Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Black Stetson...finally

This just arrived. I had hoped it would be black, and it is - a Royal Stetson with 2.75" unbound brim, and it is truly mint. There is still a paper card in the box with the inspector's name on it.

The odd thing about it is that the brim comes up just slightly all the way around, but definitely snaps. Thoughts?

StetsBlackSide.jpg

StetsBlackUnB.jpg

StetsBlackLiner.jpg

StetsBlackEdge.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

I think that's what they call a kettle edge, but I've never quite figured out if I'm right. I've run across references to kettle edges from Crofut & Knapp and Stetson in the '20s and '30s, and somewhere I've seen photos and ads.

Whether or not it's called a kettle edge, what you have there is basically a pencil roll. I don't think it's meant to be snapped.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
I think that's what they call a kettle edge, but I've never quite figured out if I'm right. I've run across references to kettle edges from Crofut & Knapp and Stetson in the '20s and '30s, and somewhere I've seen photos and ads.

I've been of the impression that a kettle edge is open, while a pencil curl turns completely in on itself, forming a tube - though I can't remember where I saw that info.

edit: this doesn't clear up the distinction, but gives info on the kettle part.
click

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

Whether or not it's called a kettle edge, what you have there is basically a pencil roll. I don't think it's meant to be snapped.

Brad

Thanks Brad (Lefty also) - It's too late to get pics wearing it, but it looks good un-snapped...and snapped.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Another kettle edge? Ancient Mossant

3631627556_1fc659856c_b.jpg
3631699652_f927458a03_b.jpg

3631627826_f9db0dc981_b.jpg

One of 12 dirty ancient French Men's Hats all from the same store and with the same MP initials. All 4-1/2 size(7). 2 more Mossants are in better shape than this one and are being renovated. One boater and the rest felt Homburg variations in somewhat moth ravaged shape(many munches but no holes). I think they are all between the wars in vintage (WWI-II) 2" sweatbands unreeded high crowns and not very wide brims. I'm debating how many to dispose of(trash). 5 Women's hats of similar age but better condition also.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hückel Super Sport

Here is a pre-war/war Hückel Super Sport. A German Reichskanzler during the dreadful twelve years in German history wore a similar hat in his liesure times in Oberammergau: threadlink

buler

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Buler -- here's a 1948 Stetson Turf Club ad. I love the color -- "covert green"...

Cheers,
JtL

Excellent, thanks Jimmy! "Covert" being the operative word from the Chief of the bureau....

B

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm no buler, but today was a good day. These are the just-got-home, as-purchased photos. There are no moth, stain, or rip issues, and the sweat is solidly intact.

The bad news - it's not my size. It's a 7 1/8 that's been stretched (based upon the writing on the tape inside) to a 7 1/4. My axis measurements of 7 13/16 by 6 9/16 put it in the 7 1/4 category.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I'm no buler, but today was a good day. These are the just-got-home, as-purchased photos. There are no moth, stain, or rip issues, and the sweat is solidly intact.

The bad news - it's not my size. It's a 7 1/8 that's been stretched (based upon the writing on the tape inside) to a 7 1/4. My axis measurements of 7 13/16 by 6 9/16 put it in the 7 1/4 category.

I'm no buler... no wait I am buler. Lefty, thats a sweet looking borso! I like the blue.

B

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Seems like it is worth some sweatband stuffing if too large. Nice Borso...

Unfortunately, it's the other way around - it's far too small for me.

Thanks, fellers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner