Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Tim, Thank you! I have some other examples of that type of ribbon / bow work on my website. Here is Hückel Weilheim "Chevreau".

6283840608_cf01d2b4e7_b.jpg

Thanks for showing that. I really like the looks of that, and am definitely going to try it on my next hat that needs a ribbon replacement.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
This is a ‘Super Borsalino’ that arrived the other day.

The hat arrived a dirty crumpled mess. Now After a very thorough brushing and a quick reshaping... it’s now a much less crumped slightly less dirty hat.

I’m very curious if anyone knows anything about this model. Super Borsalino. This one appears to be French or at least was sold at a French hat store. Sools Maitre Chapelier.

I’m not sure what is up with this felt. Which appears either a dark grey or medium to darker brownish.. depending on light. It is somewhat stiff... which allows for it to keep a razor sharp raw edge.. but it also feels that way in the crown.. (almost like canvas that has become sun dried) however it molds easily into shape still. Can pop it open.. or put in a crease easily. The ribbon is falling off... and under the ribbon the felt is a much lighter colored grey that feels a bit more smooth. I wonder if maybe there was a treatment put on the felt after the ribbon was attached. I don’t think it is just from being extremely dirty as the darker color is fairly uniform on all the exposed parts. Except a small area right on the bottom front of the brim that is lighter... maybe from tipping the brim.

I did find the remnants of a manufacturer label.. but it is rather damaged. Can make out a few details on it. The sweat appears to be unreeded and is coming unattached in a few spots popping it’s stitches as the edge of the leather appears sewn directly to the corner of the felt.

I think I see the remnants of either a cellophane or paper liner tip

any thoughts on it are appreciated

View attachment 213817 View attachment 213818
View attachment 213824
View attachment 213825 View attachment 213823 View attachment 213822 View attachment 213820 View attachment 213821
View attachment 213826
Interesting one there Joe, hopefully some of our resident Borsalino experts have some info on it.

That is crazy about the color difference under the ribbon, even the ribbon is much lighter underneath. Maybe it really is just that dirty. Don’t know if I would do a Naphtha bath with the sweat coming unattached, but maybe just try some good old mild soap and water.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab

The hat arrived a dirty crumpled mess. Now After a very thorough brushing and a quick reshaping... it’s now a much less crumped slightly less dirty hat.

I’m very curious if anyone knows anything about this model. Super Borsalino. This one appears to be French or at least was sold at a French hat store. Sools Maitre Chapelier.

I’m not sure what is up with this felt. Which appears either a dark grey or medium to darker brownish.. depending on light. It is somewhat stiff... which allows for it to keep a razor sharp raw edge.. but it also feels that way in the crown.. (almost like canvas that has become sun dried) however it molds easily into shape still. Can pop it open.. or put in a crease easily. The ribbon is falling off... and under the ribbon the felt is a much lighter colored grey that feels a bit more smooth. I wonder if maybe there was a treatment put on the felt after the ribbon was attached. I don’t think it is just from being extremely dirty as the darker color is fairly uniform on all the exposed parts. Except a small area right on the bottom front of the brim that is lighter... maybe from tipping the brim.

I did find the remnants of a manufacturer label.. but it is rather damaged. Can make out a few details on it. The sweat appears to be unreeded and is coming unattached in a few spots popping it’s stitches as the edge of the leather appears sewn directly to the corner of the felt.

View attachment 213824
View attachment 213825 View attachment 213823 View attachment 213822 View attachment 213820 View attachment 213821
View attachment 213826

Very cool raw edge mid-ribbon, Joe!

I tried applying several different filters but it didn't seem to help much, if at all, in making headway with the factory tag. Based on your comment about it appearing grey or brown based on the lighting conditions the color morello came to mind for me. Obviously I would defer those with much greater experience with Borsalino.

If you search Sools you'll get several pages of hits. They were a prolific French hat retailer. I suspect Stefan and/or Daniele could probably shed a bit more light on this one for you.

Interesting one there Joe, hopefully some of our resident Borsalino experts have some info on it.

That is crazy about the color difference under the ribbon, even the ribbon is much lighter underneath. Maybe it really is just that dirty. Don’t know if I would do a Naphtha bath with the sweat coming unattached, but maybe just try some good old mild soap and water.
Tim.. it is very strange to me. Yeah... it’s almost like it is faded under and on the back side of the ribbon. But that doesn’t seem to make sense. I was thinking maybe it was treated for water repellency or something like that... like when you oil fabric and it gets that dark look to it... or maybe something as simple as a previous owner dyed it darker. The feeling and texture of the felt too makes me feel like something is applied. That lighter area.. I think kinda feels more like what I would expect as hand. But it’s such a small sample area to really tell

Very cool raw edge mid-ribbon, Joe!

I tried applying several different filters but it didn't seem to help much, if at all, in making headway with the factory tag. Based on your comment about it appearing grey or brown based on the lighting conditions the color morello came to mind for me. Obviously I would defer those with much greater experience with Borsalino.

If you search Sools you'll get several pages of hits. They were a prolific French hat retailer. I suspect Stefan and/or Daniele could probably shed a bit more light on this one for you.
Thanks... I may be able to get a better look at that tag.. though it is pretty damaged. I was concerned about the sweat... but also the tag looks like it was sorta stuck to the inside of the sweat a bit and part of it peeled off. There is a dried almost adhesive like substance behind the sweat and along the liner I originally thought was the liner glued in.. but then saw it was also tacked in with thread. And then thought someone had maybe glued the sweat in place when it started popping threads...

But now I am thinking may actually be whatever the felt was treated with seeped though behind the sweatband and liner causing them all,to kinda stick together. Again just a guess.

I am definitely interested to see what Stefan and Daniele may think on this one.

OK, here’s my sneak peak hat I posted the other day. I was waiting for the mugs and advertisement to show up.

Pretty cool if I do say so myself.

My wonderful wife even made the
drink for the mugs.....

View attachment 213609

View attachment 213610

View attachment 213608

View attachment 213612

View attachment 213611

View attachment 213607

View attachment 213604

View attachment 213603

View attachment 213605

View attachment 213606

Now you need the matching hard hat.

Picture5.png

Not much brim, though.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Now you need the matching hard hat.

View attachment 213930

Not much brim, though.

LOL, good one ! My wife has actually already been looking at the various holiday punch bowl and mug sets on ebay for next Christmas. Seems they made quite a few designs, some by the same company that made Fiestaware.

She has been making eggnog from scratch every Christmas for years, now she says she's going to replace it with the Tom & Jerry......

SteveFord

A-List Customer
Frunobulax has exquisite taste so he may have had it custom made for him.
It certainly doesn't look like something swiped from a Chinese restaurant.

Oh well, enough silliness, time to take the wife to the doctor.
Something is not right, sleeping a lot and is having bouts of extreme dizziness.
Old age ain't for sissies!

LOL, good one ! My wife has actually already been looking at the various holiday punch bowl and mug sets on ebay for next Christmas. Seems they made quite a few designs, some by the same company that made Fiestaware.

She has been making eggnog from scratch every Christmas for years, now she says she's going to replace it with the Tom & Jerry......

This was my mom's; I don't know how old it is. I have the set. They go for pretty cheap on eBay and in antique stores.

I originally posted this a few years ago, during another T&J discussion. It touched off a bit of nuttiness on the FL. I have pics I saved of some members with various bowls, colanders, etc on their heads.

Frunobulax has exquisite taste so he may have had it custom made for him.
It certainly doesn't look like something swiped from a Chinese restaurant.

Oh well, enough silliness, time to take the wife to the doctor.
Something is not right, sleeping a lot and is having bouts of extreme dizziness.
Old age ain't for sissies!

Take care of her, Steve.

And yeah, exquisite taste, that's me, LOL.

View attachment 213824
View attachment 213826
Cool find, Joe. Gérard Sools was a high end retailer who sold hats mostly under his own brand (but made by various manufacturers). Borsalino did the "Super Borsalino" designation on request of retailers. I've seen them done for a few different ones. The cerrated label puts the hat anywhere between the mid-thirties and mid-sixties, but somewhere in the mid- to late fifties is most likely. Impossible to say what the original colour of it was; Borsalino had forty greys we know of! There was definitely something put on the hat after the ribbon was put on, but what? It certainly wasn't done by Borsalino.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

cf16e437-f0f7-4da0-b0f6-967943615e9b-jpeg.213817
Joe hope you got it for free!
This Borsalino seems a veteran of the Punic wars o_O
However it is a hat made exclusively for Sools, see also the stamp on the sweat band, "Super Borsalino" very little used normally. The color of the felt is the darkest one, the one under the bow is the color with the dust. The hat appears to have been outdoors for quite some time. You can probably have something better in your hand after a well done cleaning, but I doubt it's worth investing money. From the size tag is a hat that can be at most fifty years old.

Thanks for chiming in on this one Stefan. So a kinda sorta... but not really ‘private label’ by Borsalino for Sools then? I haven’t seen too many of these Super Borso... none of the ones I came across were of this style. None were quite so beat up either. I think Randall has one in. Homburg style.

It was kinda funny.. I saw it last Sunday night offered at $20 bucks BIN. And for whatever reason thought I’d sleep on it.. figuring it would be probably gone. The next morning after spending half the night and morning in the ER with my wife.. I decide to pick up my phone and see the seller offering it to me for $15! I immediately hit purchase..., and slide the phone back in my pocket. LOL

The ribbon really needs replacing as it is split on the back side. But I might just go for a quick temp/permanent easy fix on it.

Now back to speculating what was applied... water treatment or color... maybe I’ll dump a glass of water over it see if it all beads up. :p

Joe hope you got it for free!
This Borsalino seems a veteran of the Punic wars o_O
However it is a hat made exclusively for Sools, see also the stamp on the sweat band, "Super Borsalino" very little used normally. The color of the felt is the darkest one, the one under the bow is the color with the dust. The hat appears to have been outdoors for quite some time. You can probably have something better in your hand after a well done cleaning, but I doubt it's worth investing money. From the size tag is a hat that can be at most fifty years old.
Haha Daniele... $15 counts as free right? I figured it was worth that to me for the curiosity factor. I wouldn’t put a professional cleaning into it... but I’m sure I can get it to a point on my own where I will enjoy it myself. Even if it’s just a trail hat. I do like that sharp raw edge it has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana