Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
View attachment 321711

Mallory Premier

Rich chocolate brown felt

4 1/2 crown as shaped

1 5/8 brown grosgrain ribbon

2 1/2 front 2 3/8 sides dimensional brim with 3/8 bound edge

A real heavy brushing removed several decades of dirt, dust and cigarette smoke to reveal the absolutely beautiful rich chocolate brown felt on this Mallory Premier with whippet styling. The liner has the 1817 date which I believe indicates a post 1946 Stetson take over hat. My guess would be a 1950s hat. This hat very very much so looks and feels a whole heck of a lot like my whippet in it’s blocking, proportions and styling as well as felt quality. Really really happy with this hat. Definitely not bad for a “Boys Size 7 Youth Dress Hat”. Thank you to @BobHufford for the enabling on this one!

View attachment 321712
View attachment 321720 View attachment 321713 View attachment 321714 View attachment 321715 View attachment 321716 View attachment 321717 View attachment 321718 View attachment 321719
Excellent find, Joe. I tend to look at the older Mallory hats as the ones to go for, but this one has a great look to it as well.

Speaking of Joe @Blare, I have him to thank for this, the third new hat of the day. I knew it was on its way, but didn't know it would arrive today. A Wormser Bowler. He put me on to it after Rick's @quikrick post of him turning one of his Wormsers into a Derby
Wonderful shape to this one, which my photos don't capture. Great feel to the felt. The liner sits loose. The leather sweat is so soft and so comfortable to wear.
Thanks for the tip, Joe. My first ever eBay buy. View attachment 321971 View attachment 321972 View attachment 321973 View attachment 321974 View attachment 321975
Some very nice catches, Steve. Always good to find a Habig. I'd have to give this round to the Wormser though; super looking bowler.

Dobbs Gay Prince - Grey

View attachment 322014

Dobbs Gay Prince
Ultra thin velvet/velour like grey felt
5 inch crown as shaped - 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 open
2 3/4 brim with saddle stitched edge
7/8 self felted band with saddle accents

This super cool hat was enabled by Jonathan @TheOldFashioned. I was actually keen to let it pass on as I have a tan Gay Prince that doesn’t get enough wear... however the seller sent an offer which opened the door to some haggling and hooked me in. I really like the grey color on this one. My Tan GP appears to be a 1940s hat based on its manufacturing tag. This one has no such tag a few cues point to this being a slightly later hat. There is a very crinkly oil skin like liner protector... not the silky one from the later 50s though. The Dobbs Gay prince logo has the gold embossed carriage which also points 50s. I’ll probably do a side by side on the soon... but a quick impression is the felt is very similar to the 40s if possible slightly thinner and softer... however it seemed less obedient in holding a pinch. That was rectified somewhat when I opened up the crown and removed the rather deep center dent it was preferring. With a more shallow dent the side dents held very nicely and gave the crown a much fuller look. The grey felt shifts slightly to green hues in the late afternoon light... showed some more neutral to blue tones in other light. The hat over all is in extremely nice Shape... the saddle stitching is fully in tact and it has its original Gay Prince signature feather in all its glory! Or close anyway ;) Only thing I found was a small hole in the liner tip. Will do up a side by side on my two GP soon.

View attachment 322023 View attachment 322024 View attachment 322025 View attachment 322026 View attachment 322027 View attachment 322028 View attachment 322029 View attachment 322030

The sellers original photos were so nice I decided to keep them for posterity :)

View attachment 322031
Very cool.

View attachment 322865 Another lucky strike on Facebook Marketplace. This one was hand delivered yesterday. How's that for service :)
More in the Toppers Unite thread.
These things are hard to resist (but I try anyway). There are loads of them around as they were rarely worn and kept safe. You could end up waist deep in them if you decide to go after them all. Looks like a great one, Steve.

Dynafelt - Espresso

View attachment 322954

Dynafelt - Water Repellent
Espresso - Dark almost black felt
5 inch crown as shaped
1 5/8 reddish brown grosgrain ribbon
2 inch overwelt brim

This Dynafelt was the travel mate of the chocolate brown Mallory from this weekend. Dynafelt is marketed as “The Water Repellent Fur Blend” And the last one I had gotten wet the water beaded up nicely. This one is a very dark brown almost black espresso color. With a reddish brown ribbon. The liner is pretty neato. This one’s tag shows it’s content breakdown of 85% wool, 10% Fur and 5% other fibers. Which explains its fairly rough texture. Could make a good rain hat if I don’t move it on.

View attachment 322965 View attachment 322966 View attachment 322967 View attachment 322973 View attachment 322968 View attachment 322969 View attachment 322970 View attachment 322971 View attachment 322972
Really like that dark brown colour.

I recently posted an old Mossant hat sold by Ghavagnac of Mauriat, France. What are the odds of finding another one? Whatever they are: I found one.
Mossant in black sold by Ghavagnac. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent.

mossant chavag_01.jpg
mossant chavag_02.jpg
mossant chavag_03.jpg
mossant chavag_05.jpg
mossant chavag_06.jpg
mossant chavag_10.jpg
mossant chavag_11.jpg
mossant chavag_12.jpg
mossant chavag_13.jpg

mossant chavag_09.jpg

While both are unlined and at first glance appear very similar, there are some substantial differences. This one is made of furfelt, while the other is a woolfelt hat. This one has a raw edge brim and the other one had an overwelt brim. Both seem to date from the same time-period though, this one likely being the later one.
Interesting feature on this one is that it has a corrugated cardboard strip on both front and back of the hat, which I have not seen before on a hat.

I recently posted an old Mossant hat sold by Ghavagnac of Mauriat, France. What are the odds of finding another one? Whatever they are: I found one.
Mossant in black sold by Ghavagnac. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent.

View attachment 323983 View attachment 323984 View attachment 323985 View attachment 323986 View attachment 323987 View attachment 323989 View attachment 323990 View attachment 323991 View attachment 323992
View attachment 323993
While both are unlined and at first glance appear very similar, there are some substantial differences. This one is made of furfelt, while the other is a woolfelt hat. This one has a raw edge brim and the other one had an overwelt brim. Both seem to date from the same time-period though, this one likely being the later one.
Interesting feature on this one is that it has a corrugated cardboard strip on both front and back of the hat, which I have not seen before on a hat.
Beautiful hat Stefan. Love the look of that sweat.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I agree Stefan. I've bought a spate of them recently, but always for one good reason or another; don't we always say that to ourselves :)

QUOTE="steur, post: 2799244, member: 36136"]These things are hard to resist (but I try anyway). There are loads of them around as they were rarely worn and kept safe. You could end up waist deep in them if you decide to go after them all. Looks like a great one, Steve.[/QUOTE]

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Another very nice Mossant find, Stefan. Particularly like the lettering on the sweat.

View attachment 323983 View attachment 323984 View attachment 323985 View attachment 323986 View attachment 323987 View attachment 323989 View attachment 323990 View attachment 323991 View attachment 323992
View attachment 323993

Thanks Joe.
There's already another interesting Top Hat and a very nice looking Borsalino on their way to me via Facebook Marketplace.
I feel a bit like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh being a hat collector in Denmark: I'm the only one :)

Surely you’ve run into Ole around town, Steve?!! Here he is commenting on the rules for Straw hats in Denmark...
Rules for wearing a straw hat

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I miss Ole (TheDane). He was the first I pm'ed on the lounge back when I joined. We had some good pm chats in Danish about old hat shops in Denmark. He was compiling a book about them as I recall. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Surely you’ve run into Ole around town, Steve?!! Here he is commenting on the rules for Straw hats in Denmark...
Rules for wearing a straw hat

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I miss Ole (TheDane). He was the first I pm'ed on the lounge back when I joined. We had some good pm chats in Danish about old hat shops in Denmark. He was compiling a book about them as I recall. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Hi Steve and Charly (sorry, I have a feeling I'm not "smelling" that right(?)), good to see you again. I haven't been around for quite a while now, but it feels great to re-visit my old hood. At some point in 2016 I joined Facebook, and since then my visits here kinda faded out. From time to time I've used the site to seek and freshen up info though, but rarely logged in. On Fb I'm still in contact with Alan, Steve (Mayserwegener), Anthony (Moontheloon), Rusty (RBH), Brad Bowers, Vic (Gunloader55), Eric (Short Balding Guy), John (The Brass Rooster) and other esteemed loungers... but I miss the daily conversations with you guys. Time is a limited ressource, and Fb has stolen a lot of it, I guess. I'm still "around", collecting and wearing felts and straws as ever before.

This morning I woke up to an email-notification, that Steve had sent me a PM... so I just had to get back and touch base with you guys. Hope you're well and your lives are smiling kindly. I promise (not least myself) to get back and log in more frequently in the future. This *is* a great place..! ;)

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Great to hear from you Ole. Don't be a stranger now :)

Hi Steve and Charly (sorry, I have a feeling I'm not "smelling" that right(?)), good to see you again. I haven't been around for quite a while now, but it feels great to re-visit my old hood. At some point in 2016 I joined Facebook, and since then my visits here kinda faded out. From time to time I've used the site to seek and freshen up info though, but rarely logged in. On Fb I'm still in contact with Alan, Steve (Mayserwegener), Anthony (Moontheloon), Rusty (RBH), Brad Bowers, Vic (Gunloader55), Eric (Short Balding Guy), John (The Brass Rooster) and other esteemed loungers... but I miss the daily conversations with you guys. Time is a limited ressource, and Fb has stolen a lot of it, I guess. I'm still "around", collecting and wearing felts and straws as ever before.

This morning I woke up to an email-notification, that Steve had sent me a PM... so I just had to get back and touch base with you guys. Hope you're well and your lives are smiling kindly. I promise (not least myself) to get back and log in more frequently in the future. This *is* a great place..! ;)

Mallory Century Derby/Bowler

EE3C0A9D-BD2D-4D82-B899-7CAF70AAAEEF.jpeg

Mallory Century Derby/Bowler
5 inch crown
1 1/8 grosgrain ribbon
2 1/8 front 1 7/8 side bound brim to curl
140 grams

This may be about the most well spent $3.95 I have made. This Mallory Century Derby I am estimating to be from about 1929 to 1934 based on its logo design and United Hatters of North America tag. If anyone has any more insight let me know. The sellers photos clear showed it a bit worse the wear, being quite dirty and it’s sweat band half way torn out and frayed brim binding... so as expected... that was how it arrived. A very heavy brushing, tape patting, finger nail scratching and serious lint rollering cleaned the felt up nicely. For now I reattached the sweatband using some gorilla tape and it seems to be working nicely. It actually fits like a glove... as long as it’s perfectly straight. Which I imagine is the case with most firm felts like these. I was surprised to see it weighs in at 140 grams... as when it came out of the box... the first thing I noticed is it felt light as air in my hands. So I guess it’s a fit trim 140 grams. :) In comparison my other bowler is a Cavanagh equestrian bowler which tips the scales at about 280g twice the weight of this one. I really love the shape and profile as well as it’s nice tight brim curl. The frayed brim binding to me gives it some character and I’m keen to leave it as is. I believe I’ll be wearing this as a casual grab a beer derby in honor @Hurricane Jack style... if he doesn’t mind. ;)

B22D15D8-2F9E-4270-9449-3AF77EDDE17F.jpeg
B2B34091-FB24-4C6D-B37A-AE15A751CF31.jpeg
ADD99C74-4711-497B-BBD5-9B859F1331ED.jpeg
032A8392-F271-4D7A-BC8A-B133F96313ED.jpeg
A596382A-1481-4B2F-AF21-AD575590D6B0.jpeg
73994514-AE2A-434D-B8AA-37A589CBD8A6.jpeg
C097978D-755A-4573-9C4A-64CD9E7950F9.jpeg
0E4FED76-6931-43B3-93EB-672F2848CB28.jpeg
805B4110-62B8-49A5-9A19-1BCFAE1DE728.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members