Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I just wanted to respond to this post because it unfairly impugns John's craftsmanship. The hat in the photos is not made by John Penman, He numbers all of his hats and that number on the sweatband does not go with a grey hat. So, what most likely happened is someone used the sweatband and sewed it into some other hat. AKA you got scammed.
Strange you should choose to comment on a 10 month old post.

If someone has used the sweatband in another hat, then they've also used the liner. Why would anyone do that so precisely? You need to provide more evidence if you have any.

Btw, Max isn't someone you can scam. If he were to be, he would know it.

Hello, I just wanted to respond to this post because it unfairly impugns John's craftsmanship. The hat in the photos is not made by John Penman, He numbers all of his hats and that number on the sweatband does not go with a grey hat. So, what most likely happened is someone used the sweatband and sewed it into some other hat. AKA you got scammed.

I’ve seen and handled a couple custom Penman hats but was never impressed enough to consider buying one. I did think about some of his non-custom Everyman hats, but they too got mixed reviews.

If you know much about Max @drmaxtejeda youll know he has one of the biggest collections of fedoras anywhere. His exposure to the very best hats made in the last 100 years makes him a very valuable source for comparisons. I don’t see Max, or his hatter Ignacio who goes through his new acquisitions, being scammed, but stranger things have happened.

Max isn’t the first person to not be impressed with hats from hatters others revere. I know I appreciate unbiased opinions from experts who have a great depth of exposure for comparison. You could also say that Penman was going for authenticity as the screen Indy hats had their dimensional brims cut with scissors and I’m sure they were not perfectly finished or perfectly even.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well....hallelujah!!
There you have it Max @drmaxtejeda!!
The cows done come back to the barn.
I guess that one doesn’t go in the hat safes. Better just put it outside on a fence post.
Hat #.....err color #1193 ain’t gray.
B

Ps: Welcome to the lounge @Holdeng.
Popcorn post #1

Well....hallelujah!!
There you have it Max @drmaxtejeda!!
The cows done come back to the barn.
I guess that one doesn’t go in the hat safes. Better just put it outside on a fence post.
Hat #.....err color #1193 ain’t gray.
B

Ps: Welcome to the lounge @Holdeng.
Popcorn post #1

JubilantImpishBirdofparadise-max-1mb.gif

5563EDE8-7E28-4F54-B265-8772C55AE938.jpeg

Stetson No. 1 Quality
Greenish Grey to Tan/Brown Grey Felt
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim
1 inch mid ribbon with frayed edge bow

Picked up what I am guessing to be late 60s to 70s Stetson No. 1 Quality western. My first No.1 and I knew it was going to need some shaping… but for the price I had to jump on it. It arrived in a box measuring about 9x13x7 so you can imagine this hat with a 6 inch crown and 3 1/2 inch brim was quite crumpled when I removed it from the box. I gave it a good brushing and decided it was definitely going to need some steam. I got to steaming it last night and the crown shaped up real well but the brim was really still quite wonky. Today I decided to get out the steam iron and flatten the brim… It came out fairly crisp. I’d really like to give this a kettle curl.. but there is not enough stiffener in the brim to hold the shape I don’t think… so that may be a future project. This hat does have a real presence to it.

FBB67C62-621B-4112-9664-F53B02476E00.jpeg
406AA906-4B27-4B3C-9F88-79F879530ED7.jpeg
E9AB4CE1-DA76-42F4-A43A-F0458B7AB50B.jpeg
5516C24A-79E4-4D36-8812-A53539E65422.jpeg
4BF83B3F-A1D5-4AEE-9248-00B4E0A77104.jpeg
6A6F723C-2EC8-4D78-8553-DDD78B04A4FF.jpeg
524144BC-21A0-4CBC-8BB4-00FF74AB456E.jpeg
0A5BB3B7-9A09-41BF-918E-150180BBB3B2.jpeg
DAD99DF9-9281-4904-BAAC-8AD580A8A7D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
View attachment 408633

Stetson No. 1 Quality
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim

Picked up what I am guessing to be late 60s to 70s Stetson No. 1 Quality western. My first No.1 and I knew it was going to need some shaping… but for the price I had to jump on it. It arrived in a box measuring about 9x13x7 so you can imagine this hat with a 6 inch crown and 3 1/2 inch brim was quite crumpled when I removed it from the box. I gave it a good brushing and decided it was definitely going to need some steam. I got to steaming it last night and the crown shaped up real well but the brim was really still quite wonky. Today I decided to get out the steam iron and flatten the brim… It came out fairly crisp. I’d really like to give this a kettle curl.. but there is not enough stiffener in the brim to hold the shape I don’t think… so that may be a future project. This hat does have a real presence to it.

View attachment 408635 View attachment 408634 View attachment 408636 View attachment 408637 View attachment 408638 View attachment 408639 View attachment 408640 View attachment 408641 View attachment 408642
That looks awesome, Joe!

Rumad

One Too Many
View attachment 408633

Stetson No. 1 Quality
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim

View attachment 408635 View attachment 408634 View attachment 408636 View attachment 408637 View attachment 408638 View attachment 408639 View attachment 408640 View attachment 408641 View attachment 408642
Very nice

Granville

One of the Regulars
I'm blown away looking at some of these hats, so with great modesty I present my stingy-brimmed Stetson. stetson unbashed1.jpeg
Dark Green, turning black in certain light.
5 1/2 inch open crown
4 inch front crown when bashed
1 3/4 inch ribbon
1 1/2 inch brim
Extremely Lightweight.

StetsonBashedProfile.jpeg
StetsonBrimRED.jpeg
The edge is trimmed with a single red thread.
Satin lining is a copper color. I've been looking at all the Stetson threads here and this looks pretty unique.
And yes, I clipped out the clear plastic tip protector. Check out that logo!
StetsonCopperSatin.jpg
I'm still not sure what to think about this hat. I was surprised how light it is.
What I think I know:
The tip logo is fifties-era, but the size tag sixties. flip the tag and there's a union stamp which was discontinued (union changed name) in 1983.
Stamped Royal Stetson on the sweat (Gothic Font/Gold). I read on some thread that Royal meant fur not wool, albeit not beaver (rabbit!). I've also read that sometimes the 'unbranded' hat is of higher quality than ones with model names.
Or am I whistling past the graveyard?
Under the Stetson logo on the sweat is "John B Stetson Company" so I'm also hoping that means it is pre-seventies and made by the original company, not one of the licensees.
The sweat is so thin (lightweight hat) I could believe it's not leather. But the felt seems right. I brushed it vigorously and bashed it out of shape, but it came back into itself easily and is fairly stiff. Check out the side dents.
StetsonSelfie1.jpg StetsonSelfie2.jpg
So, is this a sixties-era bantam, or a piece of crap from '81?
stetsonCUSefie.jpg

I'm blown away looking at some of these hats, so with great modesty I present my stingy-brimmed Stetson. View attachment 408663
5 1/2 inch open crown
1 3/4 inch ribbon
1 1/2 inch brim
Extremely Lightweight.

View attachment 408665
View attachment 408666
Satin lining is a copper color. I've been looking at all the Stetson threads here and this looks pretty unique.
View attachment 408678
I'm still not sure what to think about this hat. I was surprised how light it is.
What I think I know:
The tip logo is fifties-era, but the size tag sixties. flip the tag and there's a union stamp which was discontinued (union changed name) in 1983.
Stamped Royal Stetson on the sweat (Gothic Font/Gold). I read on some thread that Royal meant fur not wool, albeit not beaver (rabbit!). I've also read that sometimes the 'unbranded' hat is of higher quality than ones with model names.
Under the Stetson logo on the sweat is "John B Stetson Company" so I'm also hoping that means it is pre-seventies and made by the original company, not one of the licensees.
The sweat is so thin (lightweight hat) I could believe it's not leather. But the felt seems right. I brushed it vigorously and bashed it out of shape, but it came back into itself easily and is fairly stiff. Check out the side dents.
View attachment 408670 View attachment 408671
View attachment 408668
Nice hat.. looks great on you. Very cool color you don’t see very often. Looks late 60s early 70s to me.

I'm blown away looking at some of these hats, so with great modesty I present my stingy-brimmed Stetson. View attachment 408663
5 1/2 inch open crown
1 3/4 inch ribbon
1 1/2 inch brim
Extremely Lightweight.

View attachment 408665
View attachment 408666
View attachment 408678
What I think I know:
View attachment 408670 View attachment 408671
View attachment 408668

There are a lot of people better at determining ages of hats, but I’d say mid-1960s through the ‘70s. You wear it well.

Granville

One of the Regulars
"Do you like the hat?"

The color is sweet. Fits good, the wind won't knock it off, but probably too light for winter. For sure I'll be wearing it on St Paddy's Day. Ultimate test will be if it's on my head this spring more than the Warwick I picked up last month:

WarwickSelfieCU.jpg
PS: This makes six hats in less than six months. My wife keeps saying, "you've got enough hats now, right?"

The color is sweet. Fits good, the wind won't knock it off, but probably too light for winter. For sure I'll be wearing it on St Paddy's Day. Ultimate test will be if it's on my head this spring more than the Warwick I picked up last month:

View attachment 408691
PS: This makes six hats in less than six months. My wife keeps saying, "you've got enough hats now, right?"

Stick with us and in a few years you’ll be at six hats a week and won’t think anything of it. ;)

glider

A-List Customer
View attachment 408633

Stetson No. 1 Quality
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim

A Montana bash would work with that hat, nice hat.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I can not resist, despite the good intentions.
The Italian hat market is conspiring against me because it is full of succulent news almost every day
De Luxe Panizza 2.jpg

Panizza De Luxe size 59 cm. 7 3/8 US, an extremely well preserved hat
De Luxe Panizza interno.jpg
It is one of the rare long-fur hats produced in Italy.
De Luxe Panizza 4.jpg
The velour is very soft and slightly different from the master hatters of Central Europe.
What made me decide is the color of the felt, not indicated on the label,
De Luxe Panizza etichetta carta.jpg
but which could be defined as "Honey".
De Luxe Panizza 5.jpg

These are the measurements: the raw brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 14 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm high with a very particular bow
De Luxe Panizza fiocco particolare.jpg
On the other hand we saw, a few years ago with Steve, the parade of bows displayed on the walls of the Panizza museum, as well as the machine tools to produce velour
De Luxe Panizza 6.jpg
In the past I have found other Panizza in long velour fur, but the colors and the shape were too out of my taste, this one, however, is fine ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic