Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Moving up towards the heavy hitters of this haul. Borsalino is the first of these.
Borsalino Celesca Ontano. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. This is a coffin box hat in the Qualitá Extra Extra Superiore and it shows. The hand of the felt is outstanding and the hat came back to life without much fuss after being squeezed in a box for about 70 years. It does need some TLC though, because it has collected some dirt and stains for some reason. Not as lightweight as I would have expected from a coffin box hat with its 118 grams on the scale (but no heavyweight). Label points towards the 1936-1953 time period. I'm thinking late forties to early fifties for this one.
View attachment 213358 View attachment 213359 View attachment 213360 View attachment 213361 View attachment 213362 View attachment 213363 View attachment 213364 View attachment 213365 View attachment 213366 View attachment 213367
Amazing!!
B

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Found a set of 3 mugs with the miniature hats on ebay, that are the same ones shown in the 1947 Esquire Ad. It was like the miniature hat boxes with a gift certificate that you gave your husband on Christmas. The Tom and Jerry drink is a warm eggnog type holiday drink with Rum and Cognac. Pretty Tasty !!

The hat itself has a suede like finish and is super soft. Lower crown than I’m used to at 4-1/2” open and 2” underwelt brim.

Me and the Wife had fun researching the history and origins of Tom and Jerry, as she collects vintage bar ware. I’ll post more info in the old Tom and Jerry thread. Now I’m on the hunt for all the embroidered liners I can find.....

I love my daughter's Tom n Jerry. Hers has a nice embroidered liner. It's got that super lightweight felt you can crease with your breath, a sexy pug and a worn out sweat. I'm always on the lookout for a good 50s Knox sweat in a beater hat so I can get that replaced for her.

i-Qrffrzs-XL.jpg

i-W6sK9R5-L.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I love my daughter's Tom n Jerry. Hers has a nice embroidered liner. It's got that super lightweight felt you can crease with your breath, a sexy pug and a worn out sweat. I'm always on the lookout for a good 50s Knox sweat in a beater hat so I can get that replaced for her.

i-Qrffrzs-XL.jpg

i-W6sK9R5-L.jpg

Nice one, looks like the embroidered liner us in great shape like mine. Mine had the onion skin cover that was very yellow snd brittle, so I removed it. I love these embroidered liners, on the look out for a Flying Cloud, Fox Hound, Game Bird and Rainbow now....

Found a set of 3 mugs with the miniature hats on ebay, that are the same ones shown in the 1947 Esquire Ad. It was like the miniature hat boxes with a gift certificate that you gave your husband on Christmas. The Tom and Jerry drink is a warm eggnog type holiday drink with Rum and Cognac. Pretty Tasty !!

The hat itself has a suede like finish and is super soft. Lower crown than I’m used to at 4-1/2” open and 2” underwelt brim.

Me and the Wife had fun researching the history and origins of Tom and Jerry, as she collects vintage bar ware. I’ll post more info in the old Tom and Jerry thread. Now I’m on the hunt for all the embroidered liners I can find.....

View attachment 213614

View attachment 213615

View attachment 213616

View attachment 213617

View attachment 213618

View attachment 213619

View attachment 213620
Very cool finds, Tim. From what I've seen these Tom and Jerry hats come in various forms. Excellent display you've set up there.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
One door closes and another door opens. Watched a Stetson St. Regis go for pretty cheap the other night and sort of regretted not making a play. A few minutes later this popped up and I jumped on it. My first heathered Borsalino, a "Tasso" Gorasgu in Misto Gris Fer:
IMG_1463.jpg IMG_1464.jpg
Currently in the deep freeze impatiently waiting. More details and specs in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
One door closes and another door opens. Watched a Stetson St. Regis go for pretty cheap the other night and sort of regretted not making a play. A few minutes later this popped up and I jumped on it. My first heathered Borsalino, a "Tasso" Gorasgu in Misto Gris Fer:
View attachment 213695 View attachment 213696
Currently in the deep freeze impatiently waiting. More details and specs in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

Wow, that’s a beauty Jonathan !

Great catch.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Some really nice finds, Stefan. Glad some of them are coming my way :)

It never ceases to amaze me that Borsalino would cram one of their hats into such a small box. Even more amazing that they just popped back to life again. Talk about a resurrection!

Moving up towards the heavy hitters of this haul. Borsalino is the first of these.
Borsalino Celesca Ontano. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. This is a coffin box hat in the Qualitá Extra Extra Superiore and it shows. The hand of the felt is outstanding and the hat came back to life without much fuss after being squeezed in a box for about 70 years. It does need some TLC though, because it has collected some dirt and stains for some reason. Not as lightweight as I would have expected from a coffin box hat with its 118 grams on the scale (but no heavyweight). Label points towards the 1936-1953 time period. I'm thinking late forties to early fifties for this one.
View attachment 213358 View attachment 213359 View attachment 213360 View attachment 213361 View attachment 213362 View attachment 213363 View attachment 213364 View attachment 213365 View attachment 213366 View attachment 213367

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Super catch, Jonathan.

Bet you can't wait for that one to arrive.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Very cool finds, Tim. From what I've seen these Tom and Jerry hats come in various forms. Excellent display you've set up there.

For sure Stefan, they are all over the place with the various forms. I believe it has to do with the suede type finish, and not the style. Seems to be the same with the other embroidered liners, the Knox Flying Cloud and Fox Hound and the Dobbs Game Bird and Rainbow all have many styles as well. I’m trying to fund wider brim versions, but I guess a little variety is nice, and I’ll go for whatever has a pristine liner.

Superb hat and a great find, Jonathan. I'm quite relieved it isn't my size.

Some really nice finds, Stefan. Glad some of them are coming my way :)

It never ceases to amaze me that Borsalino would cram one of their hats into such a small box. Even more amazing that they just popped back to life again. Talk about a resurrection!
I just wish every round of the shops I make would bring this number of hats (in my size would be nice as well).

These Borsalino coffin box hats are like vampires: open the box and they leap right at you. Instead of blood this one needed an infusion of mink oil before it would come to life though.

OK, here’s my sneak peak hat I posted the other day. I was waiting for the mugs and advertisement to show up.

Pretty cool if I do say so myself.

My wonderful wife even made the
drink for the mugs.....

View attachment 213609

View attachment 213610

View attachment 213608

View attachment 213612

View attachment 213611

View attachment 213607

View attachment 213604

View attachment 213603

View attachment 213605

View attachment 213606
Quite a cool little display you got there. Excellent hat Tim

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Nice find, Tim. Super looking hat style wise. Love that ribbon and colour combo, too.

View attachment 213614

View attachment 213615

View attachment 213616

View attachment 213617

View attachment 213618

View attachment 213619

View attachment 213620

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I just wish every round of the shops I make would bring this number of hats (in my size would be nice as well).

These Borsalino coffin box hats are like vampires: open the box and they leap right at you. Instead of blood this one needed an infusion of mink oil before it would come to life though.

Luckily for that Borsa it was in expert hands.

Mink oil? What is that? I'm interested to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto