Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Mossant fedora in a heather grey (no name for the colour, because most of the label is missing). Size 58 with the overwelt brim at 6,8cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. This one is lined and dated 24 november 1934. It does has some small nibbles, but not too noticeable on the heather felt.
Not counting that they are not my size, this hat lot was quite the find.
mossant biset gris_01.jpg

mossant biset gris_02.jpg

mossant biset gris_03.jpg

mossant biset gris_04.jpg

mossant biset gris_06.jpg

mossant biset gris_07.jpg

mossant biset gris_08.jpg

mossant biset gris_09.jpg

mossant biset gris_10.jpg

mossant biset gris_11.jpg
That’s a beauty.

Mighty44

One Too Many
The fourth hat from a hat lot of four. All the others were Mossant hats sold by Biser of Paris. This Borsalino was sold by Sools (so it seems). Could be the sweatband is a replacement, because the Borsalino logo is missing.

Borsalino Landasti in the colour Bismuto. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Liner is missing, but it probably did have one. The label is the one with the separate size sticker, so early in the period 1936-1953.

borsalino landasti sools_1.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_2.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_3.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_4.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_5.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_6.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_7.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_8.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_9.jpg
Also gorgeous!

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
Took a gamble on a vintage Cavanaugh, 7 3/8, 2 1/4 brim for a cheap price on Facebook Market with crummy photos. Turns out it is very nice, in excellent condition. Not sure what era it is from, but I love it, especially for the price. I don't always win those gambles.

Attachments

• cavanaugh - 1.jpeg
    cavanaugh - 1.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 50
  • cavanaugh - 2.jpeg
    cavanaugh - 2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • cavanaugh - 3.jpeg
    cavanaugh - 3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
Took a gamble on a vintage Cavanaugh, 7 3/8, 2 1/4 brim for a cheap price on Facebook Market with crummy photos. Turns out it is very nice, in excellent condition. Not sure what era it is from, but I love it, especially for the price. I don't always win those gambles.
You will almost never go wrong with a Cavanagh, Kyle. Exception might be a few 70s or 80s outliers. But even then. My guess on that is late 50s early 60s. Fantastic hat.

Dobbs 7 3/8 homburg with a great deep purple ribbon and matching binding. Size is a 7 3/8 so too small for me. It will be looking for a new home if any one is interested.

View attachment 408996 View attachment 408997 View attachment 408998 View attachment 408999 View attachment 409000 View attachment 409001 View attachment 409004 View attachment 409005 View attachment 409006
How close I was to choosing my black Dobbs Homburg with black cherry trim tonight. The Flagship won out tonight. But damn what a fine hat.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Dobbs 7 3/8 homburg with a great deep purple ribbon and matching binding. Size is a 7 3/8 so too small for me. It will be looking for a new home if any one is interested.

View attachment 408996 View attachment 408997 View attachment 408998 View attachment 408999 View attachment 409000 View attachment 409001 View attachment 409004 View attachment 409005 View attachment 409006
Oooh! That’s seriously tempting.
Etsuko likes it, too, but doesn’t think I need another Homburg. “Need” of course is relative. Is the felt black or navy?

Oooh! That’s seriously tempting.
Etsuko likes it, too, but doesn’t think I need another Homburg. “Need” of course is relative. Is the felt black or navy?

I think it’s black, but I’d need a known black hat to contrast it with to be certain. I’m out of town and picked up the hat on my way. I’m outside of Moro Bay, California and that’s the Pacific Ocean in my he background in some of the photos. If you’re interested, I’ll confirm the color when I get home next week.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I think it’s black, but I’d need a known black hat to contrast it with to be certain. I’m out of town and picked up the hat on my way. I’m outside of Moro Bay, California and that’s the Pacific Ocean in my he background in some of the photos. If you’re interested, I’ll confirm the color when I get home next week.
I’ll send you a PM

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I took a chance on a cheap lot of hats last week and this week they came in. All but one came from a retailer in Paris, called Biset, Boulevard de Rochechouart (best not try to pronounce that if you're not French). Apparently and as we'll see they had the policy to date-stamp their hats (I like them already). Couldn't find anything about this retailer, but I have the idea they didn't make it through the war. The hat lot was four hats all from the same gentleman with the initials M.M. and what I think is the last one came from Sools, not from Biset.
A quartet of the king's musketeers arrives directly from Paris in the Netherlands. Bravissimo Stefan!
Magnificent and dated find. What else do you want? :)
A small note: seeing the Mossant paper labels and the printed dating I have some chance of backdating some of my French collection. Very interesting the data you found to have more details on the period of construction for French hats.

Stefan, sadly, they're not your size, but definitely no failure as you've found and rescued these great hats. Therefore, they are a success.

A pm is on its way
All are great finds! I wish the date stamping was more universal. Not my size either, but an absolute pleasure to see and all worth saving. Way to go, Stefan.
That’s a beauty.
Also gorgeous!
@steur Your four threes sure beat my pair of twelves!

Thank you, gentlemen. Yeah, I'd say these came up trumps and it's probably for the best they are not my size judging by the sideway glances (or should I say glares?) my wife gives this latest stack of hats.:) I'm sure they will find a good home.

Very nice! Cavanagh was a high end manufacturer, so they're more of sure bet if they are in decent condition.

You seem to be on a winning streak with the homburgs, Brent. A beautiful example, even if this one isn't your size.

A quartet of the king's musketeers arrives directly from Paris in the Netherlands. Bravissimo Stefan!
Magnificent and dated find. What else do you want? :)
A small note: seeing the Mossant paper labels and the printed dating I have some chance of backdating some of my French collection. Very interesting the data you found to have more details on the period of construction for French hats.
Grazie, Daniele. This is the reason why I sometimes go for these hat lots. Just the chance of finding something wonderful. And I'll be looking for Biset more often (spoiler: there's just one on the site where I found these right now).

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Well....hallelujah!!
There you have it Max @drmaxtejeda!!
The cows done come back to the barn.
I guess that one doesn’t go in the hat safes. Better just put it outside on a fence post.
Hat #.....err color #1193 ain’t gray.
B

Ps: Welcome to the lounge @Holdeng.
Popcorn post #1
Ha! It will stay in the safe. I like the shape.
The color isn't really gray, though, B. More like brownish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara