Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson No. 1 Quality Western

3704248505_d6e57e4cfe_b.jpg

3705058084_50be580922_b.jpg

3704248985_8fff2d03e0.jpg
3705058612_b9ef00fc09.jpg
3704248319_10e324e1c8.jpg

Very soft with taped sweatband seam 2" wide. Brim has ribbon on underside edge only and doubled around crown.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Sovereign Stetson Suede Finish Olive Green

3705348014_9a60a03d48_b.jpg

3704540179_d8b8aefec3_b.jpg

3704539935_af5eb33e7e_b.jpg

3705288450_2183e7a434.jpg
3705288676_6c448e64f7.jpg
3704479979_b9052178b0.jpg

3704539461_8b1de7dafa_b.jpg

3705287358_c5c5c0e3bf.jpg
3704478713_a6729a7948.jpg
3704661293_b822b6661b.jpg

Very Green and ultra-soft "Suede Finish". The third photo(side view) is the best color representation. The band around the crown is a single thickness of felt. The edge is an additional piece of felt sewn to the underside then wrapped around and felted into the top like a typical Cavanagh Edge with the stitched line from below further up the brim. The listing was incorrect as to size(said 7-3/8, clearly tagged 7-1/4) and the brim is a generous 2-3/4" not 2-1/2" as listed. Date speculations?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
rlk, I can't get over some of the old westerns you come up with. Very good that they wind up with someone like you who appreciates them and wears them well.

Also, that green Sovereign is a very unusual (in my experience) and good looking fedora. Interesting addition to your impressive - and growing - collection.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
rlk, I can't get over some of the old westerns you come up with. Very good that they wind up with someone like you who appreciates them and wears them well.

Also, that green Sovereign is a very unusual (in my experience) and good looking fedora. Interesting addition to your impressive - and growing - collection.

:arated: That is a super-cool hat, but as much as I like to keep things original, I'd rip off that felt band and replace with a 1" ribbon of similar color.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
cooncatbob said:
I'll start this off. Not exactly new as I got it for myself for Christmas, but it's likely to be the last new hat I get for a while.

2155525448_d94fb4d708.jpg

The Dusty Rose. By Art Fawcett.
What a beauty...:eusa_clap

JerseyMutt

New in Town
MarkL said:
Welcome to FL, JerseyMutt. You will find some amazing folks here...almost as amazing as the hats! <smile>

Those black/white photos you posted look great!!!

Again...WELCOME!

Well, everyone has definitely been great so far. Been enjoying just kinda lurking and reading through the wealth of information that's contained on this site.

My addiction has begun already. Just nabbed a Bee fedora off of ebay. More info, plus pics when it arrives. :D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Carey, Gene,ScottF ,Golden E.. Since I have a weakness for slightly unusual hats(Western and Green in particular) it was a good hat day. Also, there's less competition for these items...I'll keep the felt band as its part of the overall "Plush" quality of this hat. Both hats are quite large(but my correct size).

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars

The information is from an article where John Garvan Cavanagh, manager of the store at that time, was interviewed. There are photos, but none show hats well enough to tell.

But, even if the snapbrims were measured in 1/8 widths, they could go from 3" at the widest, say, down to 1 7/8", or somewhere in a similar range.

These hats could be around '55, and they could be possibly even a decade newer. And, if they have been shorn of their Cavanagh Edges, it will be a shame. We'll just have to wait and see.

well, the hat arrived today. unfortunately it does seem to have had the brim shortened. However its in good condition, and the crown is not as high as it appears in the pictures. I also found a price tag inside the sweatband which says either 20 or 30 dollars i cant tell which.
!BVUcE2w!2k~$(KGrHgoOKiwEjlLmE-R)BKR7OCiSZQ~~_12.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's too bad. I was hoping I saw something hiding under that ribbon. So these were most likely older hats that were sacrificed in the name of style in the Sixties.

Still, a good hat. Enjoy.

Brad

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
First eBay old hat, oops! I meant "vintage"

Here's a Homburg I won this week on eBay.

The color is, oh, let's call it "fawn". It's browner than these pictures,

kil0n0vember

This label was under the sweatband and liner. It reads thus ...

To the upper right of the label, written by hand is "1529"

Below that appears to be a size marking "7 1/2"

The left of the label is what appears to be a decorative initial letter, followed by "LAYBOURNE" written by hand.

Below the decorative initial letter, "Made in England".

To the right of the "Made in England" and below the "LAYBOURNE" is "ASH".

kil0n0vember

Left Front view

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss303/kil0n0vember/?action=view&current=homburg-liner.jpg
Liner -- Reads "John Reinitz HAT MFG 244 WEST 49th ST NEW YORK

I'm sorry the links appear instead of the images, but I don't understand why the
pseudo markup displays the URL and not the image.

The ribbon shows discoloration at the margins. The binding has spots and is a little frayed near the seam. The hat body also has a few spots. The sweat band is in excellent condition, but for the fact that it is detached. Likewise the liner is detached.

So, what have I got here?

I'm thinking that I'll send it out to be cleaned. I probably will want the ribbon and the binding to be replaced.

Please advise. Thanks.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
New old homburg

Thank you. I will post the "after" pics when I've got it redone. I am hoping that the others will chime in with dating and other identification information. Hey! Brad Bowers! Are you listening?

KILO NOVEMBER said:
Thank you. I will post the "after" pics when I've got it redone. I am hoping that the others will chime in with dating and other identification information. Hey! Brad Bowers! Are you listening?

You might want to post a pic of the sweat and liner. I thinking 30s or 40s. I have no idea about the make but looks to be of very high quality.

If you have it redone it will probably be tough to match the ribbon to the binding. I not sure if Optimo (if you choose them) replace bindings on Homburgs. I had them size up, replace a sweat and ribbon on a 1940 black Habig Homburg and they did a great job. You can see it in the Homburg Nation thread.

Also please remember to post it in on the Homburg Nation thread.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
John Reintiz Homburg sweatband

kil0n0vember

Here is a photo of the sweatband. It is 1 7/8" wide. There is a dark brown piece stitched at the bottom. On the back of the sweatband it extends about a 3/8" and is sewn so that it makes a kind of channel through which runs what appears to be a monofilament string (like fishing line). Also on the back is a clear plastic liner. My guess is that its purpose is to act as a moisture barrier between the leather and the felt of the hat.

The liner picture link is in the original message.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
Love that fuzzy old Stetson Garrett! Is that a Burgundy color?

It is a mixture of burgundy/brown and that ribbon is an interesting shade of green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff