Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Just got my brand new Coolabah !!! Cool name for a hat !! Just in time to wear it to see Jurasic World with my kids !!! Very happy !!

Came with a Cattleman in Sand and a Santone Snowy River, feels like Xmas !

6a9ecc42aefa5210e46e0cc879475361.jpg

56fdba294b23e01e1979186c8a3f24ad.jpg

34c029635ebead3d969d3318a052363c.jpg
c1c3d12dfbb9cbcad04eb684da520058.jpg

Will fit it with this badge

8b57739acdf101608ee54aa502106a3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Incredible band! Is it real croc? Looks it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
received my Akubra Federation Deluxe IV today from Hats Direct .. it came super fast ... like 5 days from Australia to NJ

I immediately knew I loved the hat when I saw the color in its open crown form when I opened the box

I steamed in a quick bash , shaped up the brim a tiny bit and I feel like it was made for me

absolutely loving it

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Great looking Fed, Moon. How does the Heritage compare to the Imperial? I've got 4 Akubra's but they're all the lower grade.

to my hand it feels a bit softer but very similar

my Bushman is pretty much unworn and doesn't feel as soft as the Fed
but my Camp Draft which has lots of wear and is softer from that wear feels a lot more like this Fed feels out of the box

to me the quality difference is more visual than to the touch ... the Fed felt looks more like vintage felt

I hope that rambling makes some sense to you

I wonder how diff that color is from the Imp grade "Tawny Fawn?" Any idea Moon?

to my eyes the Tawny is a touch more tan where this hat has more gray undertones

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ok. Thx. I have 2 Camp Drafts and they're both pretty stiff. My one Fed Deluxe as u said in reply to Tommy K is smoother. A little more tan is right in my wheelhouse. Thx.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

...to my eyes the Tawny is a touch more tan where this hat has more gray undertones
If the color in your photos is accurate, you're right about the Tawny Fawn being slightly more of a "warm" tan than the Heritage Fawn. Also, it seems the ribbon on the Heritage Fawn Fed IV has more of a reddish hue to it; the ribbon on the Tawny Fawn is more of a "chocolate" brown, like a Hershey bar.

Great hat, by the way!

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Received this Mallory Aristocrat level hat today. It appears to be never worn but does have some mothing issues. Got it cheap enough from ebay that its not worth shipping back. Plus I love the grey color with the teal not-so-thin ribbon.

Still the all caps MALLORY logo, paper size tag, and an $8.95 price tag behind sweat. I'm sure Lefty has the exact ad for this hat at that price....;)

Hope you can see the great ribbon color.

B

mallory_aristocrat_1.jpg

mallory_aristocrat_2.jpg

mallory_aristocrat_3.jpg

mallory_aristocrat_4.jpg

I have one Mallory charcoal blue that looks to be the same model, but it's more recent...

img-1.jpg

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Not new, but just modified! :D

I changed this Stetson Panama's thin black ribbon (I personally dislike thin ribbons) to a 3" wide "ribbon" (the new "ribbon" was originally a torn necktie!)
IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG
I also raised my Minnetonka hat's crown to 4", and stiffened the crown with hair gel this time. :D
IMG_0374.JPG

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
That's a nice idea of what to do with old ties with a hole in them, besides wear them as belts.
I'm so glad that I just thought of it.

Hair gel? I was under the impression that some corn starch dissolved in water were the secret ingredients of all of those expensive hat stiffeners that people buy.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
I believe Charlie Chaplin used sugar water to achieve the flat top pork pie he was famous for.

Chaplin was most known for the bowler that he wore as his "Little Tramp" character.
I suspect that you probably meant to refer to Buster Keaton, another famous screen comedian, who usually wore a very low-crowned flat-brimmed hat in his films.

Chaplin was most known for the bowler that he wore as his "Little Tramp" character.
I suspect that you probably meant to refer to Buster Keaton, another famous screen comedian, who usually wore a very low-crowned flat-brimmed hat in his films.

YES! Thank you JMatra!

Too much knowledge and way too many facts at this point of my life can cause silent film character confusion, and lots of other confusion. I think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24