Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Y'know, now that you mention it...

fUwfxWq.jpg

I think Mr. Selleck looks older though.

:D

OMG you guys. I’m just seeing this. Wish I had his money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Greetings friends, it has been a while. Am on holiday in the US and walked into a shop in Pinedale, WY and spotted an original uncreased Stratoliner and Dobbs on a shelf amidst the western hats. Owner would not sell the Strat but we agreed on the Dobbs.

Am now in Jackson, WY and spotted a Beaver Creek Open road style in beaver felt..., not sure my wife will let me get away with two hats in a day! Anyways, here is the Dobbs with a travel case to help it get safely back to London.

Tapatalk is only letting me upload these 2 photos. It has a kind of stitched brim. Will post more photos when I can resolve my never ending struggle with this app.

8ee8de4bc20479ec16f11d2bdefdd2d4.jpg

0b7f69f3accffcf9bbf36104c5f2188e.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Greetings friends, it has been a while. Am on holiday in the US and walked into a shop in Pinedale, WY and spotted an original uncreased Stratoliner and Dobbs on a shelf amidst the western hats. Owner would not sell the Strat but we agreed on the Dobbs.

Am now in Jackson, WY and spotted a Beaver Creek Open road style in beaver felt..., not sure my wife will let me get away with two hats in a day! Anyways, here is the Dobbs with a travel case to help it get safely back to London.

Tapatalk is only letting me upload these 2 photos. It has a kind of stitched brim. Will post more photos when I can resolve my never ending struggle with this app.

Welcome to the US! Even if I'm not there at the moment... :D
I have no trouble at all with Tapatalk. Love it.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Wyldkarma

One Too Many

Nice catches...great travel case.

Score! Is that a Gay Prince? I love the whip stitching.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Score! Is that a Gay Prince? I love the whip stitching.

Not sure it is a Gay Prince. The sweat has a crinkle (by design) at the join with « head spring » at the front which I think suggests that the sweat adjusts.

The shop owner reckons it is from 1939, but there is no paper label inside. It is gray, not brown as the photos suggest.

e015ad9baafe5c6b6f50aaa2d1ede31a.jpg

7f19923554ab09c0283d0f3363656c91.jpg

5c43c7d265fff92e41b1a830b88dd5a8.jpg

fe80a89a1fad2f1907a8604bb8c886a6.jpg

Not sure it is a Gay Prince. The sweat has a crinkle (by design) at the join with « head spring » at the front which I think suggests that the sweat adjusts.

The shop owner reckons it is from 1939, but there is no paper label inside. It is gray, not brown as the photos suggest.

Very interesting! I don’t know enough to speculate but that sweat is new to me. Regardless, it’s a great looking hat. Good score.

Great to see you Christophe! Very cool stitching on that gem. The Golden Coach logo goes back quite a ways, so the age may be there. A Twenty too. Enjoy your stay here in the US. Hope to see more of your trip.

Definitely a Gay Prince design, even if it's not labeled. I think the Twenty designation overrides the model name in the markings.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Couldn’t be happier. Auction house hat arrived today. This hat was sold from an estate and not from the Monte Cristi. It Fits perfectly, came in original box, and appears flawless. It was listed at auction for $495 starting bid. A few seconds before the online auction was about to end there were no bids, so I threw out a lowball bid of $100. An hour later I get an email saying my bid was accepted, add $25 for S&H.

I emailed photos of the hat to Monte Cristi in Santa Fe and enquired as to the original cost and year it was made, and asked as to how much to clean and block one of their fine panama hats. I received the following email:

Mr. Larson: Is there a name or initials on the leather inside the hat, or beneath the sweatband a set of possibly five numbers? Without more information we can only tell you that it has been a long time since we used that particular leather. The value of the hat and band today is approximately $1450 plus. That is if there are no breaks in the crown or brim. Complete renovate to size $400. Milton

Milton Johnson
President
MONTECRISTI CUSTOM HAT WORKS
505 983 9598
montecristihats.com
hats@montecristihats.com

View attachment 126982 View attachment 126983 View attachment 126984
Received some hat history on this Auction House hat from Milton at Monte Cristi hats in Santa Fe, after I provided him the blocking numbers in the band:

"Hey, Ken. The hat was built for a man named Bob Klatt from Miami Beach in 1994 . The band is ours. It’s a three strand porcupine quill band made by Kazoku. We still carry these bands in shop. So, you can’t buy anything that quite looks just like it brand new. They are $150 per strand (three strands= 450). There is no piece missing in the back. We usually sew them now to where the leather tails hang off to the edge of the brim- this one just seems to have been finished in a different way".

I had no idea that hat band was made of porcupine quills, interesting. I also googled the previous owners name and it appears he passed away back in Sept of last year at the grand old age of 88. Other than his obit, not much info on the gentleman. I find it interesting knowing even just a little bit of history about our vintage hats.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
My order from Sunbody arrived yesterday. Problem is, this isn't the hat that I ordered! I wanted a medium crown cattleman. Obviously this is a Gus, I'm guessing their low crown. I measured the crown at the crease in the back, and it's at about 5". They say the cattleman is 4 3/4" at the crease. I'm debating whether I should soak and rebash it, or try getting the proper one.
54d6f18e636cc41f1072cdea1fa7a33a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
After seeing this crease again, I wonder if it might be a Tom Mix rather than a Gus?

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
After seeing this crease again, I wonder if it might be a Tom Mix rather than a Gus?
You may be correct on that. To be honest though, I had to Google what a Tom Mix was, as I've never seen or heard of that before. They call it a gus, but with the lower crown I can see where it's almost like a straight crease like the Tom Mix. In any case, the wheels are in motion to getting me the correct hat.

Very nice find, Christophe.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
You may be correct on that. To be honest though, I had to Google what a Tom Mix was, as I've never seen or heard of that before. They call it a gus, but with the lower crown I can see where it's almost like a straight crease like the Tom Mix. In any case, the wheels are in motion to getting me the correct hat.

I think I read that they call it a Gus because Gus McCrae was wearing one in "Lonesome Dove", the miniseries.

Lonesome Dove is way up there in my list of favorite books, and I have read many.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk