Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Custom from Northwest:

IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2660.jpeg

More in the Northwest thread.

Royal Stetson DeLuxe thin ribbon similar to the Stratoliner but not marked as such. 2 ¾” bound edge brim and 5 ½” crown. There is some significant sun bleaching on the top portion of the crown. I’d say late 1940s to early 1950s.

IMG_2747.jpeg
IMG_2746.jpeg
IMG_2745.jpeg
IMG_2748.jpeg
IMG_2743.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2756.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg

This was the hat the seller on eBay listed as a Flagship. Aside from the sun bleaching, the hat is fantastic. The felt is thin and very shapable.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Royal Stetson DeLuxe thin ribbon similar to the Stratoliner but not marked as such. 2 ¾” bound edge brim and 5 ½” crown. There is some significant sun bleaching on the top portion of the crown. I’d say late 1940s to early 1950s.

View attachment 539287 View attachment 539288 View attachment 539289 View attachment 539290 View attachment 539291 View attachment 539292 View attachment 539293 View attachment 539294 View attachment 539295 View attachment 539296

This was the hat the seller on eBay listed as a Flagship. Aside from the sun bleaching, the hat is fantastic. The felt is thin and very shapable.
Is this hat blue? It is an interesting bleaching effect - very similar to what’s happening with my navy blue Northwest hat. I wonder if the blue dye is just particularly prone to bleaching?

All the indigo clothing in north Thailand (where indigo is used often) bleaches very quickly and I always thought this was due to poor quality dying processes/materials. Now I wonder if it’s just inevitable.

I saw another vintage blue hat on eBay recently with what looks like similar bleaching. Hard to tell, it could just be the light, but (again) it reminds me of my Northwest.

IMG_0160.png

IMG_0161.png

Is this hat blue? It is an interesting bleaching effect - very similar to what’s happening with my navy blue Northwest hat. I wonder if the blue dye is just particularly prone to bleaching?

All the indigo clothing in north Thailand (where indigo is used often) bleaches very quickly and I always thought this was due to poor quality dying processes/materials. Now I wonder if it’s just inevitable.

I saw another vintage blue hat on eBay recently with what looks like similar bleaching. Hard to tell, it could just be the light, but (again) it reminds me of my Northwest.

View attachment 539431
View attachment 539433

From some of my photos I can see why you would think the felt was blue. Felt colors can be very hard to accurately capture. The felt is definitely tan and not blue. I’d love to know this hat’s history to understand how the bleaching took place.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
From some of my photos I can see why you would think the felt was blue. Felt colors can be very hard to accurately capture. The felt is definitely tan and not blue. I’d love to know this hat’s history to understand how the bleaching took place.
Oh, well that throws sand in the face of my blue dye theory. I still can't say why my Northwester is bleaching. It's obviously nothing Mike did since it came from the factory dyed. But I am hesitant now to go for any more blue hats. I've seen some nice navies coming out of the Gannon shop as well.

Excellent lids, by the way. You come up with the best finds.

Oh, well that throws sand in the face of my blue dye theory. I still can't say why my Northwester is bleaching. It's obviously nothing Mike did since it came from the factory dyed. But I am hesitant now to go for any more blue hats. I've seen some nice navies coming out of the Gannon shop as well.

I have several blue hats, but I don’t wear any of them enough to opine on how the dye holds up with use and exposure. I can’t say I’ve noticed bleaching on my vintage blue hats, but then I don’t know their stories so all I can do is guess.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
My Optimo blue hats have kept their color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland