Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJR

Some friends have visited Peru and in the past, I had some contacts with a cooperative of braided women who had a small online market. I knew that in Catacos, almost on the border with Ecuador, very similar hats as Montecristi, were produced
b9dbpu.jpg

(euphemism not to dislike the purists) the panama branded Montecriti, now become rare and overpaid, so by chance they would visit the area and have them sent to the store.
23hvxfn.jpg

They brought home three unfinished hats of average quality, my gift was the most impressive
728vvl.jpg

mc6lqa.jpg

The straw woven is fine and well made, except for an error on the brim, so I thought I could complete it in Europe
34htjdv.jpg

I had ideas that I discarded for logistical difficulties, then Stefan told me about Fleur, a hatter in the Netherlands, and we found an agreement to complete the hat
2lbnaz8.jpg

For my rule I leave to the hatter the choice of how to finish the hat and also of its shape, a couple of messages and my only indication was to curl the brim and the color and height, proportionate to the crown, of the ribbon
33yh090.jpg

The straw is a little bit soft and the brim needs some finishing not to be without shape
2ykxiep.jpg

It was a little bit stiffened with a new shape. This the proportions. brim are 9 cm. and crown is 12 cm. with the purple ribbon at 5 cm.
13yjv2h.jpg

Fleur of Penumbra Hat did a fantastic work with excellent choices and craftmanship.
Very nice,I like the finished product.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Just arrived NOS Stetson panama. They said it was from the 50's, I think more 60's. (still new at this so only guessing) It came poorly boxed and partially crushed. :( But, The straw is very soft / shapes easily with a touch of steam and water and the brim snaps up or down perfectly. The sweatband is nearly perfect and very soft and the entire hat was clean as a whistle. 2 5/8 brim. Smells a bit like grandpas attic so it's sitting on the porch to air out before it gets a good steam cleaning and brush up.

60 stetson.jpg
20180705_152416.jpg
20180705_152529.jpg

Attachments

• 20180705_152341.jpg
    20180705_152341.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 65

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Some friends have visited Peru and in the past, I had some contacts with a cooperative of braided women who had a small online market. I knew that in Catacos, almost on the border with Ecuador, very similar hats as Montecristi, were produced
b9dbpu.jpg

(euphemism not to dislike the purists) the panama branded Montecriti, now become rare and overpaid, so by chance they would visit the area and have them sent to the store.
23hvxfn.jpg

They brought home three unfinished hats of average quality, my gift was the most impressive
728vvl.jpg

mc6lqa.jpg

The straw woven is fine and well made, except for an error on the brim, so I thought I could complete it in Europe
34htjdv.jpg

I had ideas that I discarded for logistical difficulties, then Stefan told me about Fleur, a hatter in the Netherlands, and we found an agreement to complete the hat
2lbnaz8.jpg

For my rule I leave to the hatter the choice of how to finish the hat and also of its shape, a couple of messages and my only indication was to curl the brim and the color and height, proportionate to the crown, of the ribbon
33yh090.jpg

The straw is a little bit soft and the brim needs some finishing not to be without shape
2ykxiep.jpg

It was a little bit stiffened with a new shape. This the proportions. brim are 9 cm. and crown is 12 cm. with the purple ribbon at 5 cm.
13yjv2h.jpg

Fleur of Penumbra Hat did a fantastic work with excellent choices and craftmanship.
Daniele:
This hat is fantastic!! No matter all the straws posted here, no matter the perfectness of the highest end straws, the finest of weaves or the status of names, i’d grab this straw beauty if my house was on fire and feel glad i did.
It just has “the look” and the “character”.
Enjoy and thanks for sharing.
Bowen

I have received two new hats in the same number of weeks.

The first one I got is an Adventurebilt in Seaplane Gray. Brand new condition. The crown was really tall. No, I mean really tall, so I recreased it and then took some photos.

The hat looks brown here but it is indeed gray, but not the slightly bluish gray of a Carbon Gray Akubra Fed IV.

View attachment 125438
The second hat. Well, the second hat arrived Tuesday. It is a 1940s John Cavanagh in sage green.

When I first saw it posted here months ago I thought how will I ever own that hat, or one like it? I had thought it was impossible to even think I could find one like it.

I was lucky enough to pluck this one from moon's big sell-off this week. This is amongst - no, my favorite hat that I've ever seen posted here.

Everything about it is pretty much perfect - fit, colors, dimensions, feel, and genuine 1940s vintageness. All together, an amazing hat that I am thrilled to now own.

View attachment 125439 View attachment 125440
Now those are Hats! With a capital H! Great score, Scotty.
b9dbpu.jpg

23hvxfn.jpg

728vvl.jpg

mc6lqa.jpg

34htjdv.jpg

2lbnaz8.jpg

33yh090.jpg

2ykxiep.jpg

13yjv2h.jpg

It is fantastic, Daniele. Looks like a fine weave and I love what you and Fleur decided to do with it. Great work.

NewJack

Practically Family
Arrived. Stem Winder Custom 'Dress Western' Hat in what is defined as a light gray. However, it looks like Silverbelly to me. Not much company history That I could find. Outside pics taken to show true color. A great deal that came with the hard case. The felt is 100X quality (not gonna claim to know what the X's mean!). But as I continue to collect hats, I learn more with each purchase and conversation with Loungers. The hand has a 'silky suede' feel but stiff as all get out! Lotsa steam to reshape the crown. But worth it. The lighter color makes for very careful handling for certain! This is a handsome Western/Fedora piece that appears to be well-made.

Attachments

• IMG_5463.jpg
    IMG_5463.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5468.jpg
    IMG_5468.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5469.JPG
    IMG_5469.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5472.JPG
    IMG_5472.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5464.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5473.jpg
    IMG_5473.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 94

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
The second hat. Well, the second hat arrived Tuesday. It is a 1940s John Cavanagh in sage green.

When I first saw it posted here months ago I thought how will I ever own that hat, or one like it? I had thought it was impossible to even think I could find one like it.

I was lucky enough to pluck this one from moon's big sell-off this week. This is amongst - no, my favorite hat that I've ever seen posted here.

Everything about it is pretty much perfect - fit, colors, dimensions, feel, and genuine 1940s vintageness. All together, an amazing hat that I am thrilled to now own.

View attachment 125439 View attachment 125440
I am glad you got it.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Arrived. Stem Winder Custom 'Dress Western' Hat in what is defined as a light gray. However, it looks like Silverbelly to me. Not much company history That I could find. Outside pics taken to show true color. A great deal that came with the hard case. The felt is 100X quality (not gonna claim to know what the X's mean!). But as I continue to collect hats, I learn more with each purchase and conversation with Loungers. The hand has a 'silky suede' feel but stiff as all get out! Lotsa steam to reshape the crown. But worth it. The lighter color makes for very careful handling for certain! This is a handsome Western/Fedora piece that appears to be well-made.

Great looking hat! I took some screen grabs for my reference file I used for future hat ideas. I particularly like to light ribbon and the curled brim. Great get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find, Jack. I love the brim curl on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner