Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
“Playboy?” Surely with a bound brim it’s more of a Wanderer. ;)

I’m weak and I couldn’t help myself, Jim.

I thought about referencing Wanderer, but since I was just talking about the crown ribbon treatment...

Edit: I was just looking arond at the Wanderer thread. Apparently, we've never actually seen an example in-hand, according to that thread, only ads. All the "Wanderers" on the site are either VS clones or similar, but not branded, Stetson models.

Alan has a Dunlap Wanderer, though.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/they-call-me-the-wanderer.47675/

Last edited:
Stetson Excellent Stratoliner in caribou colour. Made under license in Germany in the mid to late fifties. Says size 58 on the label, but actually a size 59 from the measurements. Bound brim at 7cm and crown 11cm at the center dent. I believe it was Mayser that held the German license for Stetson. The bow treatment is slightly different from what is usual for a Stratoliner and also different from another licensed Stratoliner I found a while ago.

stetson-strato-caribou_01-jpg.268984
stetson-strato-caribou_02-jpg.268985
stetson-strato-caribou_03-jpg.268986
stetson-strato-caribou_04-jpg.268987
stetson-strato-caribou_06-jpg.268988
stetson-strato-caribou_07-jpg.268989
stetson-strato-caribou_08-jpg.268990
stetson-strato-caribou_09-jpg.268991
stetson-strato-caribou_10-jpg.268992
stetson-strato-caribou_11-jpg.268993
Stefan, Super! You are correct about it being made by Mayser under license.

Some other examples.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=1958

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=685

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful finds, Daniele. Surprising to see such high quality finishes on woollen hats.

Very nice find, Daniele. The colours work very well.

Beautiful hat and an excellent find, Daniele. Nice to bring in a haul of hats every once in a while.

Very cool find and nice proof of the collaboration between the two companies. Finish on the hat looks wonderful.
I'd have to say the "real" Borsalino Ecosca is the winner though (and not only because this one is green;)).
Thanks Stefan!
In Monza the wool felt was the King as in some others European location of hats producers, above all before the 40's
The haul of Italians are a nice surprise and some confirmation about the collaboration/war between the producers.

Stetson Excellent Stratoliner in caribou colour. Made under license in Germany in the mid to late fifties. Says size 58 on the label, but actually a size 59 from the measurements. Bound brim at 7cm and crown 11cm at the center dent. I believe it was Mayser that held the German license for Stetson. The bow treatment is slightly different from what is usual for a Stratoliner and also different from another licensed Stratoliner I found a while ago.

stetson-strato-caribou_01-jpg.268984
This Stratolinear EU production is a nice hat, the color of the felt is really interesting:)

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Thanks Stefan!
In Monza the wool felt was the King as in some others European location of hats producers, above all before the 40's
The haul of Italians are a nice surprise and some confirmation about the collaboration/war between the producers.

This Stratolinear EU production is a nice hat, the color of the felt is really interesting:)

Daniele, you truly are the Borsalino whisperer. That Condor Ecosca is a work of art.

View attachment 269569 View attachment 269570 View attachment 269571 View attachment 269572 View attachment 269573 View attachment 269574 View attachment 269575 View attachment 269576

I found this No.1 quality, I think it's from 1920's after I reader the book.
It feels like a Nutria or 3X beaver , 3 thin ribbons.

That’s a beautiful and unique No. 1. The ribbon and bow especially so. I’ve seen several Stetson’s with two three ply ribbons stacked in such a fashion but never three. Great find. “Soft staple” refers to rabbit.

View attachment 269569 View attachment 269570 View attachment 269571 View attachment 269572 View attachment 269573 View attachment 269574 View attachment 269575 View attachment 269576

Gorgeous hat, and I know why you love the felt. It’s hard to believe there was a time with even the lower grade hats were made with such exceptional felt.

349D8993-553F-4AB0-B351-59E3AF5FD2B2.jpeg

Last edited:

As Sulu would say, "Oh, my!"

That’s a beautiful and unique No. 1. The ribbon and bow especially so. I’ve seen several Stetson’s with two three ply ribbons stacked in such a fashion but never three. Great find. “Soft staple” refers to rabbit.

I didn't know that about the staple. Thanks.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

HuangCheng

New in Town
Gorgeous hat, and I know why you love the felt. It’s hard to believe there was a time with even the lower grade hats were made with such exceptional felt.

View attachment 269622
Does that photo means Stetson did that numbers of hat in May 1st 1922?
It's very interesting to read history. Thank you,Brent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ