Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have 603 hats, Brent. I want hats that I don't have examples of.

A few hundred dollars and this one could be yours, Max :)
20231014_164252.jpg 20231014_164321.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 556013

Champ Imperial - Purple Grey
5 1/2 Crown Open - About 4 5/8 as shaped
3/4 Purple Grosgrain Mid-ribbon
2 3/4 Brim with 1/8 matching grosgrain binding
Reedless Sweat

This is exactly the kind of hat I love to take a chance on. Extremely unusual purple felt Champ Imperial with an ever so slight shag finish. The hat has almost identical specs and proportions to my Champ Featherweight hats. My gut says this one slightly older than those… but likely still a 40s hat. There is some white marks on the inside tip of the crown. I am unable to ascertain whether it is part of a tip imprint of this currently liner free hat… or if it at one point did have a liner. The Champ featherweight hats were liner free other than a stitched in oilskin tip protector. It is possible this a forerunner with a tip logo. It arrived extremely dirty and out of shape but after a level 10 brushing/scrubbing and a good steam it cleaned and shaped up very well. There is still some slight felt discoloration that is not real noticeable and two areas of moth tracks on the brim. More clean up/repair work could diminish both. At 6 3/4 it is a bit smaller in size.. but with its unreeded sweat it kinda squeezed onto my head well and has loosened up quickly. I’m playing with a few different brim looks. I think for me hats with a 2 3/4 brim look best with the front broke down… along with a slight up curl at the edge.

View attachment 556014 View attachment 556015 View attachment 556016 View attachment 556017 View attachment 556018 View attachment 556019 View attachment 556020 View attachment 556021 View attachment 556022
Wow, Joe! I love it. Great find!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 556013

Champ Imperial - Purple Grey
5 1/2 Crown Open - About 4 5/8 as shaped
3/4 Purple Grosgrain Mid-ribbon
2 3/4 Brim with 1/8 matching grosgrain binding
Reedless Sweat

This is exactly the kind of hat I love to take a chance on. Extremely unusual purple felt Champ Imperial with an ever so slight shag finish. The hat has almost identical specs and proportions to my Champ Featherweight hats. My gut says this one slightly older than those… but likely still a 40s hat. There is some white marks on the inside tip of the crown. I am unable to ascertain whether it is part of a tip imprint of this currently liner free hat… or if it at one point did have a liner. The Champ featherweight hats were liner free other than a stitched in oilskin tip protector. It is possible this a forerunner with a tip logo. It arrived extremely dirty and out of shape but after a level 10 brushing/scrubbing and a good steam it cleaned and shaped up very well. There is still some slight felt discoloration that is not real noticeable and two areas of moth tracks on the brim. More clean up/repair work could diminish both. At 6 3/4 it is a bit smaller in size.. but with its unreeded sweat it kinda squeezed onto my head well and has loosened up quickly. I’m playing with a few different brim looks. I think for me hats with a 2 3/4 brim look best with the front broke down… along with a slight up curl at the edge.

View attachment 556014 View attachment 556015 View attachment 556016 View attachment 556017 View attachment 556018 View attachment 556019 View attachment 556020 View attachment 556021 View attachment 556022
Very nice, Joe. Great clean-up and a striking colour.

Can I ask the hivemind what are your procedures when receiving a new used hat ….. do you give a thorough clean etc ..??

Depends on the hat. A quick wipe of the sweatband with a baby wipe to de-cootie it is de rigeur. Some hats need copious steaming and brushing to rid them of 60-80 years of grime. Some require a dip in a gas bath due to staining, etc.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Purchased the Akubra sombrero today, it is certainly a big hat with loads of character. So glad l bought it.

My Bates homburg has a huge crown, but compared to this Akubra sombrero it is tiny.
Big daddy hat 3.jpg
Big daddy hat 1.jpg

My favourite hat
Big daddy hat 2.jpg

Some shots of the sombrero in action. The curl of the brim, the crown, the character...it is all perfect. I wore the homburg today with this overcoat, but l was surprised to see that the sombrero works perfectly well with it too.

Akubra sombrero 1.gif
Akubra sombrero 4.gif
Akubra sombrero 2.gif

It was the only one left in my size so l thought l better buy it before l lose my chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters