Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Not sure it is a Gay Prince. The sweat has a crinkle (by design) at the join with « head spring » at the front which I think suggests that the sweat adjusts.

The shop owner reckons it is from 1939, but there is no paper label inside. It is gray, not brown as the photos suggest.

e015ad9baafe5c6b6f50aaa2d1ede31a.jpg

7f19923554ab09c0283d0f3363656c91.jpg

5c43c7d265fff92e41b1a830b88dd5a8.jpg

fe80a89a1fad2f1907a8604bb8c886a6.jpg

Very nice... a Gay Prince in styling but a twenty by price. 1950s. Enjoy it!

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I think I read that they call it a Gus because Gus McCrae was wearing one in "Lonesome Dove", the miniseries.

Lonesome Dove is way up there in my list of favorite books, and I have read many.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen or read Lonesome Dove. I'm not much of a reader anymore. I've been wanting to watch the series for quite some time now, but never got around to it. I guess I'll have to check my streaming services to see if it's on there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen or read Lonesome Dove. I'm not much of a reader anymore. I've been wanting to watch the series for quite some time now, but never got around to it. I guess I'll have to check my streaming services to see if it's on there.

My goodness, you need to rectify that right away! The movie series is impressive, but the book is even better if you have the time. It's a LONG book but the movie holds pretty true to the book. Either are worth your time.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Live and learn....so here is what TrueWest Magazine has to say about it. Bottom line a Gus comes from the movie Lonesome Dove, the original hat is was based upon was the Tom Mix. Pretty much the same hat crease but with a new movie name.

https://truewestmagazine.com/tom-mix-or-lonesome-gus/
I didn't know that. Loving Gus McCrae, I would rather think of it as a Gus.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

I've read the whole book three times, but I often re-read passages that I love, such as when Gus rescues Lorena. Wonderful book!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Buy the movie and the book from Amazon. I recommend you read the book first, though. You will not regret reading Lonesome Dove.

I can't say I'm ashamed, but I've also never read nor seen Lonesome Dove. Back in '89 I didn't care for "westerns" and didn't have the patience for miniseries', but it's now on my "I'll get around to it one of these days" list.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I can't say I'm ashamed, but I've also never read nor seen Lonesome Dove. Back in '89 I didn't care for "westerns" and didn't have the patience for miniseries', but it's now on my "I'll get around to it one of these days" list.
When it was firs recommended to me I thought of it as another western. Now it is in a category of its own.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I arrived in Texas to pick up my hats. Will return to Mexico City tomorrow with my precious cargo. Eighteen are from Anthony, three from eBay.
I finally know what vintage felts are like. It is true, many felts feel like tissue! Wonderful.
4081e7057e5da2d4b6e8290ab72405d5.jpg
881c771bfcd50277c0226e505f4aa85a.jpg

Precious cargo is right! Safe travels, Doc!

I arrived in Texas to pick up my hats. Will return to Mexico City tomorrow with my precious cargo. Eighteen are from Anthony, three from eBay.
I finally know what vintage felts are like. It is true, many felts feel like tissue! Wonderful.
4081e7057e5da2d4b6e8290ab72405d5.jpg
881c771bfcd50277c0226e505f4aa85a.jpg

Holy Hell......INSTANT World Class Collection!!!!!!:eek::eek:;););););););)
M:)

My fiddy-dollar O'Farrell arrived. Fits great! No markings behind the sweat band to date it, but probably from the mid-1980s. Feels quite "beavery".

View attachment 127440

View attachment 127441

View attachment 127442

View attachment 127443

View attachment 127444

View attachment 127445

Will probably flatten the brim. With the high fenders it looks a bit too "Freewheelin' Franklin"...

View attachment 127446

View attachment 127447

View attachment 127448

But I like Freewheelin' Franklin!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My fiddy-dollar O'Farrell arrived. Fits great! No markings behind the sweat band to date it, but probably from the mid-1980s. Feels quite "beavery".

View attachment 127440

View attachment 127441

View attachment 127442

View attachment 127443

View attachment 127444

View attachment 127445

Will probably flatten the brim. With the high fenders it looks a bit too "Freewheelin' Franklin"...

View attachment 127446

View attachment 127447

View attachment 127448
Looks like your luck is holding! I like the color lot. Are you going to go with the pull tab hat band?[emoji16].

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot