Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Panama is one of the usual ones that arrive in Europe from South America
2nsqred.jpg

Finished with little care and not very well shaped was an ugly duckling and before becoming a fluffy straw hat I sent it for an aesthetic cure in Holland from Fleur - Penumbra Hat
110hkpu.jpg

The result is what you see: the hat has become more attractive and with a good personality considering that it is one of the minimum qualities for a straw hat
34yqvm0.jpg

A new pleated bronze-golden ribbon and a new shape give it more dignity
2e4ln2g.jpg

The proportions are those of a normal panama: 7 cm. brim, 9 cm. the crown and the ribbon is at 4 cm. No lining only the tip of the original manufacturer and a new sweat band
34tcspy.jpg

A new life for this hat called to the hot Italian summer work
Classic straw lines, love the color of that pug. Very nice, wearable hat Daniele.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Società Anonima Cappellificio Monzese, 58.5cm, Wool, possibly late 1950s. There is no paper label behind the sweatband. The Wool is fantastic and easily dry creases. Unique ribbed sweatband.

42459090354_d881c0256d_b.jpg
A real interesting hat. Very difficult to find in Italy because Monza was the capital of hats exportation (mostly in fantastic wool) until the fifties.
It is the first time I see the lining complete with the brand of "Cappellificio Monzese".
Hope to find some others here, this homburg is really a gem
Bravo Steven

A real interesting hat. Very difficult to find in Italy because Monza was the capital of hats exportation (mostly in fantastic wool) until the fifties.
It is the first time I see the lining complete with the brand of "Cappellificio Monzese".
Hope to find some others here, this homburg is really a gem
Bravo Steven
Daniele, Thanks! The Wool is really fantastic. It came from Berlin so most likely an export to Germany back in the day.

Panama is one of the usual ones that arrive in Europe from South America
2nsqred.jpg

Finished with little care and not very well shaped was an ugly duckling and before becoming a fluffy straw hat I sent it for an aesthetic cure in Holland from Fleur - Penumbra Hat
110hkpu.jpg

The result is what you see: the hat has become more attractive and with a good personality considering that it is one of the minimum qualities for a straw hat
34yqvm0.jpg

A new pleated bronze-golden ribbon and a new shape give it more dignity
2e4ln2g.jpg

The proportions are those of a normal panama: 7 cm. brim, 9 cm. the crown and the ribbon is at 4 cm. No lining only the tip of the original manufacturer and a new sweat band
34tcspy.jpg

A new life for this hat called to the hot Italian summer work
Excellent work again by Fleur, Daniele. Lifts up the look of the hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have received two new hats in the same number of weeks.

The first one I got is an Adventurebilt in Seaplane Gray. Brand new condition. The crown was really tall. No, I mean really tall, so I recreased it and then took some photos.

The hat looks brown here but it is indeed gray, but not the slightly bluish gray of a Carbon Gray Akubra Fed IV.

adventurebilt gray 20180704_130903_500x889.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The second hat. Well, the second hat arrived Tuesday. It is a 1940s John Cavanagh in sage green.

When I first saw it posted here months ago I thought how will I ever own that hat, or one like it? I had thought it was impossible to even think I could find one like it.

I was lucky enough to pluck this one from moon's big sell-off this week. This is amongst - no, my favorite hat that I've ever seen posted here.

Everything about it is pretty much perfect - fit, colors, dimensions, feel, and genuine 1940s vintageness. All together, an amazing hat that I am thrilled to now own.

cavanagh sage green 20180704_125614_500x706.jpg
cavanagh sage green 20180704_125604_500x676.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The second hat. Well, the second hat arrived Tuesday. It is a 1940s John Cavanagh in sage green.

When I first saw it posted here months ago I thought how will I ever own that hat, or one like it? I had thought it was impossible to even think I could find one like it.

I was lucky enough to pluck this one from moon's big sell-off this week. This is amongst - no, my favorite hat that I've ever seen posted here.

Everything about it is pretty much perfect - fit, colors, dimensions, feel, and genuine 1940s vintageness. All together, an amazing hat that I am thrilled to now own.

View attachment 125439 View attachment 125440
one of the best hats I've ever owned

enjoy it

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Some friends have visited Peru and in the past, I had some contacts with a cooperative of braided women who had a small online market. I knew that in Catacos, almost on the border with Ecuador, very similar hats as Montecristi, were produced
b9dbpu.jpg

(euphemism not to dislike the purists) the panama branded Montecriti, now become rare and overpaid, so by chance they would visit the area and have them sent to the store.
23hvxfn.jpg

They brought home three unfinished hats of average quality, my gift was the most impressive
728vvl.jpg

mc6lqa.jpg

The straw woven is fine and well made, except for an error on the brim, so I thought I could complete it in Europe
34htjdv.jpg

I had ideas that I discarded for logistical difficulties, then Stefan told me about Fleur, a hatter in the Netherlands, and we found an agreement to complete the hat
2lbnaz8.jpg

For my rule I leave to the hatter the choice of how to finish the hat and also of its shape, a couple of messages and my only indication was to curl the brim and the color and height, proportionate to the crown, of the ribbon
33yh090.jpg

The straw is a little bit soft and the brim needs some finishing not to be without shape
2ykxiep.jpg

It was a little bit stiffened with a new shape. This the proportions. brim are 9 cm. and crown is 12 cm. with the purple ribbon at 5 cm.
13yjv2h.jpg

Fleur of Penumbra Hat did a fantastic work with excellent choices and craftmanship.

Some friends have visited Peru and in the past, I had some contacts with a cooperative of braided women who had a small online market. I knew that in Catacos, almost on the border with Ecuador, very similar hats as Montecristi, were produced
b9dbpu.jpg

(euphemism not to dislike the purists) the panama branded Montecriti, now become rare and overpaid, so by chance they would visit the area and have them sent to the store.
23hvxfn.jpg

They brought home three unfinished hats of average quality, my gift was the most impressive
728vvl.jpg

mc6lqa.jpg

The straw woven is fine and well made, except for an error on the brim, so I thought I could complete it in Europe
34htjdv.jpg

I had ideas that I discarded for logistical difficulties, then Stefan told me about Fleur, a hatter in the Netherlands, and we found an agreement to complete the hat
2lbnaz8.jpg

For my rule I leave to the hatter the choice of how to finish the hat and also of its shape, a couple of messages and my only indication was to curl the brim and the color and height, proportionate to the crown, of the ribbon
33yh090.jpg

The straw is a little bit soft and the brim needs some finishing not to be without shape
2ykxiep.jpg

It was a little bit stiffened with a new shape. This the proportions. brim are 9 cm. and crown is 12 cm. with the purple ribbon at 5 cm.
13yjv2h.jpg

Fleur of Penumbra Hat did a fantastic work with excellent choices and craftmanship.
Very nice, a gentleman planter.

View attachment 125439 View attachment 125440
Scotty, Looks fantastic! Congrats!

b9dbpu.jpg

23hvxfn.jpg

728vvl.jpg

mc6lqa.jpg

34htjdv.jpg

2lbnaz8.jpg

33yh090.jpg

2ykxiep.jpg

13yjv2h.jpg

Daniele, Another super transformation. Fleur does excellent work. You also look great wearing it (see WHAYWT thread)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner