door industry pay scale does not allow me to wear some of my nicer hats out in bad conditions.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Beater Hats are good to have around for sure as I use a few under tough conditions.

Ok not a beater but a Black Sheep from Bob at BSHW
I had it a bit more than a month so sorta new
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34679%3Enu%3D37%3B9%3E3%3B4%3E%3B33%3E28%3A%3A3%3B4%3C2425%3Aot1lsi

che:cool:

Scott Gillin

New in Town
New member.New hat. First fedora. I'm sure I'll be getting more as I love this one. Akubra fed IV. I'm sure guys have seen a million of these.
IMAG1920_1_zpst9ycgp6e.jpg
IMAG1949_zpsfccvxb54.jpg
IMAG1928_1_zpscj2rln1l.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112