Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Chiliarches said:
The first in the upcoming photograph series of my new hats. It's a bit faded (purplish/brownish grey instead of pure grey) and it's got a nice moth divot on the brim...but it's my new favorite.

100_1296.jpg

:eusa_clap Seeing that beautiful Adam on you, I kick myself for not going all the way on an Adam-executive-E-bay auction a few months ago.. That hat was in mint condition and a size 7 1/2.. pretty hard to come by.. dang! I'm a cheapskate! :eusa_doh:
I don't have moth-bitten hats, but as soon as the little buggers start to nibble on mine (which I try to prevent..) I'll do the search for mothbite-repairs. Harpplayer Gene has a great tutorial on repairing moth bites somewhere here on the lounge. Look it up, it looked like an easy enough method..

Dreispitz

One Too Many
munchausen said:
A black Cavanagh thirty five in a 7 1/2. Looks to be in pretty good nick, too and cheap. It's exciting, I get a Cav edge.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190326016740&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

Pics will be posted when it arrives.

On a side note, I was surprised that the brown one was going for so much, but I guess I've read enough on here that black hats tend to be more difficult to match. But the black was a thirty five and I'm not sure the brown was of similar quality (but then again I am still new at this). Thank goodness I like my black suits.

Cheers

You got it for a very good price! It should be similar to the one, I fetched, recently. The colour is onyx, by the way. Should still go well with your black suits, though. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Thanks Dreispitz

Dreispitz said:
You got it for a very good price! It should be similar to the one, I fetched, recently. The colour is onyx, by the way. Should still go well with your black suits, though. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I saw that on the tag too and remember seeing your own onyx on one of the threads. A deep dark blue isn't a bad thing. ;)

I'm looking forward to getting this one in particular, after reading all of yours and Mr Bowers' posts on Cavanagh Club has converted me. What's a guy to do? [huh]

Dundee

A-List Customer
Got this one from Australia. It is a dark, warm, smooth-devil's-food-cake brown with a burgundy ribbon...much darker and smoother looking than the photos suggest. It has similar dimensions to my Whippet, but the felt is much softer - their "Premier" quality, wherever that fit into the company's hierarchy.

That is a very nice looking lid. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ValEag

One of the Regulars
munchausen said:
A black Cavanagh thirty five in a 7 1/2. Looks to be in pretty good nick, too and cheap. It's exciting, I get a Cav edge.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190326016740&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

Pics will be posted when it arrives.

On a side note, I was surprised that the brown one was going for so much, but I guess I've read enough on here that black hats tend to be more difficult to match. But the black was a thirty five and I'm not sure the brown was of similar quality (but then again I am still new at this). Thank goodness I like my black suits.

Cheers

I was watching that brown one also, but was outbid on it after going to bed last night. Look forward to the pics of your black Cav.

AlphaP

New in Town
New here! After getting a job and being forced to consistently use suits I decided to pay a well-deserved homage to my beloved great grandfather and start wearing hats.

The funny thing is that I actually got a quite positive response from most people.

Last week I went to Maidana Sombreros and after almost an hour checking hats I ended up picking a dark green fedora with a 5cm brim. (edit: the camera's flash makes it look far brighter than it is)

DSCN14312.jpg

It originally came with an ugly ribbon that looked more like a silly chord than anything else so I asked the store owner if they could put the "usual" hat ribbon instead. It was a less than 10 minutes operation where I saw how an old lady hand-sewn it with such care and passion I couldn't believe it. It also gave the hat a personal touch.

My eyes got lost in the store, there was just so much around. My next target might be a dark grey funyi-type hat I saw while she was placing the ribbon.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
I like the greens

AlphaP said:
New here! After getting a job and being forced to consistently use suits I decided to pay a well-deserved homage to my beloved great grandfather and start wearing hats.

The funny thing is that I actually got a quite positive response from most people.

Last week I went to Maidana Sombreros and after almost an hour checking hats I ended up picking a dark green fedora with a 5cm brim. (edit: the camera's flash makes it look far brighter than it is)

DSCN14312.jpg

It originally came with an ugly ribbon that looked more like a silly chord than anything else so I asked the store owner if they could put the "usual" hat ribbon instead. It was a less than 10 minutes operation where I saw how an old lady hand-sewn it with such care and passion I couldn't believe it. It also gave the hat a personal touch.

My eyes got lost in the store, there was just so much around. My next target might be a dark grey funyi-type hat I saw while she was placing the ribbon.

Hi Alpha, I like the hat. I've been looking at the greens a little lustily because it's great colour and more versatile than I first thought.

I can also see, you're not a thin ribbon fan. ;)

Tooch

One of the Regulars
About a month ago, I put up a brief post about two hats I picked up on Etsy -- my "town and country duo" of a gray Resistol fedora in seeming mint condition, and a Champ version of the Open Road in comparable good shape.

Well, the Resistol arrived in short order and proved every bit as great a find as I hoped -- it was unshaped and, despite initials embossed on the sweatband, apparently unworn. But I held off on posting photos because I wanted to continue my excessively cute "town and country" theme with the two hats. So I waited for the Champ, and waited and ...

Anyway, I now have Etsy admin working on convincing the vendor that you actually have to ship an item for which you've accepted payment. I hope they succeed. It looks like a nice hat.

But, all by itself, here's the Resistol.

Open crown, with the box.
Hatandbox.jpg

Pristine liner
IMG_0554.jpg

Sweatband stamp identifying the hat as a "Beaver Twenty" and an "Outlook" model
IMG_0556.jpg

And here it is on my head
IMG_0549.jpg

From straight on
IMG_0550.jpg

I'm thinking that the two-inch brim works with my face. But, then again, I may be too accustomed to my own mug.

By the way, that's my first shot at shaping a hat. I hope I pass muster.

RBH

Bartender
Tooch said:
About a month ago, I put up a brief post about two hats I picked up on Etsy -- my "town and country duo" of a gray Resistol fedora in seeming mint condition, and a Champ version of the Open Road in comparable good shape.

Well, the Resistol arrived in short order and proved every bit as great a find as I hoped -- it was unshaped and, despite initials embossed on the sweatband, apparently unworn. But I held off on posting photos because I wanted to continue my excessively cute "town and country" theme with the two hats. So I waited for the Champ, and waited and ...

Anyway, I now have Etsy admin working on convincing the vendor that you actually have to ship an item for which you've accepted payment. I hope they succeed. It looks like a nice hat.

But, all by itself, here's the Resistol.

Open crown, with the box.
Hatandbox.jpg

Pristine liner
IMG_0554.jpg

Sweatband stamp identifying the hat as a "Beaver Twenty" and an "Outlook" model
IMG_0556.jpg

And here it is on my head
IMG_0549.jpg

From straight on
IMG_0550.jpg

I'm thinking that the two-inch brim works with my face. But, then again, I may be too accustomed to my own mug.

By the way, that's my first shot at shaping a hat. I hope I pass muster.
Looks great!

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Looks great!

That's a great bash, Tooch. As someone who has yet to feel the anticipation of bashing their first open crown, I salute you.

Many thanks!

I got my hat-bashing tips right here, on the lounge. Many thanks to all the kind folks who have shared their knowledge with us newbies, and helped us through our first efforts to do justice to a well-made lid.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Wiiiiiiide brimmed Borso

Yesterday, my vintage grey Borsalino arrived. The brim is really huge, coming in at a whopping 2 7/8" (I'm actually a little bit scared of it...;)). Crown is 5 1/2" tall (open).

Borsalino-Grey.jpg

Ýeah. Well. This is how the hat looked like after I did a little test wear last night. We were sitting by the river, having a few drinks, when the skies opened and a huge rain begann. The only thing that saved me from being swept into the running waters was the fact that I clung to my Borso... ;)

wet_borso.jpg

The hat is in absolutely amazing condition, even though it could need a naphtha bath. Come to think of it: I have never cleaned such a light-colored hat (it's actually a wee bit darker than it appears in the photos) with naphtha - any tips?

RBH

Bartender
Mario said:
Yesterday, my vintage grey Borsalino arrived. The brim is really huge, coming in at a whopping 2 7/8" (I'm actually a little bit scared of it...;)). Crown is 5 1/2" tall (open).

Borsalino-Grey.jpg

Ýeah. Well. This is how the hat looked like after I did a little test wear last night. We were sitting by the river, having a few drinks, when the skies opened and a huge rain begann. The only thing that saved me from being swept into the running waters was the fact that I clung to my Borso... ;)

wet_borso.jpg

The hat is in absolutely amazing condition, even though it could need a naphtha bath. Come to think of it: I have never cleaned such a light-colored hat (it's actually a wee bit darker than it appears in the photos) with naphtha - any tips?
Looks nice! I have soaked many light colored hats in naphta, with no ill effects to the hats. But there is always the first time. If it is not to bad just dont let it soak for too long.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Looks nice! I have soaked many light colored hats in naphta, with no ill effects to the hats. But there is always the first time. If it is not to bad just dont let it soak for too long.

Rusty, thank you for the relief! :) I'll do the cleaning in a couple of days. First I need to get another 12 liter can. I'm out of stock.

AlphaP

New in Town
munchausen said:
Hi Alpha, I like the hat. I've been looking at the greens a little lustily because it's great colour and more versatile than I first thought.

I can also see, you're not a thin ribbon fan. ;)

Heh, go for the greens. All my current hats are green and I have to agree they surprisingly fit with a lot of colours.

As for the thin ribbon, you should've seen the one they put... It was some curly leather-thing that look like it would break if you touch it. And it indeed broke when they pulled it out to put the new ribbon. Plus I would've missed the chance to see a hat maker in action. ;) (the old lady was working on a hat before preparing mine)

My aussie-flexi (still doubting to call it 'Akubra') comes with a short ribbon but I think it actually looks quite neat in this one, especially with the little feather and the maker's pin.

Here is a picture of that little beast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou