Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Congrats to all on your new hats, and Merry Christmas!

------------

The other day, I found these caps in a thrift store. I bought these and several wooden coat hangers and the grand total was $4.28 :D .

This first one's a Dobbs but not terribly old. My first panel cap.
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

These others (no branding visible) all have the ear flap bit neatly folded within. I won't be using that feature here in Florida but as caps go, I like them. :)
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ephraim Tutt said:
This Borsalino arrived today rather snuggly boxed:

SDC10421.jpg

It's a Borsalino 'Marca Renna' (whatever that is) and the colour was described by the seller as "a deep, dark, brownish, grayish green". Hmmm....well the photo above is close to the actual colour which I'd call a grey/green.

All I know is it needs some serious blocking as I don't think it's current bash suits me.

[/IMG]
SDC10431.jpg

The color is very good on you I think. I'm sure a little steam (ok...a bit more than that maybe) will make it as good as new! ;) Good Luck!

Mr. Paladin

billysmom said:
This appears to be a hybrid: Western-style felt and dimensions but creased like a fedora. American is in Houston and has made western hats for a long time. This one should wear like iron! I should post it on the Yard Hats thread ....

DSCF1809.jpg
[/CENTER]

Sue

That is a good looking hat, maam. I love the tall crown on it. Its much too nice to be a yard hat! Also, no worries about any attention from the "stingy" po-lice! :D

Mr. Paladin

boushi_mania said:
So, as a follow up to this post, I've gone ahead and modified the crown into a relaxed diamond with a tighter pinch in front. It wasn't too hard to do, and now the felt is much more pliable on top—apart from the spots that formed the ridges of the C-crown, which are still a bit reluctant to let go of their former shape entirely. The crown doesn't seem to have tapered any, though the different bash might also account for things.

From the top:
IMG_3160.jpg

The only thing now is that the hat still doesn't seem to be shrinking in—if anything, it feels like it's getting looser! Is it the different bash? Am I doing something wrong? I really need to track down someplace in Japan that sells those foam insert things...

I use felt strips or thin craft leather strips to pad my sweats when a hat needs a bit of help fitting. It will shrink as you wear it and you can remove them. I like your crease on that one. The diamond is nice. It shows the same amount of taper as my modern Stetson Dexter, with that crease and tight pinch.

Mr. Paladin

Mario said:
This arrived in the mail today: Stetson Sovereign with Mode Edge.

Has a few minor moth nibbles and could use a naptha bath, but I'll have to replenish my stocks first, so I went with a thourough brushing for now. The felt is pretty thick yet soft and supple; color is a light gray.

Crown: 4" 3/4 (creased)
Brim: 2" 1/2
Ribbon: 1" 1/2

I tried a couple of creases before I settled on my pointy diamond again (I don't think that I need to post this one in the Diamond Authority thread... :rolleyes:). I first wanted to give it a center dent and side pinches (just as on Torp's Sovereign) but somehow it did not feel good on my noggin.

Nice work, Mario. In the profile, it has a great similarity to Goose's "tugboat effect" on his FED IVs.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Early christmas in the Woodhouse :)

First to RLK, there must be a specific form of dyslexia that makes people read 6 7/8 as 7 1/4 because I got one of those the other day as well.
These four hats arrived today along with the hat stands in the pic, yesterday was the new atv so I spent all day putting that together :eek:fftopic: , and I will work on them and photograph and post properly in the new year. In the meantime...
100_0226.jpg

Clockwise from upper-left: a wonderful taupe Borsalino XXXXX originally made for Salvatore Balbi 260 via Chiaia, Napoli. Next a Dobbs imported fur-felt velour. 3rd offering is a NOS Stetson Silverbelly 3X Texan (it says on the box)
and last a Marshall Fields that has a surprisingly nice feel to it and seems quite workable.
I am going to be working on hats through most of Jan. I should think and it will be much warmer doing that than most things I can think of around here at this time of year :)

Season's Greetings,

Woody

RBH

Bartender
Scott Wood said:
First to RLK, there must be a specific form of dyslexia that makes people read 6 7/8 as 7 1/4 because I got one of those the other day as well.
These four hats arrived today along with the hat stands in the pic, yesterday was the new atv so I spent all day putting that together :eek:fftopic: , and I will work on them and photograph and post properly in the new year. In the meantime...
100_0226.jpg

Clockwise from upper-left: a wonderful taupe Borsalino XXXXX originally made for Salvatore Balbi 260 via Chiaia, Napoli. Next a Dobbs imported fur-felt velour. 3rd offering is a NOS Stetson Silverbelly 3X Texan (it says on the box)
and last a Marshall Fields that has a surprisingly nice feel to it and seems quite workable.
I am going to be working on hats through most of Jan. I should think and it will be much warmer doing that than most things I can think of around here at this time of year :)

Season's Greetings,

Woody
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
2-1/4" bound edge brim, crown is 4-3/8 at center pinch. The felt is quite nice. Unfortunately IT HAS A SIZE LABEL READING 6-7/8 under the sweat, rather than "Nice, clean vintage Malrov fur felt hat. Size 7 1/4, used." as stated.
NOW IN THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR PROMPT SALE if possible rather than a return.http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=927404#post927404

That's a shame. That ribbon is way cool.

Cheers,
JtL

billysmom

One Too Many
Borsalino Bonanza!

The postman staggered from his truck today with a pile of boxes for me! (Three, to be precise.) All Borsalinos fished from the bay.

Borsalino-Bonanza.jpg

Two are ladies' velour: one floppy with its own hat pin and the other a beret. The third is a bowler.

DSCF1817.jpg

DSCF1812.jpg

DSCF1818.jpg

More to come on the Borsalino Brotherhood.

Sue

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
The postman staggered from his truck today...

Nice haul, Sue! :eusa_clap

Now, tell me, does your mailman bust your chops about "another hat, huh?...".

Back when I was buying from the Bay our guy used to tease me a little in a good natured way, of course. But I joked back that if he keeps it up I'll start collecting anvils! :D

Marc-Ange Draco

New in Town
Got a knock on the door this morning...

hatnm.jpg

fifteen.jpg

antwerp.jpg

Good fit but i am not overly keen on the feather.

I know nothing about hats but at roughly £11 (was £14 shipped, postage cost the seller about 3 quid) it feels like a bargain :)

billysmom

One Too Many
Marc-Ange Draco said:
Got a knock on the door this morning...

Good fit but i am not overly keen on the feather.

I know nothing about hats but at roughly £11 (was £14 shipped, postage cost the seller about 3 quid) it feels like a bargain :)

Nice hat and a very versatile color! The fix for the feather is to simply remove it.

Sue

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Montana Peak Straw

4210878201_6201b76d94_b.jpg

7" Peak, about 5" brim if it were straight. Lots of metal grommets for ventilation. Sweatband is rather dry but looks really old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats