Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bassman

A-List Customer
indycop said:
I like this one enough that I am thinking of getting another just like it but with a different color ribbon!:D

GEDC0801-1.jpg
I just picked up a cheap one of these in brown off of e-bay. I love the Optimo crown.
I'll try get some shots up.

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
For the Ann Arbor Independence Day parade, I brought out the rollable optimo crown Cuenca that Panama Bob found for me a couple of weeks ago:
th_panama4Jul09cropped2-1.jpg

Still working on little details like putting it on straight and getting the brim to not curl up at the edges like a potato chip (head's way longer fore-to-aft than it is across). My wife still thinks it looks wierd, but nobody's come right out and laughed at it to my face yet.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Do any of those appear to have a brim this narrow with a crown of this size at that time? I've seen(or ads) narrower brims(common early 60's) but the crowns seem to be in proportion(discounting earlier 30's hats).

The information is from an article where John Garvan Cavanagh, manager of the store at that time, was interviewed. There are photos, but none show hats well enough to tell.

But, even if the snapbrims were measured in 1/8 widths, they could go from 3" at the widest, say, down to 1 7/8", or somewhere in a similar range.

These hats could be around '55, and they could be possibly even a decade newer. And, if they have been shorn of their Cavanagh Edges, it will be a shame. We'll just have to wait and see.

Brad

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
buler said:
Excellent shape grey Mach Lachlan. Has the thickest felt I've come across so far. 2 1/4" brim with raw edge. 2" ribbon. Dark butterscotch sweatband with light embossed makers name and embossed top edge, non-reeded. Reddish-brown paper size tag. Did I mention how THICK the felt was?

B

mach_1.jpg

mach_2.jpg

mach_3.jpg

mach_4.jpg

mach_5.jpg

mach_6.jpg

mach_7.jpg

mach_8.jpg

That wouldn't be a recent eBay hat, would it? If so, I didn't bid very high on that one because the seller ASSURED me it was light brown, and I wanted grey - but it still LOOKS grey to me in your photos.

Nice hat, in any case.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Chiliarches said:
That wouldn't be a recent eBay hat, would it? If so, I didn't bid very high on that one because the seller ASSURED me it was light brown, and I wanted grey - but it still LOOKS grey to me in your photos.

Nice hat, in any case.

Chiliarches, you'll find a lot of hats can look different colors in different lighting. This is, to my eye, a medium grey with brown overtones. So in certain lighting it does look brownish. But I'd call it grey. Yes, it was on ebay.

B

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Town and country

I've been shut out of a few auctions on ebay recently (on that beautiful MacLachlan posted above, among others) so I wandered over to hippiebay ... err ... Etsy to see what was available in the vintage section.

I live in a rural area, and I like the idea of having "town" and "country" hats for different occasions. Along those lines, I think I did pretty nicely.

The first hat I picked up is a Resistol fedora purported to be never worn. It appears that it was also never shaped.

il_430xN.76325511.jpg

The other hat is an Open Road-style Champ that looks in great shape.

il_430xN.44013888.jpg

So I have my town and country hats. Which is a good thing, since if I do any more online bargain-hunting this month, my wife is likely to impose parental controls on my computer.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some really nice hats this week. Dinerman, that Stetson looks great on you with that suit. You handle so many styles of hats well.

IC, I love the look of that pamama; just a slightly larger brim and you would own the "Southern Gentleman" look completely. Great ribbon and crease work from PBob.

Tooch, two really nice choices. On-the-Head shots???

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nice score, Tooch, both of them. Nice box to go with the Resistol. What did you pay, if I may ask? The site didn't yield any info on the price (but maybe that's just me, as I don't remember where I left my glasses and I hate rubbing noses with my CRT... :eek: ).

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Nice score, Tooch, both of them. Nice box to go with the Resistol. What did you pay, if I may ask? The site didn't yield any info on the price (but maybe that's just me, as I don't remember where I left my glasses ).

The Resistol was $43 delivered. The Champ was $35 delivered. I really can't complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats