Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In this period I bought a series of hats for various reasons, this and others for their beauty, knowing full well I would never have worn them, but perhaps I would have made some loungers happy, others because they were in interesting lots and some because they were my size
BarBlu 2.jpg

Barbisio unlined without any manufacturing label, size 57-58 centimeters or 7 1/8 - 7 1/4.
BarBlu 5.jpg
The sweatband is in satin and the felt is another splendid blue from Barbisio
BarBlu interno.jpg

I was lucky this fall I found two in my size in different blue and felts and this one which is different in felt finish and ribbon
BarBlu 6.jpg
The measures of this beauty: the brims are 6cm finished with a double stitched edge, the felt ribbon is 1.5cm and the open crown is 14cm.
BarBlu 8.jpg
I honestly wish it was my size, it isn't, so I hope it finds a new home
BarBlu 3.jpg

I have one very similar in a more wide size, I have to find it to compare :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Ten lashes for mishandling each. Good thing we have steam.
Good old steam, Stefan!

I'm looking forward to properly posting these two and a third Borsalino I received at the same time.

I'm waiting for some sunshine though, so they can be seen in the right light.

In the meantime, here's a teaser of the third Borsa, which, thankfully, was packed properly.

1960s from the paper label I believe.

20221214_185642.jpg 20221212_145929.jpg

For the series Oddities Made Hat: a Barbisio in sculpted felt View attachment 472621
This strange felt hat and its trimming has a love story to tell. I was fascinated by its peculiarity and the seller told me her story
View attachment 472622
It belonged to the grandfather of the person who sold it to me and had been given to him by his father when he came to northern Italy to work. Ours, then a boy, came from Naples and the Barbisio served to cover him from the rain and mists
View attachment 472623
He was forgotten on the train at the Naples station and a girl picked it up and brought him back to the young man. After some time they got married
View attachment 472624
This is the story told to me of this Barbisio Classic size 59 cm. or 7/8 US
View attachment 472625
The felt color is " Muschio - Moss" the finish is "Talpa Impermeabile - Waterproof Taupe"
View attachment 472626
These are the measurements: the brim is 4.8 cm, the fancy ribbon is 4 cm and the fully open crown is 14 cm.
View attachment 472627
This is one of the hats that certainly has its own character, then each of us will decide whether it's beautiful or weird.
Love when we get the story behind the hat. So rare.

Biltmore (when they were still in Canada) Royal in the color steel. I’m not sure how to make sense out of Biltmore’s brim width labeling, but it’s a 2 ¼” brim with an underwelt edge. The size is 8 ¼ US or 66cm! Biggest hat I’ve found yet. I have the same hat in the smaller sizes of 8 (64cm) and 8 ⅛ (65cm)! These need homes so send me a PM if you’re interested.

2E69F0B3-1517-40A4-ABA0-473CA60BA945.jpeg
564A9B79-AA4D-43CC-92B4-711117CE9025.jpeg
0E70539C-32CD-443B-A94F-958A476E8399.jpeg
C93D9D2D-7D88-467C-B59B-3B910461791A.jpeg
52239F08-491E-4039-9808-26547F5ADC48.jpeg
82B4BEEB-492F-4300-B285-13BD994FC333.jpeg
B0AF4014-2FFE-4642-80EB-CB52EE3BB51C.jpeg
09AB31D3-8E20-4019-9DFB-9482FA5BEFDD.jpeg
AE12A785-742D-494D-9CA6-2746B85B9190.jpeg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Love when we get the story behind the hat. So rare.
Joe thanks.
The lady who sold it to me asked me to keep it with care or to sell it to people who could appreciate it. To my question about the reasons for the request she told me the story a little more complex than I have summarized. To be precise, the Barbisio was the first adult gift the grandfather ever received and also the reason for his love for the girl who found it on the train and then gave birth to the family from which the lady comes. Remembrance and belonging

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A hat from the same batch as yesterday's blue Barbisio bought for its elegance
Foresto 2a.jpg

It is a hat made for Foresto, a hat shop in Turin that has always had valuable pieces, as I can see from the ones I have collected over the years. Size is 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US
Foresto 1.jpg
The hatter is Tesi - Firenze, known above all for straw and panama hats of which it is a major producer
Foresto 4.jpg
Every now and then I come across some felt hats and they are often of excellent quality
Foresto Interno.jpg
This for example, a true mid-season hat, unlined and with a fabric sweatband
Foresto 5.jpg
The felt is light and has a wonderful color and a foulard like ribbon. Perfect for the Italian spring.
The measures of this beauty: the brims, finished with an invisible seam on the edge are 6.5 cm, the foulard is 4 cm and the crown fully open is 14 cm.
Foresto 3a.jpg
It is a fairly recent and high-end hat.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
A new Oreo in town—for a visit.
A mint 50s Two Tone with the tan and brown woolen felt sandwiched together in the brim. Guessing this was done during the felting process.
Unfortunately, it’s a size 7 1/8. Grrrr!
Really wish this one was my size, but still a cool hat to have in any collection.
I haven’t done anything to this fedora as it arrived clean with a perfect shape. The crown has zero taper, on every side.
Anyone interested in a hat swap, of same condition, equal appeal and close to its monetary value let me know.
Now the brim is a bit narrow, at 2 1/4” , but its rare and desirable qualities make up for it, imho.
I like wider brims, too, but would wear this hat—allot—if it fit.
7 1/8 measurements: 7 7/8” X 6 1/4

1345D1A4-559D-425A-ABA7-9123C59E8FE4.jpeg
3C5AA628-2406-4E9D-A60B-97D6A3106F44.jpeg

Last edited:

PanosChris

Practically Family
A mint 50s Two Tone with the tan and brown woolen felt sandwiched together in the brim. Guessing this was done during the felting process.
Really wish this one was my size, but still a cool hat to have in any collection.
I haven’t done anything to this fedora as it arrived clean with a perfect shape. The crown has zero taper, on every side.
Anyone interested in a hat swap, of same condition, equal appeal and close to its monetary value let me know.
Now the brim is a bit narrow, at 2 1/4” , but its rare and desirable qualities make up for it, imho.

View attachment 473026 View attachment 473027
Very nice!!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That is one nice hat and very different from "the norm". Great pickup on that one, Randall.

I can only recall a couple of these showing up here. It’s a great hat!

Very stylish

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
From another messy and poorly described lot comes this Cervo
Tyrol Cervo 2.jpg
It has the color and finish of a Tyrolean hat with the braided cord and a shape not exactly in the tradition
Tyrol Cervo 1.jpg
Putting it back in order I noticed that the felt band at the base of the crown has a very slight darker color, as if it had been protected by a ribbon higher than the cord and the brims have a double stitching that adorns them very difficult to find in that type of hats. Anew shape give more caracter to the Cervo :)
Tyrol a Cervo 2.jpg

Only the rotten green color of the felt can remind us of Tyrolean hats
Tyrol a Cervo 4.jpg
It otherwise looks like a hat that has been stripped and redressed for a new use.
Cervo size 59 cm, unlined with fabric sweatband and a magnificent felt to the touch, certainly the best of the lot
Tyrol Cervo interno.jpg
No paper label gives us information on color and type
Tyrol a Cervo 3a.jpg
The lot is part of a series of Cappellificio Cervo productions that ended up on the market quickly at the farewell days of its life

Thanks, Chris and Randy and Brent!
It is a beaut!!! I should keep it in my collection, just because, but it’s so great it needs to be worn…lots.
It has the perfect fedora shape, to me.
Is the felt all wool, or some wool/fur blend?
Jim prolly knows.

I think that's the only other one I've seen other than mine. Since they're both Royal Deluxe, I don't believe any wool is involved.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I think that's the only other one I've seen other than mine. Since they're both Royal Deluxe, I don't believe any wool is involved.
Thanks for the info, Jim.
I had assumed there might be wool in the blend because of its coarse look and scratchy feel. It’s not of the look and feel of melusines I’ve owned. What makes this one like it is? Heavier, thicker hair from the backs of some animal?
It’s definitely a cool hat, whatever it is. Someone with the right sized brain bucket would be proud to own it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

I'm drawn to this one again, Randall. It's a real beauty.

Surely it could stretch a bit to fit your 7 and a quarter nogging.

Thanks for the info, Jim.
I had assumed there might be wool in the blend because of its coarse look and scratchy feel. It’s not of the look and feel of melusines I’ve owned. What makes this one like it is? Heavier, thicker hair from the backs of some animal?
It’s definitely a cool hat, whatever it is. Someone with the right sized brain bucket would be proud to own it.

I just always figured the coarse look came with the heathering. Mine's not the softest hat I have, but I don’t think of it as coarse, either.

I don't think it's supposed to be a melusine or some such, but frankly, I don't know. At least I can tell mine it's not alone in the world, LOL.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I'm drawn to this one again, Randall. It's a real beauty.

Surely it could stretch a bit to fit your 7 and a quarter nogging.
The loose felt would probably take the stretch without brim width loss, but this hat is too rare and sweet to fool around with.
I have had it for quite a while, and hoped I could use it for trade on an almost as special hat.

Good old steam, Stefan!

I'm looking forward to properly posting these two and a third Borsalino I received at the same time.

I'm waiting for some sunshine though, so they can be seen in the right light.

In the meantime, here's a teaser of the third Borsa, which, thankfully, was packed properly.

1960s from the paper label I believe.

View attachment 472638 View attachment 472639
Well, colour me jealous, Steve. Morello is a colour that has eluded me so far. Such a great colour, but it will happen someday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot