Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Cross-posting from the Caxton thread, hoping to get some more info on this brand.

I found a pair of Caxton Open Road clones in brown and grey yesterday in my size, and purchased the pair for about $64 shipped. I'm unfamiliar with the brand, but hoped for the best and placed the order.

View attachment 27964

View attachment 27965

View attachment 27966

View attachment 27967

There's very little on the Lounge about this maker that I can find, other than some WAR styles. Anyone have any information on these? They don't appear to be stamped or labeled as Ten or Twenty models so I'm not expecting felt similar to my older Stetsons, but does anyone have any experience with them who can give some input?

I'm debating having the thin ribbons replaced with wider ones, but will wait to see how they look in person and, more importantly, how they look on me.

Please do let that thin ribbon be as it is....if for any reason in the future you want to send that hat into orbit, let me know I may have some moolah to be the new owner (if it is a 7 1/2)....thanks kiddo!

tommyK

One Too Many
S4C, those Caxton's look pretty sweet and the price even sweeter! I'd live with the thin ribbons a while before changing. Thin ribbon Open Road/Stratoliner style hats are great for casual wear.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Got this black Tom Mix for less than $80 (+shipping)!
I believe it is newer than my other one since it have a complicated model name and a barcode.
It came with this (yuck) feather hatband that was removed after 1s of the first picture.
tmix01.jpg

tmix02.jpg

tmix03.jpg

The original ribbon and bow was kept in place so it just needed a good brushing
tmix04.jpg

tmix05.jpg

And a good sweeping on the sweatband to remove dirt from it.
tmix06.jpg

Better head pictures tomorrow. Maybe ;)
Since this one is more used, it might see more head time and more severe weather than the other one.
I think I'm gonna try to sell the feather hatband in Portugal...

Last edited:

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Please do let that thin ribbon be as it is....if for any reason in the future you want to send that hat into orbit, let me know I may have some moolah to be the new owner (if it is a 7 1/2)....thanks kiddo!

I'm afraid neither of these would fit Daniel since they're both size 7 1/8. However, I'm sure he'd look great wearing them if they were his size. I haven't seen a pic of him in which he isn't dressed sharp as a tack.

I'm planning to give the thin ribbons a chance before making any changes. Most of my collection falls in the WAR category, but I have a couple of Playboy clones which look OK on me, so the thin ribbons may be fine. Gives me the chance to play with various creases as well since I'm not quite sold on a cattleman crease yet.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Strapped - I've seen a bunch of Caxtons though I am unfamiliar with any of the history. The later ones - say pre-1957 to be utterly random - were really well made with some incredible felts. Into the 60s I think they became a bit cheesy, but that is only my opinion. I've a few of them now, though none has made it into my rotation, but only because I've sold the ones I really liked (except one I still have but is too small for me). What do you think of yours?

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Strapped - I've seen a bunch of Caxtons though I am unfamiliar with any of the history. The later ones - say pre-1957 to be utterly random - were really well made with some incredible felts. Into the 60s I think they became a bit cheesy, but that is only my opinion. I've a few of them now, though none has made it into my rotation, but only because I've sold the ones I really liked (except one I still have but is too small for me). What do you think of yours?

Still waiting for delivery. I hope to see them early next week.

NewJack

Practically Family
Okay. So. It has arrived...The 150th Anniversary's Stetson Stetsonian...

My brief opinion...

Whatta great lid!! Whatta lotta hat! My honest and neophite opinon... Tall crown (as most of you gents know), 2 5/8 brim, Caribou color, the fit is similar to a LO (which I do sport), the felt was easy to bash (as best as I know how! :D, the brim appears to be much softer than crown, the sweat is soft but firm enough to stay in place on my noggin, and did I mention it's a lotta hat? :). Final thoughts: I love the hat and happy I made the purchase and it was well worth the wait. For me, it's a lid that I could sport casually but I'd have to have the right casual rags to sport this baby! :eek: Mr. D was gracious enough to update my order to my original size and happy he did because a 7 5/8 would've simply been too large. It's one of the first hats 'store bought' hats I've ordered that fit and did not have to 'try-it-on' first!

tommyK

One Too Many
Looks fantastic, NewJack! Glad you were able to get the right size sorted out before it came. We really are the exact same size!

NewJack

Practically Family
Looks fantastic, NewJack! Glad you were able to get the right size sorted out before it came. We really are the exact same size!

Thanks tommyK! I thought about the sizing thing a day after ordering....He was gracious enough to mention that he'd ordered a few of our head sizes just in case.

NewJack

Practically Family
Thanx hatsRme! Wasn't really a lover of the color grey until I saw in this style. I think the style of hat makes a difference relative to color.

NewJack

Practically Family
javadave61: Thanx so much...Like you, I didn't have this color either but decided to purchase to just to 'see' and it turned out to be a winner! ;)

There's a reason that there were SO many neutral gray lids back when, and I 'm sure it's the versatility of the right gray, as every manufacturer claimed to produce.

Wear it in good health, Jack!!

NewJack

Practically Family
There's a reason that there were SO many neutral gray lids back when, and I 'm sure it's the versatility of the right gray, as every manufacturer claimed to produce.

Wear it in good health, Jack!!

Makes sense to me! For me, this appears to be the 'right' gray! Thanx!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR