Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Sometimes it is hard to get excited about the next old hat we find. But, sometimes those happy accidents occur that make it all worthwhile. Several weeks ago, and for no other reason than it was Oktoberfest season, if you will, I did a quick search on Tyrolian hats. Assuming I would get thousands of pages of hits for bright green wool costume hats, I was surprised when the very first listing was what appeared to be a very nice, fedora-styled hat (with all the typical Bavarian accoutrements - a rope band, various pins, and the distinctive brush or gamsbart). When I clicked the link, I was then shocked to find this was a Mac Lachlan hat. Wow is right! Once the initial shock wore off, I made an offer and the seller accepted. While a specialty hat, no doubt, I am very pleased with this find.

These photos are of the hat straight out of the box (with a couple from the seller). The hat needs a good cleaning, but I wanted to get this one posted as soon as I could.

Crown, 5 1/4 open.
Brim, 2 1/4 overwelt. The twin cord, rope band makes it look more narrow than it actually is. Based on the sellers pictures, I was convinced that it would be a 2 inch brim.

The felt is rough in comparison to the smooth finish most of us are accustomed to with vintage hats. It is, however, good quality and consistent with the Tyrolian style hat, in my opinion. This hat has much more taper than usually suits me, but with the higher crown and shallow crease, I have no issues with the hat riding the top of my head. The color is sage (or moss) - middle green with grey/brown undertones. Max has/had a Mac Lachlan fedora that appears similar in color. The hat has no construction issues or damage I can find.

Dating: The hat has a UHC & MWIU label (post 1934) and the Tom Bass Men's Shop ceased operations in 1983. If anyone can narrow that window based on the logo, size tag, or sweat bow, please let me know.

Enjoy. I know I will!

View attachment 552965 View attachment 552966 View attachment 552967 View attachment 552968 View attachment 552969 View attachment 552970 View attachment 552971 View attachment 552972
View attachment 552974
Max's green Mac Lacklan
View attachment 552973
Great looking tyrolean, Randy. Always good to find a Mac Lachlan.

IMG_20231017_155216521_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

The Mallory Ten Premiere - Light Tan
Pre Stetson Takeover Mallory
5 1/2 Crown Open (about 4 1/2 as shaped)
1 3/4 Brown Grosgrain Ribbon
2 3/4 brim with offset binding (3/16 top - 9/16 bottom)

The first of three hats that arrived together and while the other two may be 15s this Ten might be the real gem of the bunch. A pre 1946 Stetson takeover Mallory in a beautiful caramel colored felt finished in a velvety peach texture. The 1 3/4 brown grosgrain ribbon does have some age related fading… but it really adds to the character of the hat. The brim is a bit wider at 2 3/4 and is bound with an offset binding at 9/16 under and 3/16 over. This really lends the hat to brim shape I gave it with the front broke down but the edge curled up. Allows it to show off the wide binding without being too far turned up in the front. Another little tag line I haven’t seen before to go along with Mallory’s Youthful Smartness …. Hats with an American Tradition. This hat was originally sold at The May Company in Cleveland. It fits like a glove… man what a hat!

IMG_20231017_155243392_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231017_155226781_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231017_155301701_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231017_155324946_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231017_155359109_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231017_155413727_Original.jpeg
IMG_4904.jpeg
IMG_4905.jpeg
IMG_4906.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes it is hard to get excited about the next old hat we find. But, sometimes those happy accidents occur that make it all worthwhile. Several weeks ago, and for no other reason than it was Oktoberfest season, if you will, I did a quick search on Tyrolian hats. Assuming I would get thousands of pages of hits for bright green wool costume hats, I was surprised when the very first listing was what appeared to be a very nice, fedora-styled hat (with all the typical Bavarian accoutrements - a rope band, various pins, and the distinctive brush or gamsbart). When I clicked the link, I was then shocked to find this was a Mac Lachlan hat. Wow is right! Once the initial shock wore off, I made an offer and the seller accepted. While a specialty hat, no doubt, I am very pleased with this find.

These photos are of the hat straight out of the box (with a couple from the seller). The hat needs a good cleaning, but I wanted to get this one posted as soon as I could.

Crown, 5 1/4 open.
Brim, 2 1/4 overwelt. The twin cord, rope band makes it look more narrow than it actually is. Based on the sellers pictures, I was convinced that it would be a 2 inch brim.

The felt is rough in comparison to the smooth finish most of us are accustomed to with vintage hats. It is, however, good quality and consistent with the Tyrolian style hat, in my opinion. This hat has much more taper than usually suits me, but with the higher crown and shallow crease, I have no issues with the hat riding the top of my head. The color is sage (or moss) - middle green with grey/brown undertones. Max has/had a Mac Lachlan fedora that appears similar in color. The hat has no construction issues or damage I can find.

Dating: The hat has a UHC & MWIU label (post 1934) and the Tom Bass Men's Shop ceased operations in 1983. If anyone can narrow that window based on the logo, size tag, or sweat bow, please let me know.

Enjoy. I know I will!

View attachment 552965 View attachment 552966 View attachment 552967 View attachment 552968 View attachment 552969 View attachment 552970 View attachment 552971 View attachment 552972
View attachment 552974
Max's green Mac Lacklan
Not to everyone's taste, Randy, but what a unique and interesting find. The Mac Lachan logo certainly puts this one on another level.

Nice catch!

OH. MY. MY!!! This gal is the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen!!! The color of the felt and trim ribbon is heavenly!! Even the sun beam this morning agrees!!
By a lot, this is my favorite hat! Haven’t done anything to it except dry hand crease.
I may end up evening out the pinches with a little bit of steam, but the diamond bash is perfect!!! $220 for hat and box very, very well spent!! Hats like these are what keep us all in this game!
2 3/4” brim. Was listed as 2 5/8. I had figured and hoped it wider when I seen the eBay pics.
If I were to spec out a custom from a famous boutique hatter I would hope for it to look just like this old Mallory!
The felt color is, actually this one time, best represented by the hat sitting on the box.
View attachment 552688 View attachment 552690 View attachment 552689 View attachment 552691

Wow, that’s a looker, Randall! Fantastic…everything! It certainly found the right home.

View attachment 552975

The Mallory Ten Premiere - Light Tan
Pre Stetson Takeover Mallory
5 1/2 Crown Open (about 4 1/2 as shaped)
1 3/4 Brown Grosgrain Ribbon
2 3/4 brim with offset binding (3/16 top - 9/16 bottom)

The first of three hats that arrived together and while the other two may be 15s this Ten might be the real gem of the bunch. A pre 1946 Stetson takeover Mallory in a beautiful caramel colored felt finished in a velvety peach texture. The 1 3/4 brown grosgrain ribbon does have some age related fading… but it really adds to the character of the hat. The brim is a bit wider at 2 3/4 and is bound with an offset binding at 9/16 under and 3/16 over. This really lends the hat to brim shape I gave it with the front broke down but the edge curled up. Allows it to show off the wide binding without being too far turned up in the front. Another little tag line I haven’t seen before to go along with Mallory’s Youthful Smartness …. Hats with an American Tradition. This hat was originally sold at The May Company in Cleveland. It fits like a glove… man what a hat!

View attachment 552976 View attachment 552977 View attachment 552978 View attachment 552979 View attachment 552980 View attachment 552981 View attachment 552982 View attachment 552983 View attachment 552984

Gorgeous! These old Mallory’s are some of my favorite hats. They always seem to punch way above their weight.

Crown, 5 1/4 open.

Enjoy. I know I will!

View attachment 552974
Max's green Mac Lacklan
View attachment 552973

Very nice. Now you just need a couple St. Pauli girls to keep you hydrated. ;)

hambone71

Practically Family
Lol - and honestly, a much cheaper one. But each time, I take a gamble that it will be far too small.
Kinda how it started with me…. When I first started I was between 7 and 7 1/8. Then after I dropped 65 to 70lbs I noticed my 7 1/8 hats which were mostly 60s hats with shorter tapered crowns were loose enough that they would wobble back and fourth when I turned my head.… so I was sticking with my 7s. At some point I decided to take a chance on a 6 7/8 and had good luck…. Occasionally even have gotten lucky with a 6 3/4. But I usually only try that for something special. Oddly after packing a lot of the weight back on…. It didnt cost me wearing the smaller ones but on occasion a 7 1/4 will fit. Now I’m back to the midway point… So who knows.. I suspect with the older hats with bigger softer crowns can sit a bit lower on my head where it widens out just a bit. I guess my skull has more of a tapered block :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis