Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My First Stetson!...

Hi,
these are two pictures of my first ever Stetson. I had posted a classified wanting a Whippet and Zetwal replied (a few months after) and sold me this beauty in mint condition. The color is hard to explain, I'd say it's a taupe/light brown with a gorgeous chocolate brown ribbon. The sweat is intact and the original price tag inside says $10.95!
Thanks so much Zetwal!:)

Forgot to mention that it was shipped open crown and I bashed it like that myself.

Jimmy the lid said it could very well be form the mid/late fifties, you guys agree?

DSC04085.jpg

DSC04086.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
S.L. Bird and Son, Detroit

I posted the side view on the ebay topic but here are some others of my latest acquisition:

Greenfedora2.jpg

Greenfedora4.jpg

Has anybody heard of this seller? Thanks for looking!

John

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Levallois, this one looks really nice. I'm usually a little bit suspicious about green hats...dunno why...but this one really won me over. I need a dark green hat too! :D All thumbs up! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Levallois said:
I posted the side view on the ebay topic but here are some others of my latest acquisition:

Greenfedora2.jpg

Greenfedora4.jpg

John

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Chinaski! You're right, it's a real beauty - and I'm so happy that I was able to fetch it. :)

I'll have to go now and give my just arrived Dobbs Twenty a good steaming...I'll post some pics later... :D

Chinaski said:
Mario, that Mayser is a beauty - I like the raw edge as well. Nice work! :eusa_clap

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
lol lol lol

I bet that one cost you a fortune! :D :D

Indeed, it did cost some effort lol lol

Sitting in a train next to someone wearing a Stetson 100, who do you think would be noted first? :D :rolleyes:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Twenty

So here is my Dobbs Twenty, which arrived about two hours ago.
It was a bit out of shape when I opened the box, so I gave it a good brushing and a quick bash. It's a 6 7/8, with the brim just a tad above the 2" mark; the crown is 4 1/2" tall (creased). I consider myself pretty lucky with that hat, as I got the it for just £15,79.

Any idea about it's age, based on the liner?

dobbs_twenty.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
So here is my Dobbs Twenty, which arrived about two hours ago.
It was a bit out of shape when I opened the box, so I gave it a good brushing and a quick bash. It's a 6 7/8, with the brim just a tad above the 2" mark; the crown is 4 1/2" tall (creased). I consider myself pretty lucky with that hat, as I got the it for just £15,79.

Any idea about it's age, based on the liner?

dobbs_twenty.jpg

Excellent one! I spotted it, too, and would have gone for it, were in my szise :D

Very rare to find a Dobbs in the UK. Having said that, I have come across some. So, there must have been some importer or it is a souvenir. It is the first Guild Edge one, however!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Excellent one! I spotted it, too, and would have gone for it, were in my szise :D

Very rare to find a Dobbs in the UK. Having said that, I have come across some. So, there must have been some importer or it is a souvenir. It is the first Guild Edge one, however!

See? That's the way it goes. That lovely black Mayser went to you, this beautiful Dobbs decided to come with me. Can't have 'em all, can ya? Peaceful coexistence is based on a multitude of different hat sizes and tastes spread throughout a given community... ;)

You're right about Dobbs on the UK bay, though. They have some really nice local (UK-made) vintage lids, but rarely ever any US hats, so I just had to go for that Dobbs when it surfaced... :D

*me does a little dance*

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Peaceful coexistence is based on a multitude of different hat sizes spread throughot a given community... ;)

Max Weber????

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Peaceful coexistence is based on a multitude of different hat sizes spread throughot a given community... ;)

Max Weber????

lol lol lol

Well, not really...just a little excerpt from my forthcoming book on that very subject matter:

"A socio-ethnological study of a virtual village (Insights into a community of international hat afficionados)".

BTW: I'm taking pre-orders... :D :D

buler

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:

John

Here is a window display from S.L Bird and a bit of history.

SLBIRD

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183