Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billysmom

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
I've had my eye on this hat for at least two years. A Knox Foxhound belonging to my wife's Grandpa that's in perfect condition (except for the sweat that's a bit cracked and a moth, those bastards, nibble in the front of the brim) but lacked the liner (grandpa had spilled gasoline inside the hat causing the liner's extinction). Now, in my collection of spare liners I had a gorgeous embroidered one that was a perfect match. Today, early X-mas present, grandpa finally gave it to me! To help me celebrate, my lovely wife made ginger cookies, check this one out!

DSC04432.jpg

and the cookie!

DSC04431.jpg

You are fortunate in your Grandpa-in-law and your wife, Aureliano! Merry pre-Christmas!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

SMS

suitedcboy

One Too Many
redhawks2 said:
A new to me Moe Penn beaver. I need to do a little reshaping on the crown but it is a very nice fedora as is.
AAA015.jpg

I like it!
Since it didn't come to live with me I am glad it got a caring home. That is a great lid and one I hadn't heard of before. Is that a private label made by one of the big boys or ??

Scott Wood

Practically Family
boushi_mania said:
I've heard that there are foam inserts one can find to adjust the fit for the time being, and that the hat will probably shrink over time to fit better; suggestions are welcome, however.
Even plain brown wrapping paper folded over as many times as necessary works well and is acid-free. You'll find that many things are not acid-free and will discolour anything they touch in time (Scotch tape is the very worst use masking tape).
I have great luck using the very thin and consistent foam they use for underlay on the new laminate/manufactured flooring.
Again, my two cents[huh] and again, a beautiful hat:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Woody

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
New hat - p2

So, as a follow up to this post, I've gone ahead and modified the crown into a relaxed diamond with a tighter pinch in front. It wasn't too hard to do, and now the felt is much more pliable on top—apart from the spots that formed the ridges of the C-crown, which are still a bit reluctant to let go of their former shape entirely. The crown doesn't seem to have tapered any, though the different bash might also account for things.

From the front:
IMG_3157.jpg

From the top:
IMG_3160.jpg

Hat on from the front, by request:
IMG_3162.jpg

After I took the pictures, I noticed that the "STETSON" label by the bow, which I thought was sewn on, was actually just stuck onto the ribbon with tacky adhesive. I peeled it off and the hat is better for it.

The only thing now is that the hat still doesn't seem to be shrinking in—if anything, it feels like it's getting looser! Is it the different bash? Am I doing something wrong? I really need to track down someplace in Japan that sells those foam insert things...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
boushi_mania said:
So, as a follow up to this post, I've gone ahead and modified the crown into a relaxed diamond with a tighter pinch in front. It wasn't too hard to do, and now the felt is much more pliable on top—apart from the spots that formed the ridges of the C-crown, which are still a bit reluctant to let go of their former shape entirely. The crown doesn't seem to have tapered any, though the different bash might also account for things.

After I took the pictures, I noticed that the "STETSON" label by the bow, which I thought was sewn on, was actually just stuck onto the ribbon with tacky adhesive. I peeled it off and the hat is better for it.

The only thing now is that the hat still doesn't seem to be shrinking in—if anything, it feels like it's getting looser! Is it the different bash? Am I doing something wrong? I really need to track down someplace in Japan that sells those foam insert things...

boushi_mania, you don't really need to buy inserts. Unless you want to. You can use soft tissue paper or, as I have, cut strips of an old cotton t-shirt that are less wide than the sweat. Put them inside and voila!.
About the hat shrinking. I had a similar problem with one of my hats. I soaked it in water. Completely, dripping wet. It shrank to a perfect fit. Mine didn't taper but that's something that, I guess, could happen. Also the brim can loose shape but if you're careful and tricky it won't happen.;)

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
bounty towels

I found that bounty paper towels neatly folded are a decent alternative.

frontal shot is good. the crown has a bit more taper to it than i like. but, as a modern hat it is sharp.

nice color too.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Big catch today!

Big haul from the bay today, but still going to take a lot of work to clean and fillet...
100_0219.jpg

A Stetson Sovereign original price 25$ little nibbles from the moth but they can be brushed over, will take a fair bit of work in shaping and the is about 1/4 pounder of dust/dirt in the nap.
100_0218.jpg

A Knox New York from Stern's, rich taupe and very, very little wear but the welt has some pretty large moth bites.:eusa_doh:
And last but not least:
100_0217.jpg

No. 1 Quality Stetson O.R., worn a lot, stained and dirty and I would guess that it was worn by someone painting something brown[huh]
Going to be kept busy anyway lol

Woody

P. & C. Habig Murau Velour

P. & C. Habig Murau Velour, size 59cm. Made in 1973 but still of very high quality (stitched liner, ect.). More details in the German - Austrian thread.

4203209339_8025595299_b.jpg

4203966114_d0044831e2_b.jpg

4203209473_9d3d88a0bc_b.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
American Hat Company Fedora

This appears to be a hybrid: Western-style felt and dimensions but creased like a fedora. American is in Houston and has made western hats for a long time. This one should wear like iron! I should post it on the Yard Hats thread ....

DSCF1810.jpg

3" brim, 6" uncreased crown, 1 11/16" ribbon, plenty of stiffener! Substantial felt.

DSCF1805.jpg

DSCF1806.jpg

DSCF1808.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

DSCF1809.jpg

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Deckard Headwear MD1 size 7 3/8. Very impressive! :eusa_clap

4203449237_58d0c87bc3_b.jpg

That is a gorgeous hat. Hope this isn't bad form, but I don't like seeing ribbons tacked on through the middle like that.

edited to add: not through the middle exactly, but not at the bottom.

ScottF said:
That is a gorgeous hat. Hope this isn't bad form, but I don't like seeing ribbons tacked on through the middle like that.

edited to add: not through the middle exactly, but not at the bottom.

Yes I noticed that too. I think the pics tend to make them jump out though.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billysmom said:
This appears to be a hybrid: Western-style felt and dimensions but creased like a fedora. American is in Houston and has made western hats for a long time. This one should wear like iron! I should post it on the Yard Hats thread ....

DSCF1809.jpg
[/CENTER]

Sue

Now that looks seriously FAB Sue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic