Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hattrick

New in Town
Akubra fed IV Deluxe + dobbs 20

My moonstone finally arrived as well as a Dobbs 20.

The Akubra seems a bit large for my head. I'll probably send it back tomorrow and have them send the next smaller size. I promptly put it back in the box the way I found it :p

The dobbs fits like an old glove. I *love* it.

3761173700_c75e559fc3.jpg

3760375465_2493382eb2.jpg

3760378079_4f946354b4.jpg

3761178432_86455a1fc4_b.jpg

3760382003_99100ebb3e_b.jpg

...Now for the Dobbs!

3760392623_f8d966b6f6_b.jpg

3760399113_12c811f7f9_b.jpg

3760402373_738bf6f7c1.jpg

3761197768_2273f1faf1_b.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to don the dobbs

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Royal Stetson

Hattrick: I love that Dobbs Twenty. A vintage one is on my list of hat wants, but they keep going above $70+US!

I picked up this Royal Stetson from ebay. A tad snug, so I'm wearing it now to stretch her out. A brown with black grosgrain, 7 1/4, stingy brim with Royal Stetson stamped on the sweat. Only other stamp is "Eckles" which is the department store, mind you the price tag of $14.95 is still on it. Liner is a nice gold, but from what I can see the emblem is one of the new ones so I'm guessing it's not too old. Has a nice red feather tucked into the bow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3761820348/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3761020237/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3761820274/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3761020135/in/photostream/

Anyone hazard a guess to the date and model name? The seller threw forward Playboy as a potential model but they're not supposed to be lined.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3761020107/in/photostream/

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
hattrick said:
The Akubra seems a bit large for my head. I'll probably send it back tomorrow and have them send the next smaller size.

Not so fast, hattrick! Before sending the Akubra back, check the various Akubra threads here and get some feedback from the Fed owners. My own experience with my Akubra R.M. was that it started out "a bit large" but, after some wearing with a bit of padding, it wound up fitting me perfectly (with padding removed).

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
Not so fast, hattrick! Before sending the Akubra back, check the various Akubra threads here and get some feedback from the Fed owners. My own experience with my Akubra R.M. was that it started out "a bit large" but, after some wearing with a bit of padding, it wound up fitting me perfectly (with padding removed).

Cheers,
JtL
:arated: What JtL said. All my Campdrafts were loose but formed right up after some wear. I'd rather them be slightly larger than slightly smaller!

hattrick

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
:arated: What JtL said. All my Campdrafts were loose but formed right up after some wear. I'd rather them be slightly larger than slightly smaller!

Did yours have a lot of room on the sides? I can about put my index finger in on both sides.

I'll put the padding in and see if it fits then, before I send it back. Wont these shrink a tad over time anyway?

hattrick said:
Did yours have a lot of room on the sides? I can about put my index finger in on both sides.

I'll put the padding in and see if it fits then, before I send it back. Wont these shrink a tad over time anyway?
Yep, I am a Long Oval if not an Extra Long Oval. Mine were loose a little front to back but really gapped side to side. I put the foam padding only on the sides but after wearing a few times, plus wetting to crease, they formed to my shape & size. I am a dead on 24" & always get a 61. I actually have an old 62 that now fits as well a 60 but I have to stretch it often. HTH

High Pockets

Practically Family
Nice hats HatTrick!

Straight out of the box my Fed IV was loose enough to disappoint me also.
However, I decided to shape it anyhow in hopes that it would tighten up just as so many members of the Lounge said theirs did.

After wearing it off and on for a week now, I'm happy to say it fits much better.
It has a tiny bit more to go, but I have no fear it'll be perfect after a few more outings.

I'm assuming my "en-route" Campdraft will be the same.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Here are the photos of the two hats I picked up this weekend in Bakersfield.

The Lee 2 Ounce. Notice the unique top stitching over the entire hat! The felt on this hat is so soft and you can push the brim up against the crown, it stays! It was a well loved hat... The hat has it's share of moth damage, the hole in the crown I'm going to try and fix. There was an unusual olive green padding in the sweat band... and it was stitched in there right through the sweat band and out to the outer ribbon of the hat! I took it out and the hat fits great now... I call it my Forgotten Man hat since it obviously made it through the Depression.

lee2oz.jpg

lee2oz2m.jpg

lee2oz3.jpg

Here's the Knox, I believe after looking at it closer, it's late 30s or early 40s... that's my guess. Doesn't matter, it's a unique color and will clean up nicely!

knox.jpg

knox2.jpg

knox3.jpg

So, what do ya guys think?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The logo in the Lee says "2 Ounce" so, I'm guessing that's the name of the hat but, it is really light weight! I'm wearing it now and it's super light, feels like I'm not even wearing a hat!:eek: :D

When I have some time, I'll get the girl to snap some shots of me wearing them with the correct period outfits after I clean them up a bit!

Stay tuned!

billyspew

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
Here are the photos of the two hats I picked up this weekend in Bakersfield.

The Lee 2 Ounce. Notice the unique top stitching over the entire hat! The felt on this hat is so soft and you can push the brim up against the crown, it stays! It was a well loved hat... The hat has it's share of moth damage, the hole in the crown I'm going to try and fix. There was an unusual olive green padding in the sweat band... and it was stitched in there right through the sweat band and out to the outer ribbon of the hat! I took it out and the hat fits great now... I call it my Forgotten Man hat since it obviously made it through the Depression.

Here's the Knox, I believe after looking at it closer, it's late 30s or early 40s... that's my guess. Doesn't matter, it's a unique color and will clean up nicely!

So, what do ya guys think?

Two great finds. The reverse taper on the Lee is great and must put it at '20's.

The ribbon on the the Knox Twenty is amazing too.

I congratulate you!

billyspew

One Too Many

truffaux

New in Town
My Truffaux Blue Valentine - Toquilla straw

I've been reading the Lounge for years, collecting hats for decades, and feel it is time to load up one of my own little babies. I know you guys & gals have a penchant for the felts, but in Australia they are a hard thing to wear because of the heat.
While I was living in Ecuador, I decided to design my own hats and it all just kind of grew from there .... she is light, soft, handwoven and very beautiful.

http://www.truffaux.com/Data/Products/00000004/P1260978___Zoom.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This weekend IC, Rusty and I along with Dee and Kim had the pleasure of spending Sunday with Major Moore and Rocky at Buckaroo Hatters in Covington, TN. This is the little souvenir of our visit I brought home with me. This one's a Moore Lite and feels almost like no hat at all on my noggin. If it weren't for the sweatband I think it might float away. The brim is 2 1/2. The creased crown is about 4 1/4 in the front and about 4 in the back. The felt is natural and the ribbon is a bronzish brown color. My wife put it on first, but it was too big for her. :eusa_doh:

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

One souvenir is good, but two is better. :D I found a ribbon at Mike's shop that I thought would be fantastic, so Mike is going to make me another hat to display the ribbon on.

hattrick

New in Town
You guys were right

I put the foam in, and the hat fits PERFECTLY.
snug and comfortable.

now i need to figure out how to shape it. I've only tried with cheap straw hats and the like. i'm a noob at this.

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:
This weekend IC, Rusty and I along with Dee and Kim had the pleasure of spending Sunday with Major Moore and Rocky at Buckaroo Hatters in Covington, TN. This is the little souvenir of our visit I brought home with me. This one's a Moore Lite and feels almost like no hat at all on my noggin. If it weren't for the sweatband I think it might float away. The brim is 2 1/2. The creased crown is about 4 1/4 in the front and about 4 in the back. The felt is natural and the ribbon is a bronzish brown color. My wife put it on first, but it was too big for her. :eusa_doh:

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

One souvenir is good, but two is better. :D I found a ribbon at Mike's shop that I thought would be fantastic, so Mike is going to make me another hat to display the ribbon on.
SUPER HAT!
What you did not tell was it had a sweet diamond crease in it but like the Chief... you had to put a teardrop in. :D
Great hat Bob.... you will love that MooreLite!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic