Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carldelo

One Too Many
boushi_mania said:
After I took the pictures, I noticed that the "STETSON" label by the bow, which I thought was sewn on, was actually just stuck onto the ribbon with tacky adhesive. I peeled it off and the hat is better for it.

The only thing now is that the hat still doesn't seem to be shrinking in—if anything, it feels like it's getting looser! Is it the different bash? Am I doing something wrong? I really need to track down someplace in Japan that sells those foam insert things...

Hi Boushi - if this was what you ordered in place of the Ashland, I think you made a good choice, it looks good on you. I love the gray, not black, ribbon and the brim-binding. I was considering the Whippet in tawny, and this makes me want to go try one on. Nice to hear it rebashes easily.

Good to hear the tacky name tag comes right off, that's a must. Re: sizing strips, try to find plain, un-dyed felt squares at a craft type store (if those exist over there). Cut strips a little narrower than the sweat and they should work well, their fuzziness helps hold them in place, no dye means they won't seep color if they get soaked.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Sovereign

This arrived in the mail today: Stetson Sovereign with Mode Edge.

Has a few minor moth nibbles and could use a naptha bath, but I'll have to replenish my stocks first, so I went with a thourough brushing for now. The felt is pretty thick yet soft and supple; color is a light gray.

Crown: 4" 3/4 (creased)
Brim: 2" 1/2
Ribbon: 1" 1/2

I tried a couple of creases before I settled on my pointy diamond again (I don't think that I need to post this one in the Diamond Authority thread... :rolleyes:). I first wanted to give it a center dent and side pinches (just as on Torp's Sovereign) but somehow it did not feel good on my noggin.

Stetson-Sovereign.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Mario said:
This arrived in the mail today: Stetson Sovereign with Mode Edge.

Has a few minor moth nibbles and could use a naptha bath, but I'll have to replenish my stocks first, so I went with a thourough brushing for now. The felt is pretty thick, yet soft and supple, color is a light gray.

Crown: 4" 3/4 (creased)
Brim: 2" 1/2
Ribbon: 1" 1/2

I tried a couple of creases before I settled on my diamond again. :rolleyes: I first wanted to give it a center dent and side pinches (just as on Torp's Sovereign) but somehow I did not feel good on my noggin.

Stetson-Sovereign.jpg

Lovely, Mario! That felt is pretty special. The color will work well with your wardrobe.

Sue

Scott Wood

Practically Family
billysmom said:
This appears to be a hybrid: Western-style felt and dimensions but creased like a fedora. American is in Houston and has made western hats for a long time. This one should wear like iron! I should post it on the Yard Hats thread ....

DSCF1810.jpg

3" brim, 6" uncreased crown, 1 11/16" ribbon, plenty of stiffener! Substantial felt.

DSCF1805.jpg

DSCF1806.jpg

DSCF1808.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

DSCF1809.jpg

Sue
Very unique and it looks GREAT on you Sue:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Woody

CRH

Call Me a Cab
The Rose Queen get's a new hat.

The cat's collar on top of the star is in memory of our beloved and recently deceased Reno. May he meow in peace.

hpim2033q.jpg

She promised me no ornaments on the tree this year but what's the holler?.. it's only a dollar. :D

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
ScottF said:
That is a gorgeous hat. Hope this isn't bad form, but I don't like seeing ribbons tacked on through the middle like that.

edited to add: not through the middle exactly, but not at the bottom.

that's the first thing I couldn't help but notice.. otherwise it's a wonderful hat me thinks! :eusa_clap

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Now THAT's a BASH!

This Borsalino arrived today rather snuggly boxed:

SDC10421.jpg

It's a Borsalino 'Marca Renna' (whatever that is) and the colour was described by the seller as "a deep, dark, brownish, grayish green". Hmmm....well the photo above is close to the actual colour which I'd call a grey/green.

As for age, I've no idea. I'd guess 60/70's ish.

All I know is it needs some serious blocking as I don't think it's current bash suits me.

SDC10423.jpg
SDC10422.jpg
SDC10424.jpg
SDC10431.jpg

I'll post it on the Borsalino Brotherhood once it's in a fit state to wear.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
carldelo said:
Hi Boushi - if this was what you ordered in place of the Ashland, I think you made a good choice, it looks good on you. I love the gray, not black, ribbon and the brim-binding. I was considering the Whippet in tawny, and this makes me want to go try one on. Nice to hear it rebashes easily.
Thanks! I was a bit worried about how well it would suit me, but it was even better than I'd hoped. Actually, it looks a lot like the Deckard MD-1, only with smaller overall proportions. Perfect for a wide-brim-averse guy such as myself.

"Easily", however, is a matter of opinion. After I drenched the crown, I had to work it a bit to smooth out the rough spots, and a center dent is probably right out unless the felt loosens up some more. But for my first attempt at "fixing" a factory crease, it both was far easier and came out much nicer than I had expected.

Good to hear the tacky name tag comes right off, that's a must. Re: sizing strips, try to find plain, un-dyed felt squares at a craft type store (if those exist over there). Cut strips a little narrower than the sweat and they should work well, their fuzziness helps hold them in place, no dye means they won't seep color if they get soaked.
Thanks for the advice. Did I mention I'm new at this? :p

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Ephraim Tutt said:
SDC10431.jpg

I'll post it on the Borsalino Brotherhood once it's in a fit state to wear.

Well as usual I'll be the dissenter. I think that shape works fine for you. Isn't it always a mistake to re-bash a hat before giving it a few weeks of wear to see if you like it? lol

Happy holidays!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Fresh from the bay

Myvery first Borsalino and no doubt the most cheaply made hat I have ever owned. I am lead, by this, to believe that Borsalino must have various quality levels [huh] and I was unfortunate in this purchase, at least I go it cheap (thre is NO free lunch:eusa_doh: )
100_0220.jpg

100_0221.jpg

100_0222.jpg

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

100_0225.jpg

Season's Greetings,

Woody

Bassman

A-List Customer
boushi_mania said:
After I took the pictures, I noticed that the "STETSON" label by the bow, which I thought was sewn on, was actually just stuck onto the ribbon with tacky adhesive. I peeled it off and the hat is better for it.

Thanks for that tip!
I just peeled that off of my brand new Windham.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn